PDA

View Full Version : Needing opinions pretty soon on A-Pillar lights...

Brasscatz
11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Okay, my mother in law is wanting my gift request and she's willing to spend $100. I think I want to get Detours A-pillar light mounts. That's just under $50 shipped, but the question is lights. I've almost given myself a headache looking at all the different lights available. There's this one from Walmart, I'd have to buy 2 and paint them black. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-100-LED-Baja-Off-Road-Quartz-Halogen-Light/15111226
They don't come with the wiring harness which is a big negative, but for the price I can get the mounts and the lights from her.

The next option I was looking at would be to have her get me the lights up to $100 and spend my own $50 later on the mounts. That being said, the KC Daylighters are tempting at this price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KC-Daylighter-DIY-Long-Range-Lights-100w-Black-6-Round-H3-Bulb-White-Beam-/221067197543?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378a1bc67&vxp=mtr

However, with the dimensions, I don't know how good they'll look/work because of how long they are. I like the idea of 100w lights though.

These have the slim profile and come with the wiring harness, but they are only 55w lights. Can I change to a 100w H3 bulb down the road? Would I have to upgrade the wiring as well if/when I do that? http://www.shopjeepparts.com/inch-apollo-driving-light-p-9662.html

I know that I'm also going to have to study the how-to's on relays too. This could be fun ;) I'm trying to send my request to her tonight or tomorrow, so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have other lights to suggest that are 100 bucks or cheaper, that'd be awesome.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Might want to ask Mark some of those questions

Mudderoy
11-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Okay, my mother in law is wanting my gift request and she's willing to spend $100. I think I want to get Detours A-pillar light mounts. That's just under $50 shipped, but the question is lights. I've almost given myself a headache looking at all the different lights available. There's this one from Walmart, I'd have to buy 2 and paint them black. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-100-LED-Baja-Off-Road-Quartz-Halogen-Light/15111226
They don't come with the wiring harness which is a big negative, but for the price I can get the mounts and the lights from her.

The next option I was looking at would be to have her get me the lights up to $100 and spend my own $50 later on the mounts. That being said, the KC Daylighters are tempting at this price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KC-Daylighter-DIY-Long-Range-Lights-100w-Black-6-Round-H3-Bulb-White-Beam-/221067197543?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378a1bc67&vxp=mtr

However, with the dimensions, I don't know how good they'll look/work because of how long they are. I like the idea of 100w lights though.

These have the slim profile and come with the wiring harness, but they are only 55w lights. Can I change to a 100w H3 bulb down the road? Would I have to upgrade the wiring as well if/when I do that? http://www.shopjeepparts.com/inch-apollo-driving-light-p-9662.html

I know that I'm also going to have to study the how-to's on relays too. This could be fun ;) I'm trying to send my request to her tonight or tomorrow, so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have other lights to suggest that are 100 bucks or cheaper, that'd be awesome.

When xjtalk did the Detours a-pillar mount and KC highlight give away we went with the full sized, not the slim. Personally I don't like the slim lights.

Brasscatz
11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
I also stumbled upon a-piller light pictures on Detours Facebook page. There's a few pics in there with the Daylighters and they actually look pretty good. I was just trying to imagine them on there earlier holding up a ruler for reference.

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Gotta say, i love my Hella 500 driving lights. They are mounted on the a-pillars as well. They're cheap and very common but are 55w. You would have to upgrade the wiring to convert them to 100w bulbs. Although, you can convert them to HID too. Just some stuff to think about.

You're gonna love a-pillar lights, great positioning.

Brasscatz
11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Easy Wayne, Jim, Carves.... no "holding up a ruler" jokes :D

Brasscatz
11-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Gotta say, i love my Hella 500 driving lights. They are mounted on the a-pillars as well. They're cheap and very common but are 55w. You would have to upgrade the wiring to convert them to 100w bulbs. Although, you can convert them to HID too. Just some stuff to think about.

You're gonna love a-pillar lights, great positioning.

My buddy got a pair of those for his xj for 10 bucks about a year ago at Walmart on clearance. I couldn't ever find any more for that price... wish I could've!!!

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
My buddy got a pair of those for his xj for 10 bucks about a year ago at Walmart on clearance. I couldn't ever find any more for that price... wish I could've!!!

Ha, if you do find some for that i'll take a few.:p

Carves
11-27-2012, 05:31 AM
OK ... I'll ask ... What do you want the lights to do for you.

