PDA

View Full Version : Welcome hitman!!!

cantab27
12-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi hitman, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

hitman
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you for letting me join your forum. Hopefully, I can learn a lot from you all and you can help me transform this street XJ into something I can take out and get dirty. :)

So, I picked up this XJ about a year ago. Nothing special...1999 4.0L 5 speed 4x4 Cherokee SE. Former NY vehicle...85k on it then. Sat for almost 3 years with all four windows left about an inch down. I replaced the floors, rear quarters, and rocker panels. Threw on some stock size 215/75R15 Cooper Trendsetter SE tires, and proceeded to drive it on road. I did install heated leather, the overhead console with display thingy, cruise, and fixed the A/C.

So what I have now is a Jeep that gets a very respectable 25.3MPG with the 3.08 rear gears. But, I'm not satisfied. I've been bit by the mud bug. This thing BEGS to get dirty. I'd like to lift it a bit...get some bigger rubber under it...lockers...etc. I like trails...not a big fan of rock crawling...LOVE mud. Any thoughts and suggestions on where to go next would be appreciated. This is going to be one of those drive it to the trail rigs...so I don't want it to be too high and too obnoxious on road.

I do have an Isuzu Rodeo for winter use and daily driver duties now, and the XJ comes off the road the end of the month for build time. I also don't have a whole lot of cash...so any ideas need to be on the low low low budget side. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to being part of the forum.

4x4Dalton
12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646
Here is a thread I did for a low low low budget. Using junk yard parts you can get a good lift on yer jeep for a fraction of the store brand price. I have a J/Y 4 1/2 inch lift on my 95 but it's got plans to grow up alot later on lol. Welcome to the family bro. We all get along here no bashing or hatin. If ya ever got questions feel free to ask away there's always someone on here that can help or point ya in the right direction. We have several XJ gurus on here as well. So don't just sit back and watch jump on in and have a blast :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

hitman
12-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I think I have a good line on a 3" or 4.5" lift at the junkyard for about $250. The only downside is I think one of the lower control arms is bent in the front (Jeep hit a tree hard on the passenger front.) I've read if you go 4.5" of lift or so that it's time for the SYE kit or face vibrations. Am I correct in this?

4x4Dalton
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
My 95 doesn't have a SYE in it at all. I've been on trails in mud and no issues. 4 1/2 with 31's now at one time I was runnin 33's on it still no issues

hitman
12-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Ok...that's good...I didn't really feel like putting one in. LOL

Brasscatz
12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Howdy and welcome to the site! Definitely a lot of good people and info on here. Bear is right with the J/Y lists. Sweet deal on that lift you found though. Every rig is different and you might be able to get away without a SYE or t/c drop, but maybe not. Hafta see on that one. Another way to help that out is to replace your slip yoke with a YJ slip yoke. They're built for steeper angles than ours are. Steve (4.3LXJ) can provide more specific info on the YJ yoke.

hitman
12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Another way to help that out is to replace your slip yoke with a YJ slip yoke. They're built for steeper angles than ours are. Steve (4.3LXJ) can provide more specific info on the YJ yoke.

See it's those kinda things I didn't know about. That's why I love forums! :D

4.3LXJ
12-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I think I have a good line on a 3" or 4.5" lift at the junkyard for about $250. The only downside is I think one of the lower control arms is bent in the front (Jeep hit a tree hard on the passenger front.) I've read if you go 4.5" of lift or so that it's time for the SYE kit or face vibrations. Am I correct in this?

It is possible to do 4.5" without an SYE. When you get ready to do it, I have a thread posted here on how to set up the drive line so it won't vibrate

XJ Wheeler
12-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah, 4.5" is done all the time without a sye. In fact, mine has a 4.5" (advertised) but i feel its taller. Anyway, i do. have a 3/4" t-case drop and 6° shims under the leaf springs but no sye. Although, every xj really is different. Also, i have heard several later XJs needing one even with 3", just something different with some.

