PDA

View Full Version : tcase chain

SIRed
12-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Well looks like Im going to put in a transfer case chain. I have read a few threads on doing this. Anyone have any suggestions on doing this? Do I have to rebuild the whole thing or can I just replace the chain?

Joliet Johnny
12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Im a visual kind of guy and youtube has some decent videos that show how to do it. At minimum I would replace all the seals or run to a pick-a-part and collect one, there around $100 where I am. Ill find you a good video if you know which Tcase you have.

BlueXJ
12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Except for changing the seals and the chain, I would inspect the gears/sprockets for excess wear. Look at the shafts also to see if they may have wear on them as well. FSM may be helpful if you have access to one.

4.3LXJ
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
When you replace the chain due to stretching, you have to replace the sprockets too. When the chain links lengthen, it causes wear on the sprockets so that there is more space between the teeth. Just like on a motorcycle or chain saw. If you put a new chain on, then the worn sprockets will cause the chain links to match them, causing the same condition you have now in a short time. Tony replaced his and had to do it again a year later because of this. You will have it all apart anyway so you won't have any more difficulty involved.

SIRed
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
can I order a rebuild kit from somewhere that has everything? on oreilys site it doesn't say what all is included in their rebuild kit.

4.3LXJ
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
ot sure about kits. But sprockets, chain and seals should do it. Seal the case with silicone.

xjmarc
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Get some GOOD lock ring pliers not the ones from a parts store. You'll thank yourself later.

gary63
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
will if you find the parts you need try this site http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=1