PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Skid

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Looking at upgrading. What ya got? How ya like it? How's it holding up?

prcjeep
12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Do you have a gas tank skid now? I have a factory gas tank skid... bolts through the "frame" to the same nut strips that they use for the reciever hitches. It has probably saved me from having to replace my gas tank as ive bent/broke just about everything else underneath. Check the junk yards for them...

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I've kinda kicked the stock skid out of the running, heard too many stories of smashing them into the tank.

I don't have one now, and plan on upping to harder trails (when/if i get the chance). I've found holes (not literal) in just about every skid made.

Skid Row - not a one piece, bolt together

Jcr - i like it but comes bare and costs more

Rustys - i like it too but have heard problems of fitment with receivers

DPG and others - only for '97+

So, i think I've narrowed it down to Jcr and Rustys. Any thoughts?

Pookapotamus
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
if you have the cash i would recommend the genright enduro tank, comes with a full 3/16" skid and gives you 5 gallons more volume, but its spendy!!!

sorry i have no experience with just the skid, never had one on my previous jeep and dented the crap out of my tank!

Pook

prcjeep
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
if you have the cash i would recommend the genright enduro tank, comes with a full 3/16" skid and gives you 5 gallons more volume, but its spendy!!!

sorry i have no experience with just the skid, never had one on my previous jeep and dented the crap out of my tank!

Pook
SHEESH! you weren't joking about the spendy part! $800!

http://www.eadoffroad.com/genright-gst-3003-jeep-xj-crawler-extended-range-gas-tank

Pookapotamus
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
ya it was spendy, but looks good under there! no more chushed tanks!
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/pookapotamus/Rigor%20Mortis/IMG_0338.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I had the factory skid. Bounced it off a couple of rocks, marked it good but did not hurt the tank

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Pook

Trust me, i would if i could. I've wanted one of those for years, but there's no way i can justify that, both financially and mentally.

nickxj94
12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Looking at upgrading. What ya got? How ya like it? How's it holding up?

I went with a CJ 5 tank skid on my 94

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I went with a CJ 5 tank skid on my 94

Now that's different. Pics?

nickxj94
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Now that's different. Pics?

I get some tomorrow in the day light lol

Dredwolf
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I had the factory skid. Bounced it off a couple of rocks, marked it good but did not hurt the tank

I picked up a factory skid, and will look at reinforcing it. I have to dismantle the rear bumper and class III receiver hitch anyway to install the JCR nutstrips, so I am going to do it right while I have it apart.

Gave $25 for the skid, and I already have 3/16 and 1/8 plate handy, looked at the other options, and just could not find something I really liked that was not a fortune.

bluedragon436
12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Been looking at the JCR one myself... but am def keeping my eye out for a stock skid in the JY!!

nickxj94
12-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Its worked fine I have bashed it a few times and its never gave in,this is best I could get lol 988front side I used some all thread for tank straps hold downs 989rear I drilled holes and bolted it to the under side of the body this is between the hatch and reaciver hitch. 990 991992993 CJ 5 gas tank skid will work lol

XJ Wheeler
12-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Very good ingenuity, looks factory.

nickxj94
12-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Very good ingenuity, looks factory.

Thanks it was free only thing I bought was a can of bedliner and sprayed both sides and my floors underneath the Jeep from rusting

XJ Wheeler
01-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Probably should update this. I ended up going with the Rustys skid plate, and will go on, hopefully, soon. Will give review at that time.

dagr8tim
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I picked up a factory skid, and will look at reinforcing it. I have to dismantle the rear bumper and class III receiver hitch anyway to install the JCR nutstrips, so I am going to do it right while I have it apart.

Gave $25 for the skid, and I already have 3/16 and 1/8 plate handy, looked at the other options, and just could not find something I really liked that was not a fortune.

I don't know if you've done this yet, but remember the JCR nut strips don't go all the way to the back of the sill. You have to use a nut and bolt on the rear most bolt holes.

When I had to pull the tank skid and receiver off to fix the subframe, I added some JCR nut strips. I've very happy with them. I did prime & paint them before installing.

Dredwolf
01-24-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't know if you've done this yet, but remember the JCR nut strips don't go all the way to the back of the sill. You have to use a nut and bolt on the rear most bolt holes.

When I had to pull the tank skid and receiver off to fix the subframe, I added some JCR nut strips. I've very happy with them. I did prime & paint them before installing.

Thanks for the tip, I pulled off the rear bumper this past weekend to remove the Class III hitch and prep, PO used OEM nutstrip on one side and just two bolts on the driver side. After using half a can of PB Blaster and a BFH to set up some vibration, things broke loose.

Going to prime and paint, but looking in those unibody frame "tubes" go me thinking....can you "flush" the unibody tubes?

Eastwood sells some frame sealer that uses a flexible "straw" nozzle to apply, no idea if that works.

I have looked at some frame coatings, and the reviews are mixed. Tempted to just use the Ace Hardware "rust paint" and call it a day.

LizardRunner
01-25-2013, 12:31 PM
The Eastwood stuff works well as long as you get it everywhere you want it (you can find longer "straws" at radio snack, or an electronics equipment supply store. I've used it before as well as Coreless paint The stuff they paint the golden gate bridge with.

