PDA

View Full Version : H4 headlight conversion

Splatterific
12-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Just picked up a set of rampage headlight conversions. Was thinking if putting either just xenon bulbs or hid. Stock wiring can only only handle 60w which I don't think is much brighter or hid which is probably the way to go. Don't really want the wierd looking blue color. Something along the lines of oem cars with Hid. White with a sign hint if blue. What temperature would that be? Was thinking if doing the same I the fogs. Not sure if they'll fit the oem fogs though. Anyone try this one yet.

Sneedle Vision
12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
This is a very popular upgrade for our XJs.

Here is a link to one of numerous discussions on the topic. http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11989

Dredwolf
12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Just picked up a set of rampage headlight conversions. Was thinking if putting either just xenon bulbs or hid. Stock wiring can only only handle 60w which I don't think is much brighter or hid which is probably the way to go. Don't really want the wierd looking blue color. Something along the lines of oem cars with Hid. White with a sign hint if blue. What temperature would that be? Was thinking if doing the same I the fogs. Not sure if they'll fit the oem fogs though. Anyone try this one yet.

Upgrade the harness and go for it

XJ Wheeler
12-14-2012, 01:19 AM
I think you'll like the look of 6000-6500k, i too approve of the pure white with slight blue hue.

Splatterific
12-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Made the mistake of putting 10k in my grand and not that crazy about it. Too blue and loose allot of light. Gonna go with the 6k. Looks good. Ill try h3 amber in the fogs. Hid aren't going to fit unless I loose the weather cover on the bottom and then they'll just rot out.

Mudderoy
12-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Made the mistake of putting 10k in my grand and not that crazy about it. Too blue and loose allot of light. Gonna go with the 6k. Looks good. Ill try h3 amber in the fogs. Hid aren't going to fit unless I loose the weather cover on the bottom and then they'll just rot out.

Yep, I read an article a few years ago about how we see better in yellow light, so those bright blue lights look cool and all, but they are better to be seen than to see. I went with IPF and 80w/110w bulbs. I see good. :rolleye0012:

Splatterific
12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
80/100 watts. Regular halogen? Any wiring issues?

Dredwolf
12-14-2012, 10:50 AM

I did the same, but upgraded the harness with the Putco one. The LMC truck harness is an upgrade also. Tony did his too

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8360&highlight=headlight+harness

Mister
12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
i have a HID conversion and love it. i originally did the H4 with nice PIAA bulbs which had the color i wanted but not the output of the HIDs. i currently have mine at 6500K and are a little too blue for me. 5500K-6000K would be better.

Carves
12-17-2012, 03:41 PM

No issues with wiring ... as long as you fit a proper harness to replace the inadequate factory setup.

80w low beam will probably make oncoming drivers hate you ... unless you fit e-code lenses.