PDA

View Full Version : AW4 Issues

Gymguyjeep
12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Recently my AW4 has been going through periods where it won't shift through the gears. In other words, if I put in in Drive it will try to leave from a stop in 4th gear. Same if I put it in 3rd. Reverse still works and if I manually shift to 1-2 from a stop and shift into 3rd and later drive it will go into gears. However I am not sure if overdrive works.

The problem is that does not happen all the time. Sometimes when I start it up and leave the house it shifts fine from Drive. It will sometimes stay good for several days, then go back where I have to manually shift. This on and off again process has repeated itself for several days.

The tranny has 161,000 miles and had not given me any problems until several weeks ago. I have tried several tranny "Fix it" additives and changed the fluid again, but am still having problems. I am probably capable of pulling apart the tranny, but are there any other suggestions?

msmoorenburg
12-03-2012, 08:33 AM
It appears you may either have trash in the solenoids or they are getting ready to give it up. I would do a Tranny service and replace the 3 solenoids

4.3LXJ
12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
That or the controller, the TPS is having problem. Any check engine lights? Codes?

Gymguyjeep
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
That or the controller, the TPS is having problem. Any check engine lights? Codes?

No issues with check engine lights or codes that I know of (pre 1996) Runs like a champ.

How do you know if solenoids are bad and how much trouble is it to replace them?

4.3LXJ
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
You can check them with an ohm meter if you pull the pan. Once there, they are easy to replace. Have you tried the key on - key off thing to check for codes?

Gymguyjeep
12-04-2012, 08:45 AM
You can check them with an ohm meter if you pull the pan. Once there, they are easy to replace. Have you tried the key on - key off thing to check for codes?

I don't think that the key on/key off method will work with my 1993 XJ with a non-digital odometer if this is what you are talking about.

Are the symptoms pretty certainly pointing to bad solenoids in the AW4? How easy are they to replace once the pan is pulled? Where are they located? Is there anywhere to go to get more specific information about the procedure of replacing the solenoids?

msmoorenburg
12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Have a gander its mostly bulk info

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6372

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/solenoids.PNG