PDA

View Full Version : T-case skid with frame stiffeners?

XJ Wheeler
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Its that time of year again, you know, trying to frantically figure out what to get everyone. Well, this ones for me. I, very shamefully, don't have a t-case skid on my xj. I've looked over a lot of skidplates through the years and as hard as it is for me to narrow it down to one i do believe I've done it. Now, that we got through all that :turd:

I really like the offering from JCR. With framerail to framerail 3/16" construction it seems like a stout piece. It has the ability to be installed with or without a t-case drop (i have one now but plan later for a sye and remove the drop). It also bolts on in eleven places, including five into the crossmember. Price is pretty good for such a large chunk of steel.

But.... That's all fine and dandy, however i have a set of TNT frame stiffeners i WILL install in the (somewhat) near future.

My question and reason for taking so much of you nice peoples time is... Will it work? Will the skidplate fit over the new width of the frame rails after the stiffeners? I've looked at the pictures a thousand times and i did ask JCR but they said it might work, and i might have to use a floor jack to get it in place. They also said the width of the skidplate is ~38.5". That uncertainty has lead me to question it even more. Any help would be great. Truly appreciated.

Here are the TNT frame stiffeners for reference.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/JeepcherokeeXJZJuni-bodystiffeners-2.aspx

And the Jcr 231 t-case skid.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=J&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=XJArmor&Product_Code=XJ-SKD-TC

4.3LXJ
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Doesn't look like it will without modification

XJ Wheeler
11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
What do you think it would take, modification wise?

4.3LXJ
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
You would have to cut the mounting plates off and reweld them. Also if there are tubes that go through the frame, you will have to get some longer ones

XJ Wheeler
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
You would have to cut the mounting plates off and reweld them. Also if there are tubes that go through the frame, you will have to get some longer ones

Bummer. Doesn't really sound worth it when there's a ton of offerings that don't wrap around the sides and wouldn't be a problem. They do have a sweet deal on though.

4.3LXJ
11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
This is an issue that will affect anyone that stiffens the frame. Stiffening a frame is a good idea, but you need to plan ahead, such as what you are doing to make sure different manufacturers make compatible parts. Now, as for skid plates, any skid plate or long arm kit that does not attach to the side of the frame will most likely work. So you need to search for a design like that and then you will be OK. Or else, you will need to buy those products from the same manufacturer so that their products will be hopefully compatible.

XJ Wheeler
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
That's pretty much what i was figuring on. I had wanted to go with the TNT crossmember/skid that already has the long arm mounts built in, but its over $600 with shipping for just that piece alone and there's no way i can swing that much right now. That and i saw you talking about how much better a three link performs. Got some serious cranial gear turning ahead of me.

Showtime3492
11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I hate it when companies make a product like this but then dont think about something so simple that is getting pretty common. If it were me in this situation..(oh wait it is also, i have tnt frame stiffeners on my xj.) I would consider 1. are you going to run this skid plate forever? 2. are you opposed to modifying your tnt stiffeners? 3. what other options are their?
I would just build a custom one. but thats me. you could also call jcr and see if they would be willing to add 3/8-1/2 inch to the o.d of one for you since that is what the measurement will differ since the stiffeners are i believe 3/16 or 1/4 cant remember.

XJ Wheeler
11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I am wondering about getting them to add the extra width. I just wonder how much they want for custom work, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

4.3LXJ
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Just a couple of comments on modification on that skid. It looks like al good deal for anyone who has a stock cross member with no drop. If you have a drop, you couldn't use it either. It is formed steel, so it would have to be made from scratch. So, a good alternative. The simple way would be to incorporate a smaller version with your OEM cross member. It would be a triangular, bolt on plate that goes from two places on the cross member to the place on the frame where the stock one would bolt. Just saying.

XJ Wheeler
11-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Just a couple of comments on modification on that skid. It looks like al good deal for anyone who has a stock cross member with no drop. If you have a drop, you couldn't use it either. It is formed steel, so it would have to be made from scratch. So, a good alternative. The simple way would be to incorporate a smaller version with your OEM cross member. It would be a triangular, bolt on plate that goes from two places on the cross member to the place on the frame where the stock one would bolt. Just saying.

There's just something i've never liked about those kind, they don't have much coverage. But if its adequate then that should be fine. Any ones out you would suggest i check out. Price is a concern.

4.3LXJ
11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Personally, I don't know of any. However making one is not hard. Get the 3/16 plate and then start drilling an extra hole in the stock cross member to match one in the plate, holes for the stock ones and then bolt it up. Depending on what you pay for the plate, it can be made much cheaper than what that one is and will be functional. If you live in the mud belt, the design you showed me is a mud catcher. Hood for about a hundred pounds on a good run. Drill some holes in the one you make so water and slurry mud will drain.

Showtime3492
11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally, I don't know of any. However making one is not hard. Get the 3/16 plate and then start drilling an extra hole in the stock cross member to match one in the plate, holes for the stock ones and then bolt it up. Depending on what you pay for the plate, it can be made much cheaper than what that one is and will be functional. If you live in the mud belt, the design you showed me is a mud catcher. Hood for about a hundred pounds on a good run. Drill some holes in the one you make so water and slurry mud will drain.

Agreed. People buy skids that are expensive as all heck when really it isn't practical because it is going tocget beaten and bashed so you may as well just spend $50 and a few hrs time to build your own

XJ Wheeler
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Cool, that's a lot to think about.

gary63
05-31-2013, 09:12 PM
so did you get or make a t-case skid plate or are you stell working on one that will work with the t&t fram stiffiners?

4.3LXJ
05-31-2013, 09:25 PM
As long as there is a hole for the bolt, yes

XJ Wheeler
05-31-2013, 09:29 PM
so did you get or make a t-case skid plate or are you stell working on one that will work with the t&t fram stiffiners?

Sadly, not yet. I don't even have the stiffeners on yet. I want someone pretty good with a welder to burn them in.

gary63
06-01-2013, 08:05 AM
I was thinking I'm useing Detouts rockgaurd/sliders and if I get a longarm kit that has a skid with it and the finesh with a skid for anything that need one that will stifen the fram up and the fram stifeners will be just more welding that might hart the fram in the longrun.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Won't be a problem then. Detours frame stiffener will not interfere with anything else

gary63
06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
that is what I was thinking and the other frame stiffener have a lot of pug welds and I can't but think that that long L shape of metal may gather water mud sand and other thing that might eat away at the frame and you won't see it.

Mudderoy
06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Won't be a problem then. Detours frame stiffener will not interfere with anything else

Anything that wraps around the outside of the unibody rails is a problem.