PDA

View Full Version : Front limited slip differential?

bobbyv
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
How can I tell if I have a limited slip front differential on my 2001 xj, part time, Dana 30? Without taking the cover off.

Can it be checked like you would the rear? Jack it up and spin the wheels thing. With 3 previous owners and 145000 miles, I'm not sure what's been done or not.

The rear is for sure NOT limited slip.

Nailed it on the beach the other day and I swear when I looked back, there were 2 tracks dug in the sand. Whats up? Any info would help, Thanks

4.3LXJ
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Welcome Bobby

Jack up a front wheel with the transfercase in 2WD. Try to spin the wheel. If it spins, you do not have limited slip or locker. If it doesn't spin except under torque, then you have a limited slip. If it won't spin no matter what you do it has a locker.

bobbyv
12-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks alot 4.3LXJ, did what you said and sure enough it's NOT a limited slip. Soon as I am able $$$ will try and get a Powertrax or something to go in the front first, then probably the same in the rear.

Don't do a lot of serious hardcore offroading but would like to have a little more insurance. Had to give up my Subaru Outback because it cannot be towed as easily 4 down like our Cherokee. No matter, we love our Cherokee, but the subaru saved our butts many a time.
We just want to feel as secure in the jeep, hence more traction.

Many thanks again.

4.3LXJ
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Bobby, I understand what you are saying. I have both. You may not have realized it, but you have probably opened up a discussion about the wisdom of getting a front or rear locker first. We shall see if that happens.

Dredwolf
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Did someone say LOCKERS?

:smiley-laughing021:

I will be installing whichever one arrives first when I place the order:D

LizardRunner
12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd lock the front first.

denverd1
12-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I want one. not sure if front or rear. But I'm on 33's and not sure if i should regear (both axles) before I start locking things. i'd rather just start with lockers. plus i think i can install lockers while gears would take more tools and guages than I currently have. plus would prolly involve pulling the axles to make things easier...

LizardRunner
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
If you do the rear first, then you don't have to go to 4wd to engage and you can get wheel chirp even in 2wd on the roads. If you lock the front first then you have to go to 4wd before you get the lock but you can drive on the roads without wheel chirp possibilities. If you go to air/ electric/ cable types then you don't have to worry about wheel chirp at all.

Mudderoy
12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
If you do the rear first, then you don't have to go to 4wd to engage and you can get wheel chirp even in 2wd on the roads. If you lock the front first then you have to go to 4wd before you get the lock but you can drive on the roads without wheel chirp possibilities. If you go to air/ electric/ cable types then you don't have to worry about wheel chirp at all.

Holy crap! I didn't think of this. I'll be able to lock up the rear (selectable) and still be in 2WD. Great for those rainy days and the rear end wants to get all squirrely on launch, ummm I mean careful acceleration...

4.3LXJ
12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I knew this would happen with this thread :D

89Laredo
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a welded 8.8 in the jeep now, will let you guys know what I think when I finally get the front lifted...

denverd1
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM

thats good to know! I'm assuming this applies to the "lunchbox" locker like lock-rite, spartan, etc, right?

LizardRunner
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
yes the "limited slip" types when mounted in the rear (or front) can cause wheel hop or tire chirp if they have engaged while your in a turn. I've got OX front and rear so I don't have to worry about that irritating feature. If your going with one of the LSD types, then the front axle makes more sense simply because it won't engage while your not in 4wd but will engage when you really need it since you will be in 4wd. My WJ is 4wd all the time hence the Ox lockers so I can decide when to be locked and when not to be locked. Selectables make the most sense if you have the dollars for them.

4.3LXJ
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
A couple of things I would like to comment on. First limited slip very rarely will cause a chirp in the rear unless they are set up really stiff. To my knowledge the only one that could be was the Spicer Power Lock, which I don't think is manufactured any more. Too bad, it was an awesome versatile limited slip. The others will not chirp a tire. The next best thing is the Detroit True Trac, which they claim is not a limited slip since they do not employ clutches. They market a front and rear version with about 40 and 70% lockup respectively.

An automatic locker, whether lunchbox or not will cause a wheel chirp, but if you don't put your foot in it at a stop and turn the wheel, then they don't. As far as front and rear, depends. A front locker is almost worthless on a hill. The steeper the less it is good for. However, on flat ground, a front locker can be of great advantage.

LizardRunner
12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks Steve. Until this rig, all I ever had equipped with a locker was a hill climber. During that build, the mechanic wanted to install a spool but I knew that would not work on the turns I was going to be running. The drag car had a spool, worked great down the straights, and it didn't matter on the turn-around since I was being pulled back to the pits. When I would take that hill climbing car on the streets, it would hop and squeel a tire unless I was under 5 mph at the start of the turn.

bobbyv
12-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, "sorry Steve" lol. In light of all the info, and the fact that our offroading is intended to be moderate. You never know where you just might wind up when you go exploring, so I think I'll just save up and put a limited slip in both ends at the same time.

I'm going on 72 and am not quite as adventurous as I used to be, but my heart is still in it. I will probably always want to see where that road goes, wonder whats over the next hill, hey lets go see whats over there, and so on.

So, many thanks for the comments and help. This is a really great site.