PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Stuck On Hub

Klaatu55
12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Afternoon,And it is a beautiful afternoon up here in Jersey. Hope all are well. Question of course. Would anyone know of any reason why a wheel would not come off the hub after all lug nuts are removed. Flashlight and close inspection shows no apparent binding. But something is holding it on with a death grip. The only thing done unusual is that I finally used torque wrench set at (75 lbs.)to tighten lugs last time out. Other rear wheel came right off (was inspecting brakes) this one has no play at any lug position. I put lugs back on loose and put car back on the ground and rolled it. to see if it would pull loose. NG. Any other thoughts.Should I peel out and see if it jolts it loose. Understand I may have to replace a few studs. Thanks in Advance.

DETOURS
12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
It's happened to me prior, give it a good kick......
Jeep suggests 100lbs on torquing those lug nuts.;)

prerunner1982
12-02-2012, 01:24 PM
My wife's old van was like that, had to kick each side (towards the front and towards the back) to get it to rock back and forth. Did you just drive the Jeep prior to trying to take it off? (heat build up causing hub to swell slightly..)

Klaatu55
12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Hours ago, Commencing Kicking thanks, will let you know.

Klaatu55
12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Don't know what was holding it. but just like you said the medieval approach did the job.Thanks again.

prerunner1982
12-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Glad it worked.

nickxj94
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Its usually just rust build up on the center hole usually common with aluminum wheels I always put some balljoint grease on the hubs to prevent that.

DETOURS
12-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't know what was holding it. but just like you said the medieval approach did the job.Thanks again.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/madmax2list.jpg

Felt good.......did'nt it?...lol

Carves
12-02-2012, 02:24 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/madmax2list.jpg

Felt good.......did'nt it?...lol

:D:D

4x4Dalton
12-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I had that prob one time. LFH came into play felt good :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

Klaatu55
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it was some kind of build up.looked like battery powder. Maybe some reaction between steel drum and aluminum wheel. Did feel sort of goood. I did grease it too. Thanks again.

prerunner1982
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it was some kind of build up.looked like battery powder. Maybe some reaction between steel drum and aluminum wheel. Did feel sort of goood. I did grease it too. Thanks again.

Why yes... there is a reaction between dissimilar metals.
Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

xjrev10
12-04-2012, 01:03 AM

Corrosion.

I hate stock aluminum wheels for this reason. Ive had to beat on them with a splitting maul (hammer end) to get them off. If you can get on the backside of wheel and beat it the direction you would like it to go, sometime works better then beating on the sidewall of the tire..

Victoriabcboy
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
It happens ALOT!!! I work at a tire shop here in Victoria BC CAN. we are constantly beating wheels off hubs with hammers. It's the aluminum wheels more than the steels. We use a pnuematic buffer and clean the mounting surface on the backside of the wheel and ALL of the hub. We like to use a small thin coat of "neverseize". It has much less of a chance of heating up and running onto your braking surface than axle grease.

Just be glad we're not driving Ford F450 and 550's those STUPID 19.5 wheels REALLY get seized onto the hubs. We have severly bent and mangled more than a couple of wheels trying to get those one's off.