If you're after driving lights ... to support the headlights on the highway ... then Narva/Hella/KC etc - in a spread or spot beam - as suits your driving needs.
... and stick 'em on the bumper ... ;);)

If its for trail driving, side illumination ... I'd grab a set of these and chuck a set of 55w bulbs in them.;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-100W-4-BLACK-OFF-ROAD-LIGHTS-4x4-ATV-TRUCK-JEEP-/261077841188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc973b524

100w bulbs will probably bubble the chrome off the reflector after a while.

... and since they're only 4" ... they will be inobtrusive ... and it wont look as tho you're to trying to over-compensate for something .. ;);) .. :p .. :D ...

pffttt ... dont mention rulers he says .. :rolleyes: .. :D

DETOURS
11-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Look for a seller on ebay who goes by the name "Snappylights"....they have a ton of options at low prices, just be sure to read the discription of the item.
In prior purchases, they've actually thrown in an extra light with the order for replacement parts..(????)...these were Hella over runs with no packaging, such a DEAL and unexpected.

Pencil beams or long range lights work best for the application.

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 07:05 AM
OK ... I'll ask ... What do you want the lights to do for you.

If you're after driving lights ... to support the headlights on the highway ... then Narva/Hella/KC etc - in a spread or spot beam - as suits your driving needs.
... and stick 'em on the bumper ... ;);)

If its for trail driving, side illumination ... I'd grab a set of these and chuck a set of 55w bulbs in them.;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-100W-4-BLACK-OFF-ROAD-LIGHTS-4x4-ATV-TRUCK-JEEP-/261077841188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc973b524

100w bulbs will probably bubble the chrome off the reflector after a while.

... and since they're only 4" ... they will be inobtrusive ... and it wont look as tho you're to trying to over-compensate for something .. ;);) .. :p .. :D ...

pffttt ... dont mention rulers he says .. :rolleyes: .. :D

Well, the purpose of these lights would be mainly for off-road use and any other handy application. Pretty sure it's illegal in Texas to use them on the road unfortunately. I do already have 2 55w driving lights on my bumper that I use at night anyways but I haven't been caught yet. :D

Those lights look pretty good, but I don't think they come with wiring, and I'd like to have covers to put on the lights when not in use to preserve the lens. plus..... shipping is nearly as much as the lights themselves. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for shipping. Thanks for that link though! You've inspired me to get to looking for similar lights on Ebay again :D

Mudderoy
11-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Well, the purpose of these lights would be mainly for off-road use and any other handy application. Pretty sure it's illegal in Texas to use them on the road unfortunately. I do already have 2 55w driving lights on my bumper that I use at night anyways but I haven't been caught yet. :D

Those lights look pretty good, but I don't think they come with wiring, and I'd like to have covers to put on the lights when not in use to preserve the lens. plus..... shipping is nearly as much as the lights themselves. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for shipping. Thanks for that link though! You've inspired me to get to looking for similar lights on Ebay again :D

Cop told me that the lights I have on my bumper were illegal to use on the road. I think they have to be at or below the level of the headlights. We didn't talk about them being 100 watts.

I'll use what ever I got in an emergency situation though. ;)

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Look for a seller on ebay who goes by the name "Snappylights"....they have a ton of options at low prices, just be sure to read the discription of the item.
In prior purchases, they've actually thrown in an extra light with the order for replacement parts..(????)...these were Hella over runs with no packaging, such a DEAL and unexpected.

Pencil beams or long range lights work best for the application.

Sweet! I'm going to have to check those out for sure! Thanks! I'm learning as I go about the different types of lights and the KC Daylighters seem to fit the long range profile.

Cop told me that the lights I have on my bumper were illegal to use on the road. I think they have to be at or below the level of the headlights. We didn't talk about them being 100 watts.

I'll use what ever I got in an emergency situation though. ;)

I'm the same way... in an emergency, it'll be all lights on so I can see :D The ones I have on my bumper are pretty small and they add just enough light to help out my night-blindness. You can see them in the picture in my signature. One of the reasons I want 100w is so I have some BRIGHT lights I can use when I need them in certain applications. Will they be used often? Probably not. But they will look awesome with the Detours mounts and they will be quite handy from time to time.

