PDA

View Full Version : Which jeep is worthy.

Yaman
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Good day:
Nubbie to the form and looking for your advice.
We have two xjs a 92 with 156 klm and a 2001 with 255klm both are stock now.
The 92 is my wifes full load really clean no rust mint inside but needs paint clear coat issues.The 2001 is mine full load and is also stock.i have a 3" procomp lift on the bench and having a hard time deciding witch to put it under.I have been reading a lot of forums and still havin issues.
The main delay is i have developed a noise from the trany in the 2001.It makes like a ratching sound when starting out but goes away after it shifts.This is not all the time only when you drive it a while and then let it sit for 10-15 min then take it out and it appears again not every time.I have done the oil and filter in the trans it got better. i almost think it might be the shifting valve inside not getting its pressure allowing it to pulsate causing the sound but again this is speratic.
The sound does not sound like grinding it a hollower sound.
Any ideas!!!!:out:

4.3LXJ
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Only in first gear?

Yaman
12-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Hay good day 4.3 lxj.
Yes only in first gear and only when it is warm and has sat for a bit after a drive.( but not every time)I'm confused a bit.
When driven the trans shifts nice good response and down shifts good even if you drive it hard the trans works good.
I have read talk about lots of other issues but i havent came across this in the forums yet.
I'm thinking i might try some of this additive to break down the varnish from the old oil and change it again see if that will work.Who knows might just be chasin my tail but i'll try all the cheap fixes before a trans replacment. Any Ideas???

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
You are right this is a weird one. I think the additive idea is a good start. Might be a shift solenoid not working right at first, but gremlins like that are hard to prove.

Yaman
12-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I want to try the additive before taking to the shop for them to hook up and do a pressure test on the trans at a cost of 150. and hope the problem shows it self while testing or it is money wasted.
I was thinking maby installing a shift loc kit has anybody installed one and how were the results.

Pookapotamus
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi Blaine, I will throw in my two cents, I my self am partial to the earlier xj's and that one would be my bet to take off road, its going to get beat up off road and the older ones are easier to find parts for, and taking a newer clean xj and beating it up might not be your thing, also resale on the newer will be better if you decide to get rid of it in Favor of another vehicle for some reason. do they both have the aw4 transmission? that might also influence your decision. also do they both have antilock brakes? that might also be an influence as abs can be a pain offroad. are they both 4 doors?

As for your tranny issue, what does the fluid look like? how did you change the fluid? just a simple pan drain and filter change? if so you might want to try a complete flush just draining the pan only changes about 4 liters in the 12 liter system. pull the tranny dip stick and drop a couple drops onto something white that will not absorb the oil (a plastic bottle top works good), if the fluid is not bright red its bad. Personally I hate additives, just don't trust a chemical fix for a mechanical problem.

Good luck and let us know what jeep you decide to build up.

Pook

Yaman
12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Good Day pook:
I understand about resale but i don't think they going any where soon i have a daughter that wants mine and the wife well lets just say it is hers lol.
I was out looking at them and as for mechanical witch is the better as for the enginas and tc both have the AW4 trans the 92 has a 242 tc and the 01 has 231 tc both are four doors ohya the 01 has factory skid plates.also checked for ABS and 92 only i going to try to get pics up soon.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm with Pook. Wheel the 92. My reasoning stems from the more temperamental engine, with the extra O2 sensors and known misfire issues you don't need to deal with. The 231 is a better tcase for wheeling however due to aftermarket support. But ...

If the 01 has an 8.25 axle it will have stronger axles and better for locking and save you some money there.

Yaman
12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok so there good and bad with both rigs.
How do i tell if it is a 8.25 in the 01 ?
What are the deferences in the 242 tc and the 231 tc?
Also can I interchange the tcs?
This is what i was thinking if it is a 8.25 rear end and i can swap out the tcs.
Little bit more work but i could do it.
Is this what you would do?

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't believe the t- cases will swap around, different output shaft spline count.

