PDA

View Full Version : Auto Zone robbery

01xjcny
12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/autozone-fires-worker-who-stopped-robbery.html

AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery

By Todd Starnes

An AutoZone worker who stopped an armed robbery by retrieving a weapon from his truck said he was fired by the company for violating their gun policy.

Devin McLean and his store manager were about to close the AutoZone in York County, Va. when a gunman barged into the store.

“He pulled a gun from his waist band and demanded me and my manager go back into the office,” McLean told Fox News.

At some point, McLean was left in a restroom while the gunman made the manager open the store safe. That’s when McLean, a 23-year-old Air Force veteran, bolted through a side door and ran to his truck.

He returned through the front door holding a Glock 40 – pointed directly at the masked robber.

“I told him to freeze and to drop his weapon,” McLean told Fox News.

Instead, the robber took off – last seen running down the street from the store.

“I watched him run down the street,” he said. “I came back inside and made sure my manager was okay and he called the police.”

The York County Sheriff’s Dept. believes the bandit is responsible for as many as 30 robberies across the region.

“One of the officers asked why I didn’t shoot the robber,” McLean said.

Sheriff J.D. Diggs told Fox News he considers McLean to be a hero.

“He did a very brave thing,” the sheriff said. “He put himself in jeopardy in an attempt to make sure his friend was safe. He did a very brave thing.”

The part-time worker’s manager was especially thankful and credited McLean with saving his life.

But two days after the robbery – and just a week before Thanksgiving – McLean was fired.

Television station WTKR reported that McLean violated corporate policy by leaving the store and returning with a weapon.

The station spoke to a representative from the company’s corporate office who said they had a “zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.”

An AutoZone spokesman told Fox News they will not discuss the matter.

“It was a surprise to me,” McLean said. “I did the right thing. I saved the company $2,000. I saved one of their manager’s lives – and you’re letting me go? It was a slap in the face.”

McLean said the firing came at a difficult time. He’s about to be a first-time father.

“We’re having a little boy,” he said. “I remember when the guy came in with that gun. My initial thought was I want to make it home to my family. I want to have the opportunity to meet my son and for my son to meet his dad. And for someone to come in and shove a gun in your face?”

So why not just keep running? Why go back inside the store – and risk your own life?

“I regard them as my family,” McLean said of his co-workers. “You’re not going to leave your brother or sister behind.”

It’s a lesson he learned in the Air Force.

“Never leave a man behind,” he said. “I’m not going to leave my brother in a room with a guy with a gun – that’s threatening his life.”

In spite of losing his job, McLean said his actions would be the same if it happened again.

“I wouldn’t change anything,” he said.

The sheriff said he was disappointed to hear that McLean lost his job on account of stopping the robbery.

“That’s certainly unfortunate,” he said. “They should be doing something to reward that young man instead of firing him.”

Sheriff Diggs said AutoZone has also sent an unintended message to the community.

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money,’” he said.

Meanwhile, the backlash against AutoZone is spreading. Cam Edwards, of NRA News, called AutoZone’s decision an “injustice.”

“It may have been corporate policy to fire Devin McLean, but it’s also an injustice. He came to the aid of a fellow employee threatened by an armed robber and was canned. They should have named him employee of the year.”

He said the nation needs more people like McLean.

“He had the chance to run away but instead he chose to arm himself with his legally owned gun and save the life of his supervisor,” Edwards told Fox News. “Wouldn’t we all like to work with someone like Devin?”

Customers have launched a boycott against the company on Facebook and a petition has been started urging them to rehire McLean.

“There’s a Pep Boys right around the corner,” one irate customer wrote on Facebook.

cpttuna
12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Bottom line: he brought a weapon into the store. TANGO FOXTROT BRAVO

Mudderoy
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the Zone, ahhh, a gun free zone.

This probably has to do more with financial liability than anything else. If someone is injured by a non Auto Zone person Auto Zone won't be financially liable.

Bottom line is, don't work for a company that has a no gun policy. Basically you're putting your life on the line so your employer doesn't get sued.

Showtime3492
12-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Bottom line: he brought a weapon into the store. TANGO FOXTROT BRAVO

I work for autozone. I would have done the same thing. Thats Bull! I work for autozone and i shop at advanced auto. There is a reason for that.

XJMJeep
12-05-2012, 11:38 PM
The Fox News Interview

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2011960289001/

msmoorenburg
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I work for autozone. I would have done the same thing. Thats Bull! I work for autozone and i shop at advanced auto. There is a reason for that.

1 trip to SEMA/AAPEX and you soon will realize it's all coming from the same place. Just in a new wrapper

Showtime3492
12-06-2012, 08:13 AM
1 trip to SEMA/AAPEX and you soon will realize it's all coming from the same place. Just in a new wrapper

But boil it Down to life or death. If he hadn't gotten the gun and the guy hadn't run, what happens at that autozone if there is now a huge bloodstain from two dead workers. Then the company would be dealing with that. And people would have wanted to see more done.
I have an issue with how certain people walk in and the attitude they convey so when I'm working there I make sure that should something happen there is some sort of defense near me. Not saying he shouldn't have been suspended or something but not fired for doing the right thing. They could have suspended him and made it look much better on their part. Just another reason I will continue to shop elsewhere. My 20% discount is not enough to gain my business. Advanced also gives me more discount through promo codes anyways. Lol

prerunner1982
12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
The last corporate company that I worked for had a policy that you could not fight back if the store was robbed. Told my boss I could give a rat's *** about the damn money, but I am not going to let someone come in here and threaten me or anyone else in this store. I would beat their *** and still let them have the damn money cause I am going to lose my job anyways.

