PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings?

Splatterific
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Do you find it odd to need front wheel bearings after 90k miles. I guess it is what it is. Never done them. Is it it difficult. Any tricks or tips would be awesome. Thanks

nickxj94
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Yup I have went through 3 sets in 2years that's what happens when ya run big tires and wheel it regularly. I went for the lifetimes at Oreally! There easy just need a 12 point 13 mm socket take the wheels off brakes calipers off and it has 3 bolt that are 12 pt. 13 mm also you will need a 36mm to remove the axle nut takes maybe 30 mins a side

NW99XJ
11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Yup, getting them out (once all the hardware is loose) can be a pain though if they're frozen in there. Use a short socket extension between the unit bearing flange and the knuckle, use the power steering to force it out.
Lifetime warranty on hub bearings? -good to know! Might have to pick up a set oif those when these wear out.
Timken appear to be the best, but you pay for it!
I have the NAPA super heavy duty ones in mine, seem to be holding up fine for now.
I did a full write up with pics on the swap in my build thread if you want to check it out.

cantab27
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
yep hate mud and water big tires,,,another stupid jeep design.....easy swap over ,,,,try $250 a side down here for me..vendor on here a1 autos has some good deals on em from time to time

http://www.1aauto.com/?utm_source=srt8oc&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=1ATony

bluedragon436
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah I was just looking at the pricing of the Timken units, as I am replacing pretty much every other component in the front end... think I'll look into them if I find I do still have noises and issues....

Splatterific
11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Great info guys. Hopefully it goes that smoothly. Noise drives me nuts. I'm nuts enough already.