To tell if its an 8.25... Look below the diff cover from the rear and it would be squared of on the bottom. Because your '92 has abs it should have the Dana 35, so you can look at it for reference to see the difference. Also on the top of the third member about halfway from front to back the 8.25 will have four prongs/nubs sticking up that are made into the housing. And if youre still having trouble figuring it out, post up a pic of the pumpkin from the rear. One of us will let you know.

As far as swapping... The 8.25 is stronger but if you never plan on doing a locker or going above 31s with hard wheeling or swapping in a V8 the Dana 35 should do just fine.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Ok so there good and bad with both rigs.
How do i tell if it is a 8.25 in the 01 ?
What are the deferences in the 242 tc and the 231 tc?
Also can I interchange the tcs?
This is what i was thinking if it is a 8.25 rear end and i can swap out the tcs.
Little bit more work but i could do it.
Is this what you would do?

Here is how you know what you have for a rear end. Look at the rear cover on it and compare its shape to this diagram

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/JeepDiffs.jpg

The 242 is a good case, but it has a full time option. The only draw bac is that if you use the full time a lot, like all the time, then the chain will stretch and need to be replaced. The 231 does not have this option and has less moving parts. It is easier to get slip yoke eliminators and can be upgraded with the Chevy 231 parts for a heavier chain etc. I don't think you can swap your cases, not because they won't bolt up, but because the output shaft on the tranny has 21 splines on the 92 and 23 on the 01

gary63
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
i would wheel the older one the 2001 has a lp30 front and a odd coil setup with no after market replacement. and a head that cracke easyer.i have a 2000 and i will doing alot of changing out on my biuld.

Showtime3492
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
i would wheel the older one the 2001 has a lp30 front and a odd coil setup with no after market replacement. and a head that cracke easyer.i have a 2000 and i will doing alot of changing out on my biuld.

Coil pack set up you mean?? You can upgrade the 00 coil pack using a dodge viper front 6 cylinder coil pack for cheaper than a factory replacement one for a jeep.

Yaman
12-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks alot guys for the info:
Yes the 01 is a 8.25 and the 92 is a d35 rear end.
Now here is another question will the doors off the newer style 98& up fit my 92?
The reason for this is I like not havin the little quarter window for wheelin and jeneral driven with my arm and head out the window.Also the 92 is full load and the door panels are cloth which mud is attracted to and the new style seem to be plastic and easer to clean.
What are your thoughts?

Yaman
01-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Well good day:
I made a decision and my wife is so happy.I put the lift in her 92 and it looks good.
I never had trouble with not one bolt.I was surprised notta one!
Thanks to all the advice and reading several treads I decided to go with the 92.
I tried to put up some pics but dont know how or it wont let me lol.

Mudderoy
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Well good day:
I made a decision and my wife is so happy.I put the lift in her 92 and it looks good.
I never had trouble with not one bolt.I was surprised notta one!
Thanks to all the advice and reading several treads I decided to go with the 92.
I tried to put up some pics but dont know how or it wont let me lol.

This is great to hear! It is very rare when something like this happens. I mean wives are almost NEVER happy. :D

No that's great about the bolts. Amazing really.

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Keep the wife happy. That way when your turn comes she won't complain

Yaman
01-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes a happy wife is a happy life.
I tried to post pics but I must be doing something wrong or maby I cant post here don't know.
She is really tickled and cant wait for some spring mud to try it out.
I went out and plowed threw some snow about 18" deep worked awesome.
Now I have to put the 235 winters back on and till mud din time.
So for the next steps will take some time but going to build my some bumpers front and back and a roof rack to carry our 12' boat and out board motor.
I was also looking at Pinks console and seat swap i think this will happen also i have a donnor 97 for this.

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
There are two methods for posting pics. The best is to use a free image hosting service called Photobucket. It makes your pics the most manageable and lets you archive them also in case something happens. You just copy the "IMG" code for the pic and paste it and it will automatically download. Works good in email too. The other is to use the manage attachments button at the bottom when you use the "Go Advanced" button for posting. But if you are doing a build thread or something, the Photobucket is much better