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 09:14 AM
What does everybody think about these? I know they don't have covers, but I'm liking the price. Plus they come with 2 EXTRA relays and a heavy duty wiring harness
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-UNIVERSAL-5-INCH-4X4-OFF-ROAD-DODGE-FORD-JEEP-TOYOTA-CHEVY-FOG-DRIVING-LIGHTS-/390422590691?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae6fff4e3#ht_7632wt_934

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Or this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-WATT-4X4-OFF-ROAD-JEEP-CJ-WRANGLER-RUBICON-PATRIOT-FOG-LIGHTS-DRIVING-LAMPS-/390406546888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae60b25c8#ht_7517wt_934

This one just seems lower quality, though the JEEP rock guard is cool ;)

NW99XJ
11-27-2012, 11:49 AM
OK Carves brought up a good point and that's purpose...what these are going to be intended for, you've answered for offroad use primarily. The location is what makes your options much more limited.
Going with an A Pillar mount light limits you to pencil beam (long range) lights only. This is because of the amount of light that is broadcast across the hood at night from the dispersion of the beam out of the lens. The glare will diminish your visibility as much as it will enhance it. I wheel with a few different guys that run these, and have second guessed their decision of mounting location ever since. Two of which ended up painting part if not all of their hood in bedliner or flat black paint, just to cut down on the glare. Regardless of what you do, or what light you choose, in that location you're going to have hood glare. So I would not (in this case) consider the Apollo lights.

OK Now with that being said lets talk lights. Driving lights have an etched or contoured/grooved lens which diffuses the light into a typically trapezoidal pattern. This is to create a wider beam pattern to illuminate more of the sides of the road. MOST "offroad" lights have a long range or pencil beam pattern... (resembling a sharpened pencil - a skinny, long distance beam pattern.)
The lenses are usually clear - with no etching/contouring/grooves in them and the beam pattern is dictated usually by the reflector in the housing.
Speaking of housings, unless the light COMES with a 100w bulb stay away from plastic, poly-carbonate, or any other composite housings if your intent is to upgrade the bulbs later...55w plastic housings will EVENTUALLY start to melt, soften, or otherwise distort or degrade with extended use of 100w bulbs in them. So go metal if you can.
Several of your choices look to be good. The KC are tried and true, and have been an "industry standard" int he offroad world for many many years.
Dont worry about wiring. Wire is easy to come by, inexpensive and I will be more than willing to help you as far as hooking up relays and switches goes.
The KC Slimlites version are just fine in many cases, but they lack the "heatsinking" capabilities that the other housings will offer.

My suggestion, for your specific application, taking into consideration the intended use, and mounting location, would be the KC DIY DAYLIGHTERS 100w KIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KC-Daylighter-DIY-Long-Range-Lights-100w-Black-6-Round-H3-Bulb-White-Beam-/221067197543?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378a1bc67&vxp=mtr ....your second choice from your first post.

Now, with free shipping from site to store, Walmart has access to the ENTIRE LINE of BLAZER products, they have a MASSIVE selection of lights and lighting accessories. In fact the four lights I have on my roof rack I bought from Walmart (thru the website - had them shipped to my local store fro free for pickup) for under $40....granted, mine are rectangular, and in a different location, but thats what I wanted. The outer two are driving pattern, and the inner two are pencil beam. All 55w, and I'm totally happy.

Your other decision of the "Snappy Lights" 5" 130w offroad light from Ebay may not be a bad choice either.
The price is right, the power looks to be awesome, metal housings, glass lenses, and all the necessary parts for installation.....
The only thing I'm concerned about is that he lists them as fog and driving lights.....these are two totally different things. Yet again, completely different from "Offroad" lights.... what I would do in this case is contact him, and ask some questions about the lenses, if they have any grooves in them at all, and whether or not the beam pattern is indeed a pencil beam pattern. If not, then pass. Otherwise these may not be a bad choice.
YOU'll KNOW What you're getting going with the KC's ...and although these Snappy Lights look to be pretty good, you may be getting something thats built with a little less quality, ...but again, you may get a great product.
It would be between those two for me.
Either way you go, i'll be more than happy to make sure you have the necessary advice to wire them up properly.
I hope this helps.

prcjeep
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
On my a-pillar brackets i have the KC slimlites 100w pencil beams. There is some hood glare but not much. How high up on the a pillar is also going to change how much glare you will have too. For mine the light beam seems to be right at eye level and i like it. Ild be happy to come by and help you wire them up. Ill let you do the drilling through the a- pillars though.

