PDA

View Full Version : Bigger gas tank and possible aux?

ArmyGuy45
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I have been doing some research online and came across this.

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=25

Cherokee XJ 125 Li main tank. This is a 33 gal and 13 gallons more than the stock tank.

Anyone ever tried this or even built their own tanks? I want to get more distance out of the Cherokee.

4.3LXJ
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I could build my won, but I currently have a 31 gal tank made here locally I snagged out of the pick and pull. The extra range is nice.

Carves
12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Thought about getting one for the last XJ ... but couldnt justify the cost since I could buy a lot of jerrycans - for the aux tank price .. :D

They turn up on e-bay.au from time to time tho.

I think there were two brands ... and theres also a, approx 10gal unit, that fits under the rear left floor pan when some LPG conversions are done.

Dunno whats actually still available down here these days .. but junglejuice can probably give you some more info when he spots this thread. He might even have a spare 2nd handy, laying around in his XJ parts stockpile.

As an aside ... theres bound to be some capable fab shop/fuel tank maker, stateside ... that could put something together for you.

ArmyGuy45
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
The reason why I ask is because right now we get about 330 out of each tank. I would like to increase that to 500+ either by using stock tank and an auxiliary tank or just a bigger main tank, or both ;)

700 would be awesome to get out of a Cherokee!!!

ArmyGuy45
12-17-2012, 12:28 AM
I have found this:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST3003
30.5 in place of the main tank.

Possible Aux tank of 13.5:
http://thelongranger.com.au/cherokeelongrangefueltank.html

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoLongRangeTank.htm
33 in place of the main tank.

What do you all think?

Pookapotamus
12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
I am running the Genright tank, cant say anything other than it fit great and is super beefy! one day i will actually fill it with gas!

Pook

ArmyGuy45
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I am running the Genright tank, cant say anything other than it fit great and is super beefy! one day i will actually fill it with gas!

Pook

How many gallons does it hold and did you install it?

Pookapotamus
12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/pookapotamus/Rigor%20Mortis/IMG_0338.jpg

Yes installed it myself, like I said I have not yet put any gas into it, Genright claims that it is a 30.5 gallon tank, I will have to see when I finally fill it.

Pook

ArmyGuy45
12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Was the install easy? Did the kit provide everything you needed for the install? How long did it take you?

Pookapotamus
12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Was the install easy? Did the kit provide everything you needed for the install? How long did it take you?

it took me a little over a year to install this, :rolleye0012: what happened was i buggered the tank in my 95, so i ordered this tank, Genright was in the middle of revamping their design on this tank when i ordered it so it took a couple of months to get one to my door, no biggie as in that time i decided to retire that jeep and build a much better version, and just recently got around to installing the tank. so the tank i have is for a 95, it did not directly bolt in as the front mounts don't exist on the 92 shell that i am using for my build, was not a problem, i just added 4 holes and dropped in some bolts on the frame. something else to consider is that this tank uses a different style of fuel pump, it uses a newer tj or zj style.

to actually install the tank only took about an hour or so, and the only thing you need to watch out for is pinching the vent line. you will have to supply your own hardware but its no big deal if you are already running a hitch.

Hope this helps,
Pook

ArmyGuy45
12-18-2012, 09:49 AM
it took me a little over a year to install this, :rolleye0012: what happened was i buggered the tank in my 95, so i ordered this tank, Genright was in the middle of revamping their design on this tank when i ordered it so it took a couple of months to get one to my door, no biggie as in that time i decided to retire that jeep and build a much better version, and just recently got around to installing the tank. so the tank i have is for a 95, it did not directly bolt in as the front mounts don't exist on the 92 shell that i am using for my build, was not a problem, i just added 4 holes and dropped in some bolts on the frame. something else to consider is that this tank uses a different style of fuel pump, it uses a newer tj or zj style.

to actually install the tank only took about an hour or so, and the only thing you need to watch out for is pinching the vent line. you will have to supply your own hardware but its no big deal if you are already running a hitch.

Hope this helps,
Pook

That is quite a story. Sounds like a lot of fun!!!. So you cant use the stock fuel pump? I just bought mine 10k miles ago. Where was this vent line pinch point at? Frame or chassis?

Pookapotamus
12-18-2012, 10:19 AM
the vent line runs from 2 points on the tank and they can get pinched between the frame and tank when you lift the tank in place

ArmyGuy45
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
the vent line runs from 2 points on the tank and they can get pinched between the frame and tank when you lift the tank in place

Ok sweet thx.

ArmyGuy45
12-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Does the fuel gauge work on this tank?

Pookapotamus
12-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Does the fuel gauge work on this tank?

the fuel gauge is part of the fuel pump assembly, when it goes into the new tank everything will work as normal.