PDA

View Full Version : Which type of radiator is the best?

dagod16
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I am going to need to put a new radiator in my jeep.

Which type is the best.

So far I'm thinking a two or three row aluminium.

What about an all metal radiator? Will it last longer or cost more?

Thanks
Rob

01 jeep cherokee xj

4.3LXJ
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Aluminum and all metal is better IMHO

dagod16
12-17-2012, 02:20 AM
I was thinking about that. Do I spend a bit more and get the all solid aluminium or get the one with plastic sides?

4.3LXJ
12-17-2012, 11:09 AM
My experience with plastic tanks is that there is an O ring in them that can fail. Also the plastic can be brittle. Also, it is a cost cutting measure that speaks a little bit of "cheap" to me.

Brasscatz
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't go with the plastic sides either. When the plastic fails, it's not as practical to fix it as it is with metal.

Mudderoy
12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd price it out, but I'd consider a $140 aluminum/plastic and change it out every 3 years. Spend more for an all aluminum but you'll need to keep it flushed from junk, or have it cleaned every so often.

Carves
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
I am going to need to put a new radiator in my jeep.

Which type is the best.

So far I'm thinking a two or three row aluminium.

What about an all metal radiator? Will it last longer or cost more?

Thanks
Rob

01 jeep cherokee xj

Which type is best ... is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string .. :D

Its all relevant to how, what, and where you drive .. ;)

As much as I hate the things ... a good quality, with appropiate sized core dimensions for the vehicle, plastic/aluminium rad ... in a well maintained cooling system ... will generally outlast a soldered copper/brass rad.

... but a leaky solder join in a copper/brass rad is easily fixed ... and the Al rads are more maintence intensive IMHO, with thin easily blocked tubes and corrosion issues ;)

Personally I dont like the all welded Al rads as they become a throw away sealed unit ... too expensive to strip for core inspection/cleaning ... be all right in a race car sponsored by the radiator company tho ;);)

... but - theres no plastic or seals to fail on them.

My 2row copper/brass has been an ideal replacement for the factory 2row plastic/aluminium rad.

It provides a little bit better cooling, not as fussy about the inhibitors required for corrosion protection ... and not as susceptible to electrolysis.

... but - highway speeds on washboard roads cause a leak now and then - despite all new rubber mounts ... and I dunno whether the core used on this one down here, is the same as the cores used on U.S. copper/brass rads.

... and then theres the issue of which cools "best" ... which is a whole other ballgame .. :D