Oh and as far as running the lights on the street, well I got pulled over on a county road outside of San Antonio for running them on the road. I was using them in conjunction with my high beams. The cop was sitting on the side of the road with parking lights on so i did not dim my high beams and turn the kc's off. He gave me a warning.

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
OK Carves brought up a good point and that's purpose...what these are going to be intended for, you've answered for offroad use primarily. The location is what makes your options much more limited.
Going with an A Pillar mount light limits you to pencil beam (long range) lights only. This is because of the amount of light that is broadcast across the hood at night from the dispersion of the beam out of the lens. The glare will diminish your visibility as much as it will enhance it. I wheel with a few different guys that run these, and have second guessed their decision of mounting location ever since. Two of which ended up painting part if not all of their hood in bedliner or flat black paint, just to cut down on the glare. Regardless of what you do, or what light you choose, in that location you're going to have hood glare. So I would not (in this case) consider the Apollo lights.

OK Now with that being said lets talk lights. Driving lights have an etched or contoured/grooved lens which diffuses the light into a typically trapezoidal pattern. This is to create a wider beam pattern to illuminate more of the sides of the road. MOST "offroad" lights have a long range or pencil beam pattern... (resembling a sharpened pencil - a skinny, long distance beam pattern.)
The lenses are usually clear - with no etching/contouring/grooves in them and the beam pattern is dictated usually by the reflector in the housing.
Speaking of housings, unless the light COMES with a 100w bulb stay away from plastic, poly-carbonate, or any other composite housings if your intent is to upgrade the bulbs later...55w plastic housings will EVENTUALLY start to melt, soften, or otherwise distort or degrade with extended use of 100w bulbs in them. So go metal if you can.
Several of your choices look to be good. The KC are tried and true, and have been an "industry standard" int he offroad world for many many years.
Dont worry about wiring. Wire is easy to come by, inexpensive and I will be more than willing to help you as far as hooking up relays and switches goes.
The KC Slimlites version are just fine in many cases, but they lack the "heatsinking" capabilities that the other housings will offer.

My suggestion, for your specific application, taking into consideration the intended use, and mounting location, would be the KC DIY DAYLIGHTERS 100w KIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KC-Daylighter-DIY-Long-Range-Lights-100w-Black-6-Round-H3-Bulb-White-Beam-/221067197543?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378a1bc67&vxp=mtr ....your second choice from your first post.

Now, with free shipping from site to store, Walmart has access to the ENTIRE LINE of BLAZER products, they have a MASSIVE selection of lights and lighting accessories. In fact the four lights I have on my roof rack I bought from Walmart (thru the website - had them shipped to my local store fro free for pickup) for under $40....granted, mine are rectangular, and in a different location, but thats what I wanted. The outer two are driving pattern, and the inner two are pencil beam. All 55w, and I'm totally happy.

Your other decision of the "Snappy Lights" 5" 130w offroad light from Ebay may not be a bad choice either.
The price is right, the power looks to be awesome, metal housings, glass lenses, and all the necessary parts for installation.....
The only thing I'm concerned about is that he lists them as fog and driving lights.....these are two totally different things. Yet again, completely different from "Offroad" lights.... what I would do in this case is contact him, and ask some questions about the lenses, if they have any grooves in them at all, and whether or not the beam pattern is indeed a pencil beam pattern. If not, then pass. Otherwise these may not be a bad choice.
YOU'll KNOW What you're getting going with the KC's ...and although these Snappy Lights look to be pretty good, you may be getting something thats built with a little less quality, ...but again, you may get a great product.
It would be between those two for me.
Either way you go, i'll be more than happy to make sure you have the necessary advice to wire them up properly.
I hope this helps.

That helps a ton actually, thanks for taking the time! I am drawn to the KC lights because of the name and reputation for sure. However, I like the snappy lights for the price and slightly more power. He gives 2 spare 50 amp relays when the kit comes with a 30 amp (I think), which leads me to believe he is interested in quality of wiring/product. Pending your suggestion, I'll probably use a 50 amp and store the 30 for future applications. With KC, you're also paying for the name just like Nike or Calvin Klien and I'd be more inclined to spend less money on a quality off-brand for that reason.

Another hope is that my mother in law wants to spend $100 and with the Snappy lights, I may be able to convince her to get the detours mounts too even though that total will come out just over $100 ;) Don't get me wrong though... that's not my sole motivation, but it sure would be nice! No telling how long it'll be before I can get the mounts on my own dime (wife wants a trip to Scotland next year and is being very stingy on spending). Unless I can convice Detours to offer me a deal :D but I'm not going to impose on him for that at all LOL.