Welcome to Xjtalk, Jason. Its just one big family here.

hitman
12-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah, 4.5" is done all the time without a sye. In fact, mine has a 4.5" (advertised) but i feel its taller. Anyway, i do. have a 3/4" t-case drop and 6° shims under the leaf springs but no sye. Although, every xj really is different. Also, i have heard several later XJs needing one even with 3", just something different with some.

Welcome to Xjtalk, Jason. Its just one big family here.

Ok, since I might be getting this lift kit, any idea where I might be able to get the lower control arms? If the one is bent (and I'm pretty sure it is) I'll need to replace it and I haven't seen many places offering just those arms.

4x4Dalton
12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Post up in the Wanted section here. There may be a member with a set they are wantin to part with. Also check yer local Craigslist there be someone parting a XJ out.

hitman
12-18-2012, 08:53 AM
There are very few lifted XJ's in the area. Everyone is into the Wranglers or big trucks. Also, I'll have to find out how much this thing is lifted to make sure I get the correct control arm, correct?

4x4Dalton
12-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Is it a fixed lower or adjustable?

hitman
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Is it a fixed lower or adjustable?

From what I remember seeing they are fixed arms. I've been looking through the stickies in the modding section and am learning quite a bit. Saw a few very nice sets in pics that are adjustable.

4.3LXJ
12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
There are very few lifted XJ's in the area. Everyone is into the Wranglers or big trucks. Also, I'll have to find out how much this thing is lifted to make sure I get the correct control arm, correct?

Here, this will make it easy for you

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

hitman
12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Here, this will make it easy for you

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

Thanks Steve! I'll have to measure the rear since the engine and trans are pulled out of it.

Mudderoy
12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you for letting me join your forum. Hopefully, I can learn a lot from you all and you can help me transform this street XJ into something I can take out and get dirty. :)

So, I picked up this XJ about a year ago. Nothing special...1999 4.0L 5 speed 4x4 Cherokee SE. Former NY vehicle...85k on it then. Sat for almost 3 years with all four windows left about an inch down. I replaced the floors, rear quarters, and rocker panels. Threw on some stock size 215/75R15 Cooper Trendsetter SE tires, and proceeded to drive it on road. I did install heated leather, the overhead console with display thingy, cruise, and fixed the A/C.

So what I have now is a Jeep that gets a very respectable 25.3MPG with the 3.08 rear gears. But, I'm not satisfied. I've been bit by the mud bug. This thing BEGS to get dirty. I'd like to lift it a bit...get some bigger rubber under it...lockers...etc. I like trails...not a big fan of rock crawling...LOVE mud. Any thoughts and suggestions on where to go next would be appreciated. This is going to be one of those drive it to the trail rigs...so I don't want it to be too high and too obnoxious on road.

I do have an Isuzu Rodeo for winter use and daily driver duties now, and the XJ comes off the road the end of the month for build time. I also don't have a whole lot of cash...so any ideas need to be on the low low low budget side. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to being part of the forum.

It depends. The 97+ Cherokees seem to have more of an issue with this. My 4.5" lift came with a 1" transfer case drop. So worse case is you can just drop the transmission cross member 1". SYE is the RIGHT way to do it though, and I highly recommend it.

hitman
12-18-2012, 11:29 AM
It depends. The 97+ Cherokees seem to have more of an issue with this. My 4.5" lift came with a 1" transfer case drop. So worse case is you can just drop the transmission cross member 1". SYE is the RIGHT way to do it though, and I highly recommend it.

My only issue with doing the SYE is the cost. If I had a cheap way of doing it, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

1ATony
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
welcome to the site

hitman
12-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Ok, so I measured up the rear of the parts Cherokee with the lift. It sits at 22" and the Jeep currently is sitting on 31x10.5x15's. They look so tiny under it. I'll post up some pics later. I did notice it has some swaybar disconnects in the front as well. Unfortunately, the engine, trans, transfer case, and front and rear driveshafts are out of it so I have no idea if it had a SYE setup. I also think it had just a bastard pack installed in the rear. Still no idea on the lift manufacturer, but maybe someone will know when I post up the pics.