Mudderoy
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM

My step-son went through 5 alternators from Auto Zone. I told him to go to Oreilys. I know what you're saying and maybe it was just a run of bad parts, or maybe it's the guy that worked there putting bad alternators back. I don't know I just know that I don't shop there anymore because I'm not going to risk re-installing even one alternator.

msmoorenburg
12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
But boil it Down to life or death. If he hadn't gotten the gun and the guy hadn't run, what happens at that autozone if there is now a huge bloodstain from two dead workers. Then the company would be dealing with that. And people would have wanted to see more done.
I have an issue with how certain people walk in and the attitude they convey so when I'm working there I make sure that should something happen there is some sort of defense near me. Not saying he shouldn't have been suspended or something but not fired for doing the right thing. They could have suspended him and made it look much better on their part. Just another reason I will continue to shop elsewhere. My 20% discount is not enough to gain my business. Advanced also gives me more discount through promo codes anyways. Lol

Oh I agree with you (I would rather be Judged by 12 than carried by 6) My reference is in quality of parts from local parts houses. In my area autojoke is the cheapest (best warranty) Advanced is a little more but 10 more miles after 15 to autozone. O'rlieys is always higher than a camel's private and the worst on warranty. Shoot XLParts gives me employee discount always (15% cheeper than rockauto) but its a 2 hr round trip to that store. So its all about preference.

Mudderoy
12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
This world would be a lot better place if people did what was right instead of what was acceptable.

editedforsafety
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Most corporate retailers have the same policy. I guess their idea is make it against the rules to bring a gun in the store, in an attempt to keep people from doing dumbass things with guns. I don't know why they can't just be satisfied with having a rule against doing dumbass things with guns. Maybe it's just easier to write it up that way.

I've never agreed with making something against the rules to try and keep people from breaking other rules.

4.3LXJ
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
It is just a matter of rigid rules or common sense.

thesupercroc
12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
It is just a matter of rigid rules or common sense.

They say that in today day and that common sense is so rare it might as well be a super power.

this and other stories like seem to confirm that. nuts I tell you.

Showtime3492
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh I agree with you (I would rather be Judged by 12 than carried by 6) My reference is in quality of parts from local parts houses. In my area autojoke is the cheapest (best warranty) Advanced is a little more but 10 more miles after 15 to autozone. O'rlieys is always higher than a camel's private and the worst on warranty. Shoot XLParts gives me employee discount always (15% cheeper than rockauto) but its a 2 hr round trip to that store. So its all about preference.

I agree. Napa used to be the store of choice for me. But then they all of a sudden started giving me the wrong parts. So gave up on that. Major fail on autozones part. I only work their for extra money part time so I don't overly care but still its a bad image to be part of Imo

01xjcny
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
well the policy at the big chain store i work for you would be fired just for having the gun in your car if some how someone reported it

thesupercroc
12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
well the policy at the big chain store i work for you would be fired just for having the gun in your car if some how someone reported it

A lot of states now that would not fly. I know ND is that way.

Here is the same type of law in MN

624.714 Subd. 18. Employers; Public Colleges and Universities.
(a) An employer, whether public or private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may be invoked for a violation.
(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's property. Academic sanctions may be invoked for a violation.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

So at least in MN they can tell you that no gun while working but in the parking areas you are good to go. so check your state laws.

I am not an attorney nor did I play one on tv again check your state and local laws!

XJ Wheeler
12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
How about next time they have the corporate ninnies tell the armed robbers their policy. I wonder how they would feel if it were them in that managers position. I bet the policy might just change.

Brasscatz
12-07-2012, 07:02 AM
It's amazing to me how some of these people believe that criminals will follow gun control laws. The only people that will follow gun control laws will be the people you WANT to have guns, just like this hero employee. I saw a video on facebook the other day showing an internet cafe... There was a man that came in with a gun and an old man with a CHL pulled his firearm and saved everybody's lives. THAT'S what we need in this country. Criminals would think twice about robbery if we all were allowed to defend ourselves.

http://youtu.be/YTct7OB_n78

bluedragon436
12-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I think that is BS... Funny thing about it... I talked to the AZ managers in my area, which happens to be four of them that I pass on my way home from work, and none of them said they ever heard anything about said rule... so I don't think that it is really a widely known rule in the first place... and on top of that... it's not like he just brought it in to show off, or to clean or anything like that... the only reason he even had it in the store in the first place was to stop a robbery and save a co-worker/friend.... I mean hell if they were worried about their associates using a gun to kill a robber and then have that robber's family turn around and sue.... then they should probably put all items like the Club (steering wheel lock), crow bars, torque wrenches and other possible weapons in a locked cage, so that if needed an associate couldn't use one of them to defend himself, the store or co-workers and possibly kill a would-be robber causing a lawsuit... I think that rule is complete BS, and hope that the Facebook page where people are signing this petition to get this very much justified in his actions, vetran his job back.

xj4life2
12-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Ok let me start by saying I worked for Chief Auto for 21yrs and the policy has remained the same after the Autozone buy out. He knew what he was doing was against policy. However he also has military training , this can take over in a hostile situation and his reaction was probably just "normal" responce to this situation. I do not believe that he should have been terminated , but offered counciling to see if this was a PTSO reaction. I think it may have been.If you kick in enough doors in a hostile enviorment certian things become second nature,trust me its true. As for the parts issue , I think that NAPA has the best quality in the business. Autozone probably the best pricing structure and O'rielly's the worst rotating electrical. My personal choice is the dealer for factory parts, do the research and you will find they are not that much more and sometimes cheaper. lastly .. If I could have gotten to a weapon during that situation ........