PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance on a Jump Box

Brasscatz
11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm asking for a Jump Box on my Christmas list. Problem is, I'm not sure if this is a good one. It needs to be a good price, under $100 is ideal since I'm not buying it for myself. I tried doing some research on how to find one for my Jeep. One site said that you need to find one with at least as many amps as CCA's on your battery. Well, that's 580 CCAs so a minimum 600 amp would be the answer I would assume.

Another problem is that soooooo many of these jump boxes don't have all the info online that I'm looking for. I want one with 600 amps (not peak amps, I know those are higher), but a bunch of these boxes only tell you what their peak amps are, and not regular amps.

I also hear you should get at least 10 amp hours and most of the ones I see online don't specify amp hours.

I'm not looking for fancy doo-dads like a compass, flash lights, power saw, Oscar Meyer Weenie Whistle, etc... Just the ability to jump my Jeep. Here is the one I found that I'm leaning towards. It does have an air compressor that I'll never use and a flashlight, but most of them these days come with them.... oh well. Keep in mind that price is a big factor since this is a gift request. Will this one do the job I'm looking for? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-500-Amp-Jump-Starter-with-Compressor/13035281

Thanks in advance.

bigjim350
11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
We have used a few different ones at work. We have one brand that works freaking awsome and will jump anything we hook it too. Ill get the name of it when i go back to work on monday. The shitty ones we have are the combo style ones, like with flashlights and air comps. The good one is just a jump box.

prerunner1982
11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I am interested in one or two of these as well....

Brasscatz
11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
We have used a few different ones at work. We have one brand that works freaking awsome and will jump anything we hook it too. Ill get the name of it when i go back to work on monday. The shitty ones we have are the combo style ones, like with flashlights and air comps. The good one is just a jump box.

That would be awesome, Jim. That's all I want, just a jump box with no extras. You can text it to me if ya like. On second thought, it may benefit others on the forum if ya post it, but if you wouldn't mind sending me a pic. The ones at my dealerships don't help... They are the huge ones you wheel out to the car.

BlueXJ
11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
They carry them at Harbor Freight and I think they are available without any bells and whistles too. Look into that. I think the ones I saw were under $50 too.

Brasscatz
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks buddy. Just looked into them. Harbor Freight only has 400amp/900 peak, but for a great price! Northern Tool and Equip has a few. Didn't think of them until you mentioned Harbor Freight.

I'm liking this one so far:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422357_200422357

This one is cool that you can replace the internal battery when it goes bad, BUT the battery isn't included. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514321_200514321

BlueXJ
11-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I dont have a NT here so they never crossed my mind, but we had one in Georgia when I lived there and I bought stuff from them often. Their stuff is top rate.

denverd1
11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Love NT here in Texas. Weiner Whistle?? Wow! these things have really come a long way! Interested in knowing what works as well. gave up on mine with flashlight, charging ports, etc. Although the weiner whistle sounds cool...

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Had a couple over the years and i say if you can go with one with a replaceable battery. That's what always gets these things. And if you don't have a shop compressor then the little one might come in handy, they're slow but better than trying to get a good seal using a bendy straw.

Brasscatz
11-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Had a couple over the years and i say if you can go with one with a replaceable battery. That's what always gets these things. And if you don't have a shop compressor then the little one might come in handy, they're slow but better than trying to get a good seal using a bendy straw.

Bendy straw!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: That's good!

I'd much rather have the one with the replaceable battery for sure. Bad part is that the unit is close to 100 bucks WITHOUT the battery. Then the good battery is like 70 bucks as well. If this was me buying it and I could get away with spending the money, I'd probably go with that one. On the other hand, the first one I linked at Northern Tool is 70-80 bucks which is roughly the price of a replacement battery anyways. Seems not to matter much cost-wise except I'd have to spend double to start out.

Almost forgot... I do happen to have a small shop compressor so that wouldn't be a problem ;)

BlueXJ
11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I was not aware of any that have a replaceable battery. Good to know.