I'll definitely ask the seller about the lens and pencil beam. I would also like to ask him if he has covers to go on the lights too. I'd hate the lenses getting messed up.

The frequency in which these will actually be used is really low, and if I was going to use them all the time for serious off-roading I'd definitely go with some SUPER high quality/more expensive lights than the ones I've linked to. These are for those "every once in a while" needs and "just in case" needs, so cheaper isn't a bad idea there either. I'm actually really glad you liked the Snappy lights, and pending his replies to my inquiries, I think I'll go with those.

Thanks again to everyone who replied, you truly helped me. That's why I love this site!

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
On my a-pillar brackets i have the KC slimlites 100w pencil beams. There is some hood glare but not much. How high up on the a pillar is also going to change how much glare you will have too. For mine the light beam seems to be right at eye level and i like it. Ild be happy to come by and help you wire them up. Ill let you do the drilling through the a- pillars though.

Oh and as far as running the lights on the street, well I got pulled over on a county road outside of San Antonio for running them on the road. I was using them in conjunction with my high beams. The cop was sitting on the side of the road with parking lights on so i did not dim my high beams and turn the kc's off. He gave me a warning.

Thanks Patrick, I think I'll take you up on that for sure. You sure you don't want to do the drilling? :D

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Okay... here's the questions I asked:
Hello, I am sending the this item to my mother-in-law so she can buy this for me for Christmasm but I had a few questions.
1. Are these "pencil beam" lights?
2. Do you have/carry covers for these lights for when they aren't in use?
3. You list them as fog/driving/offroad lights, is this for advertising/keyword purposes? I want to make sure that there isn't any grooves on the lenses and that these are a long range pencil beam off-road light set.

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Here's the reply:

THESE LIGHTS ARE LIKE A DRIVING LIGHT LONG NARROW TYPE BEAM...

FOG/DRIVING IS KEYWORDS..

THEY ARE NOT A FOG LIGHT..

I HAVE NO COVERS FOR THESE AT THIS TIME

LENS IS SMOOTH AND CLEAR NO GROOVES....THANKS

- snappylights

Carves
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
..................... This is because of the amount of light that is broadcast across the hood at night from the dispersion of the beam out of the lens. The glare will diminish your visibility as much as it will enhance it. I wheel with a few different guys that run these, and have second guessed their decision of mounting location ever since. Two of which ended up painting part if not all of their hood in bedliner or flat black paint, just to cut down on the glare. Regardless of what you do, or what light you choose, in that location you're going to have hood glare.

Yep ... been there, done that ... with satin black hood resprays ... and fitting upside down eyebrows on the lights - made from 4" or 6" poly pipe, angled offcuts .....

... but tis a lot easier on the eyes just to fit "driving" or long range spots at the front.

Not knocking the Detours mounts at all ... as they are, IMHO ... ideal for floodlighting lights, angled to the side somewhat, for traildriving ... and nicely made .. ;)

Point to remember too .... the brighter the bulb, the quicker the filament burns out ... or breaks on "washboard" roads ... which is why I only use a max 100w halogen bulb in my road use driving lights.

4.3LXJ
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
That is a good point Carves. If lights are needed on the trail, side vision is a must at night on hair pin curves

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Alrighty, I ended up calling the guy and he said that they were indeed long narrow beam or "pencil beam". I suppose I'll send that link to the mother in law and see if I can schmooze the mounts too ;) Thanks again everybody for all your help!

XJ Wheeler
11-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I have very minimal glare as well. I think the reason Patrick and I don't have much is due to our jeeps being darker colors, well Patrick's is a bit lighter now but far from white.

Granted my mounts position the lights far lower, but i designed them that way and like it.

This is with just the Hella 500 driving a-pillar lights. The majority of the glare is from lights and roadway ahead reflecting.

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks Jake, that's actually the first pic I've seen showing what these things look like in the real world and it really helps!

4x4Dalton
11-27-2012, 07:27 PM
The jeep I got from Matt has the A pillar lights as well. They are bout eye level but there is a lil glare bein that its white. The lights on mine are PIAA lights and there's no way I could use them on road ever lol unless I was landin a small plane with them :) Just let me know Jim ill help to if I can. And I'm with Patrick on this....you get to drill lol

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

XJ Wheeler
11-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks Jake, that's actually the first pic I've seen showing what these things look like in the real world and it really helps!

