PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to repace my radiator, need thoughts : )

dagod16
12-15-2012, 05:05 AM
So I find a drip or two or three on the floor once in a while. I find a little fluid on the inside of the plastic fan parts once in a while. I have not overheated or had reserve tank loss. I thought I would replace it before I have trouble.

Does it matter which type I should replace it with?

What is the name of the tool that takes of the cooling line at the bottom.?

How long will this take. Looks simple?

Two row or three row radiator?

Need comments.

Thanks
Rob

4x4Dalton
12-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Also check yer thermostat housing it may have a hair line crack in it. My 95 had that issue because PO over tightened the bolts.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

xjrev10
12-15-2012, 05:30 AM
I've always used parts store radiators with zero issues. I always replace the t stat and both hoses/clamps also unless they are fairly new..

I don't see what you have for a jeep but of you have a 87-90, consider swapping to a open cooling system.

dagod16
12-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I have an XJ.

I looked all around the water pump and thermostat housing and its all good. I seem some fluid at the bottom passenger side on the insdie near the fan and its coming from the radiator. But I'm not sure how it gets to other places in the jeep, maybe the fans move it around once in a while. I thought it might have been a heater hose but I can't seem to find a leaking hose.

How long will this take me to replace, it seems pretty simple.

Whats the tool that removes the trans cooler line.
Rob

dagod16
12-15-2012, 07:06 AM
I am driving to the dealer ship to replace the oil adapter seals, I already have the seals and just couldn't get the bolt loose. I will keep you posted.

Should I jump on this radiator or can it wait a few months. Is this a panic repair.

4x4Dalton
12-15-2012, 07:31 AM
If its a few drops here and there no big hurry.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

Mudderoy
12-15-2012, 08:45 AM
As you may know many government entities use, or used Cherokees in their fleets. One guy in the Houston area responsible for repairs said they had to change the radiators every 2 to 3 years.

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than a new aluminum radiator, and I found one being sold on Amazon for about $140 that was a large tube single row aluminum/plastic that worked well in my Jeep.

dagod16
12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
would a 2 or 3 row from autozone be ok. it is the same as original.

dagod16
12-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Ok I had the oil adapter seals all changed at the dealer and they look nice and dry. Maybe now I won't have all of that oil running down and getting wind blown all the way down the exhaust pipes and dripping on my garage floor.

Oil seals labor and an oil change was $118, the oil change was 29.99

bluedragon436
12-15-2012, 01:34 PM
As you may know many government entities use, or used Cherokees in their fleets. One guy in the Houston area responsible for repairs said they had to change the radiators every 2 to 3 years.

Yeah my XJ used to be a MD park ranger vehicle... and from what the mx department said.. all fluids and filters were changed regularly and the radiator and coolant was swapped out quite often... which makes me some what happier about the upkeep of my XJ prior to my purchase of it.

As far as replacement radiators I would say look into a single or maybe even dual core aluminum radiator to replace your stock one..

dagod16
12-15-2012, 04:30 PM
At the Weldon springs park near me they have two jeep cherokees XJ's and they both have over 100K on them, I asked. And they beat them to death.