PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle in Cherokee, then stalled and no start

Kim
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Hello.....just registered on this forum. I have a 1994 XJ that now won't start. It does have a few problems, one of which is the neutral safety switch. To get around that, a remote starter was installed. Ignition coil had gone bad and was replaced recently. It was sitting for a while (broken and would not start) due to finances for me and I was struggling with my home based business that I have had for many years. Finally got it running again with the help of two knowledgable friends, and it is now broken again. Last Monday it started idling rough, just one time at a red light. Next day it stalled out going around a turn. Was very difficult to get it started. Because of my current work schedule was unable to get it looked at, and it got worse and it is stuck in the parking lot where I work. Friend looked at it and while there, it started 3 times and quickly stalled out. Now won't start at all. It is not the fuel pump. Fuel filter was replaced before it died the first time, but then it sad for 9 months. It is giving error codes 21 and 23. 21 is oxygen sensor and 23 incoming air temp sensor. My friend (who is a heavy equipment mechanic) said no spark when he was looking at it, but he did not check the coil, and he realized that after we were on our way back.

A few other details: starter is good and had been replaced a few years ago, was pulled and tested good......battery is new and alternator was replaced a few months before all the trouble first time.

Few questions.....would the oxygen sensor keep it from starting? Would you suspect the ignition coil and could that cause rough idling? Would you suspect the fuel filter?

Thanks for your help!
Kim

4.3LXJ
12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
We had one a short time ago with a failed O2 sensor that did what yours is doing. If you have a code for it, start there. The only other thing you may end up doing is replacing the crank position sensor. It can cause the same symptoms you are describing too and is a common problem after high milage.

Dredwolf
12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
We had one a short time ago with a failed O2 sensor that did what yours is doing. If you have a code for it, start there. The only other thing you may end up doing is replacing the crank position sensor. It can cause the same symptoms you are describing too and is a common problem after high milage.

X2 on what Steve said, mine had similar symptoms, new CPS and water temp sensor, and its running much better.

cantab27
12-03-2012, 11:19 PM
bad tps will make it stall out ..but plays shit with the auto as well...