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Bendy straw!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: That's good!

I'd much rather have the one with the replaceable battery for sure. Bad part is that the unit is close to 100 bucks WITHOUT the battery. Then the good battery is like 70 bucks as well. If this was me buying it and I could get away with spending the money, I'd probably go with that one. On the other hand, the first one I linked at Northern Tool is 70-80 bucks which is roughly the price of a replacement battery anyways. Seems not to matter much cost-wise except I'd have to spend double to start out.

Almost forgot... I do happen to have a small shop compressor so that wouldn't be a problem ;)

Gotcha. Well in the long run it would be better but... hmmm... Maybe they could get the unit and you could get the battery. On second thought $70-80 to replace the battery is about the same it would cost to just by a whole new unit and then you wouldn't have the initial $100 for the unit. Plus $170 is a big much anyway.

We currently have one from Harbor Freight, had it for one and a half. We generally don't use it much but did just the other day. Worked fine. I'll look when i get a chance and see what model it is. I think it was $100 + 20% coupon that's common.

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Here's the one we have. It does have the other junk but also has 600 cranking amps.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harborfreight.com%2F5-in-1-portable-power-pack-96157.html&ei=tx20UIL2LuLGygHMnYHwAQ&usg=AFQjCNHeLn1_48dHLSLPdTtPC09rwlO2Pw

bigjim350
11-27-2012, 11:10 PM
The one use is a Westward modle# 3LE85. Works fantastic. Cheapest ive found though is $123.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/IMG_20121127_123103.jpg

thesupercroc
11-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Have you thought about buildin your own? just trowing an idea out here get an old tool box that will fit a batt, some jumper cables and batt terminals optionally a set of power poles and heavy gauge wire.

I can see to ways to build the quick and easy way and the not so quick but better way.

The quick and easy way just get a pair of jumper cables and a battery and put them in a tool box.

The better way I think would be to get a pair of battery terminal, a set of jumper cables, a toolbox, some heavy gauge wire and a pair of anderson power poles SB model with caps (like these).http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8514/sb120xlrg.jpg

Then cut a end off the jumper cables add one of the two power pole conters to that. next cut a hole in the tool box for the other power pole conn to sit in. after you have figured out what size hole you need take your battery put it in the box for placement then put the power pole in the box and the terminals on the battery to size the wires you need. cut the wires to size. Assemble the wire, power pole and battery terminals and seal it up.

If you wanted to get real fancy with a big tool box you could store your cables and other stuff in there.

I maybe out in left field on this I really do not know.:crazy::confused::out:

Brasscatz
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks Jim. I think what surprises me is that it only has 250 cranking amps. I appreciate you taking the time to post that for me. Have you jumped larger vehicles with it? The old one I used to have would jump my old cavalier just fine, but wouldn't jump my truck.

Brasscatz
11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
That's actually a good idea Anton, I love building my own things instead of buying. however, with the cost of the battery, cables, and everything else it would be cheaper to buy a new jump box. Actually, the jump box at the last shop I worked at years ago was a car battery on a dolly with jumper cables :D

bluedragon436
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I have one that is a Duralast 750watt model, small size, and I have use it to jump the Jeep, other Jeeps, a few full size trucks and even managed to get a single battery diesel box truck we have at work jumped using it... and it has a warranty and you can swap it out at any local AZ.. Been looking at picking up the 900watt or larger voltage one shortly, but the 750 using now works pretty well.. The 900 watt Duralast unit is $89.99 at AZ

thesupercroc
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
That's actually a good idea Anton, I love building my own things instead of buying. however, with the cost of the battery, cables, and everything else it would be cheaper to buy a new jump box. Actually, the jump box at the last shop I worked at years ago was a car battery on a dolly with jumper cables :D

Yeah that true I might be able to find most of the stuf for a jump box in the garage so that would help.