Anytime, bud. They really compliment the other lights offroad, and its a well protected area too.

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
The jeep I got from Matt has the A pillar lights as well. They are bout eye level but there is a lil glare bein that its white. The lights on mine are PIAA lights and there's no way I could use them on road ever lol unless I was landin a small plane with them :) Just let me know Jim ill help to if I can. And I'm with Patrick on this....you get to drill lol

Thanks Bear. I bet BigJim would LOVE to drill into a red Jeep :rolleye0012:

4x4Dalton
11-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Lol. Yeah but ya might get more holes then what ya want or need lol

Brasscatz
11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
rofl very true my friend... very true

Carves
11-27-2012, 10:52 PM
In case its useful ..... ;);)

Just a little guide as to how we, down here ...... decide on "which" set of driving lights .. :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3255b.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3256b.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3258b.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3259b.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3262b.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Ettamogah%20Pub/100_3261b.jpg

thesupercroc
11-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Semi off topic question. Could I use Detours A pillar light bracket and a snorkel? Or would that just be crazy?

Mudderoy
11-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Another thing to keep in mind... Very soon LED lights will be inexpensive. Everyone will be switching to these simply because the power draw is so much less.

We'll be driving around Jeeps made in the 20th century with lighting formally only seen on UFOs!

The old incandescents will look dim and when people look back at our old pictures will remember, fondly, the days of dead batteries and heating up hands and soup with our off road lights.

Might be wise to get something cheap and then get the LED lights when the prices drop like a rock.

4x4Dalton
11-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Semi off topic question. Could I use Detours A pillar light bracket and a snorkel? Or would that just be crazy?

Don't see why you couldn't. Yer best bet though would be to get both first then put them on at same time to see where brackets would be located.

Mudderoy
11-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Well not exactly on topic, but this reminds me of a video I did.

What you see here is two IPF headlights with 80/110 watt bulbs.

Briefly you'll see 4 100 watt KC (two flood and two beam) and those two IPFs on high beams.

All lights on at about the 2 minute mark.

The video is a little dark, well until 610 watts of lights are turned on. :D

IPF Headlight Test on a dark road. - YouTube

bluedragon436
11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
I was really wanting pillar lights until I upgraded my housings and bulbs to the 80/100 with the harness upgrade... now I def don't need that extra light... well at least not right now.... But I was thinking if I do go with aftermarket lights on either the pillar or the bumper I'm looking at the Hella 500FF or some of the smaller four LED lights

Brasscatz
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Not crazy at all. I saw a picture on Detours' facebook page where a guy was using what they called ”snorkle friendly” a-pillar mounts.

NW99XJ
11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
........then get the LED lights when the prices drop like a rock.
Oh! That'll be a GLORIOUS day!
....and the day I end up dropping half my paycheck on lighting! lol

thesupercroc
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Not crazy at all. I saw a picture on Detours' facebook page where a guy was using what they called ”snorkle friendly” a-pillar mounts.

Are the snorkel friendly one special order? or just normal ones?

Another thing to keep in mind... Very soon LED lights will be inexpensive. Everyone will be switching to these simply because the power draw is so much less.

We'll be driving around Jeeps made in the 20th century with lighting formally only seen on UFOs!

The old incandescents will look dim and when people look back at our old pictures will remember, fondly, the days of dead batteries and heating up hands and soup with our off road lights.

Might be wise to get something cheap and then get the LED lights when the prices drop like a rock.

I <3 LEDs so much! I cant wait for the price point to get better.

DETOURS
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Are the snorkel friendly one special order? or just normal ones?

I typically ask the customer which set they want.....The lights dont move all that much, the supporting bracket changes.

While LED's are getting brighter & cheaper.....they're also getting hotter and drawing more power...

Carves
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
........................... While LED's are getting brighter & cheaper.....they're also getting hotter and drawing more power...

Looked at LED lighting options for the new shed ... and going by the info I dug up ... It would take 20yrs to reap any savings from LED over flouros ... and I'd be tripping over things in dark spots - compared to having a bank of flouros on the ceiling.

They still have a long way to go I think

... wonderful little pocket torches for camping trips tho .. :D

thesupercroc
11-28-2012, 04:45 PM

I typically ask the customer which set they want.....The lights dont move all that much, the supporting bracket changes.

Ok cool now I have one more thing to add to my list of stuff to add to the jeep.