PDA

View Full Version : XJ just died like someone flipped a switch...

Dredwolf
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I am digging for the "troubleshooting a no start" thread to try and solve this, but I thought I would throw a post out here too. My XJ has now died suddenly like this twice, first I thought was a fluke.

Last time this happened, it sat for 20 minutes on the side of the road as we waited for a buddy for a tow, and I decided to try it one more time, and it started like nothing happened.:confused:

I was backing the '99 XJ up to park it in the "repair section" of the driveway to start on the shackle relocation in the AM, and it died like someone turned off the switch....I had the window down, got a strong fuel smell like it flooded.

Fuel pump is running when switch is turned
turns over fine, but will not start
have pressure on the fuel rail
strong battery, lights electrical all work
checked for spark with a tester, seems slow?
plug cables seem okay, have not pulled plugs

Anyone have something similar happen with their '98-99?

Mudderoy
11-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I am digging for the "troubleshooting a no start" thread to try and solve this, but I thought I would throw a post out here too. My XJ has now died suddenly like this twice, first I thought was a fluke.

Last time this happened, it sat for 20 minutes on the side of the road as we waited for a buddy for a tow, and I decided to try it one more time, and it started like nothing happened.:confused:

I was backing the '99 XJ up to park it in the "repair section" of the driveway to start on the shackle relocation in the AM, and it died like someone turned off the switch....I had the window down, got a strong fuel smell like it flooded.

Fuel pump is running when switch is turned
turns over fine, but will not start
have pressure on the fuel rail
strong battery, lights electrical all work
checked for spark with a tester, seems slow?
plug cables seem okay, have not pulled plugs

Anyone have something similar happen with their '98-99?

Well you know the most common cause of this is the CPS.

Dredwolf
11-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Well you know the most common cause of this is the CPS.

I was going to try that in the AM, if the parts stores are open. Is there a way to test the CPS with a meter?

Mudderoy
11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I was going to try that in the AM, if the parts stores are open. Is there a way to test the CPS with a meter?

There is! I would check the connection first though. You can do it now, or wait until it dies. Could just be a bad, or corroded connection.

Dredwolf
11-21-2012, 10:05 PM
There is! I would check the connection first though. You can do it now, or wait until it dies. Could just be a bad, or corroded connection.

It's already died, its stuck out in the middle of my large front yard.:D

It died there when I was backing it up to move to the now vacant "outside repair bay" in front of my garage that I will never get a car in.

Connection and plug look clean and good, but like I said, XJ gets fuel (pressure in the rail), and what seems to me to be slow spark (swear I could count seconds between flashes when cranking), but will never catch.

On a "WTH" moment, I disconnected, waited a few seconds, then reconnected the CPS, and tried to crank the XJ again.....it tried briefly to "catch", then back to turning over with no hit.

Dredwolf
11-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I dug out a code scanner I had bought some time back, went out to the XJ this morning......and it cranked.

Connected the scanner and got a P0118 code, high coolant temp sensor?

Pulled the XJ to the garage and turned it off. It won't crank again, and smells rich. Should I replace that temp sensor too?

I read that a genuine Mopar crank position sensor is best, but I know I won't find one today.

gary63
11-22-2012, 09:17 AM
are you getting spark all the time on all cyl. it may be the coil. i had the same thing happen on my cj.i found it by pull all the plug and grounding them and cranking it over.one would fire the next 3 wouldn't and then next time around the one that fire wouldn't fire.the coil wasn't recharging after one or two fireing.it may not be the problem but if you can't get a crank sencor today you can try it who knows? good lock.

4.3LXJ
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
If it is throwing that code, then it should be replaced. You have a 99 so that shouldn't make it shut down, but you never know. I still think it is the CPS. To answer your question, yes you can test them. You hook up an ohm meter to them and crank. You should read resistance going up and down as the engine turns over.

Dredwolf
11-22-2012, 10:11 AM
If it is throwing that code, then it should be replaced. You have a 99 so that shouldn't make it shut down, but you never know. I still think it is the CPS. To answer your question, yes you can test them. You hook up an ohm meter to them and crank. You should read resistance going up and down as the engine turns over.

I got it started after a serious wiggling of the temp sensor plug, but I am thinking the CPS should be replaced anyway. The cheap chain stores are the only thing open, so I am going to try that, replace the CPS and the Temp sensor.

I cleared the codes and checked again, P0118 again, so I am off in search of a sensor.

Dredwolf
11-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Replaced the coolant temp sensor, and the P0118 code is gone. Letting it cool off before changing the CPS...

Got to make sure I pull the top bolt first....:rolleyes:

Dredwolf
11-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Finally got time to change the CPS, but I had to drop the front drive-shaft to feel comfortable with installing the new one. CEL is off, but I pulled the codes, and I have a P0141 and a P0442 pending now, after I installed the CPS :confused:

The pending codes were clear prior to this. PO hacked up the exhaust pretty bad, but both O2 sensors are there. Not sure where to go on this.

And I cleaned up the vac lines and added a reservoir....and the A/C controls still sound like there is a leak...guess I am going in behind the glove box.

Dredwolf
11-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Drove it to work today, and P0141 cleared out, but P0442 remains. I got out the scanner, and got the following results...

Stored Codes
P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
Pending Codes
No pending codes are stored in the module!
View Freeze Frame
DTCFRZF P0442
FUELSYS1 CL
FUELSYS2 N/A
LOAD_PCT(%) 7.1
ETC(°C) 95
SHRTFT1(%) -3.9
LONGFT1(%) 0.0
MAP(kPa) 13.3
RPM(/min) 832
VSS(km/h) 0

Anything look strange? Is there supposed to be a reading for FUELSYS2?:confused:

4.3LXJ
11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Fuel system 2 is not applicable. You don't have it. That is all it means

nickxj94
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Check the charcoal box under the jeep on driver side for a vac line leak that's probably the reason for that code

Dredwolf
11-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll check it. Trying to get the engine smooth and code free so I can focus on the axles and gearing next.

nickxj94
11-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll check it. Trying to get the engine smooth and code free so I can focus on the axles and gearing next.

I know what you mean my 00 I fix one thing and another pops up a code :banghead:got a p0715 trans input sensor code and it takes for ever to shift out gotta fix it tomorrow