NW99XJ
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

X2!!!
I loved having my JCR nutstrips on hand when I did my hitch and skid install....made things go so much more smoothly, AND I like the fact of having that larger grade hardware back there securing everything in place.

Dredwolf
01-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I primed and painted them (hung them in the sun to dry), and examined the skid plate and the Class III hitch...got a 1" inch crack in the driver side unibody at the third hole in....trying to decide what to do about it.

And trying to figure out how to flush out the unibody rails...losts of trash and dirt in there.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Got some pics?

Dredwolf
01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Got some pics?

I'll take some, want to fix this right.

And I have time, since those blasted front leaf spring bolts are not even budging with a 24" breaker bar or my little cheap 1/2" impact..

Dredwolf
01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I need to find a way to take a snapshot with my cheap inspection camera, it's been very handy, but it does not have the still feature.

Dredwolf
01-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Got some pics?

I leave work early enough to get Steve some pics, and the mother of all winter thunderstorms is coming through.....all my trash cans are wedged under the XJ by the wind...:mad:

4.3LXJ
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Aw, I feel the love. :love0007:

gary63
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I primed and painted them (hung them in the sun to dry), and examined the skid plate and the Class III hitch...got a 1" inch crack in the driver side unibody at the third hole in....trying to decide what to do about it.

And trying to figure out how to flush out the unibody rails...losts of trash and dirt in there.

will the way I clean out my is I used a shop vac. at one end and use airhose at the other and bloow it out using a scope to look inside then i used eastwood
frane sealer and then there frame ceramic paint it work perty good.

Dredwolf
01-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Does the frame sealer with the extended tube work well? The idea is appealing, but reading reviews on some of their products indicates quality on some products has dropped

Dredwolf
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
As requested....

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3427

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3428

And why not, a pic of the cheap parts store extended shackle....:P

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3429

4.3LXJ
01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
OK, thanks for the pic. Is this the last hole toward the front or back?

Dredwolf
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
OK, thanks for the pic. Is this the last hole toward the front or back?

Check the shackle pic, its towards the front...I'll clean up the metal this weekend, might get to sandblast the hitch too.

4.3LXJ
01-31-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't think it is anything to worry about. But you could fix it if you want. Ever fix cracks before?

Dredwolf
01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't think it is anything to worry about. But you could fix it if you want. Ever fix cracks before?

Not like this, but on regular frames, I would lightly grove it (and clean and prep), watch the heat, and weld past the crack...severe enough would get a plate too. Same on the unibodies?

Thoughts on this? I am using the JCR nutstrips, thinking about fabricating some uni-body tie-ins too.

4.3LXJ
01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
The only thing to add to the welding is to drill a hole in the end of the crack. That keeps it from spreading after welding. The nutstrips will be fine

gary63
02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
as for eastwood stuff I haven't had that meny problems if I did they fix it right away but if youare useing the frame paint with the toob just use all of it in the can it is hard touse after the paint drys in the toob.I use a nother paint after it becouce it isn't that hard and we how sand around here.

Dredwolf
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Finally got back to this on this weekend, but was so busy, did not get to take any pics....:rolleyes:

I got out the Dremel to prep the cracks (figuring a 4.5" grinder would be over kill) and found yet another crack, inside corner near the tank.:bang:

So I dropped the tank to make room...1/2 full of fuel because the sharp downward turn once the siphon hose got to the tank defeated me. Used a scissor type tranny jack to strap the tank to for lowering, worked pretty good.

So the tank is down, and I am inspecting, and the sheet metal oval tube through the unibody rail is bad rusted, and yet ANOTHER crack near the bumper bolts...borrowed my wife's HF cordless dremel-style tool, not bad at all!:rolleye0012:

She ended up giving it to me, as she said it was really too big for her jewelry work and her hands compared to the genuine Dremel cordless we had purchased for her recently.

All these cracks on the driver side, but the passenger side was in good shape. The PO used small washers to install the 2" receiver hitch, so I can only assume poor installation made the damage worse.

I have got to build or buy a DIY rear bumper at some point....how stout can these unibody rails be? My plan was to use the 2" receiver hitch with Detours Class 3 recovery brackets....but will the unibody take that?:confused:

dagr8tim
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Jeep used nutstrips for skid plate & hitch installs. Their official name is sill plate reinforcement. JCR makes some nice aftermarket ones. I'd invest in a set of oems or aftermarket.

I'm running JCR's on my XJ.

Dredwolf
03-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Jeep used nutstrips for skid plate & hitch installs. Their official name is sill plate reinforcement. JCR makes some nice aftermarket ones. I'd invest in a set of oems or aftermarket.

I'm running JCR's on my XJ.

I bought a set of the JCR's before I started this repair, but I am wondering about how strong even an aftermarket bumper would be.:confused:

I'll try to find the thread where someone took some 4"x2" tube, and trimmed it like a wedge to fit into the unibody rail, and drilled it like a nutstrip, and added plates to bolt the bumper.

Dredwolf
04-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Bumping this thread....my OEM XJ gas tank skid plate is a no-go for my '99:bang:...its close, but the rear lip will need to be cut at the welds and re-formed to work on my '99 with a plastic tank....

A aftermarket bumper may conceal the re-work, but not sure.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
What is a little welding among friends anyhow?