PDA

View Full Version : How much oil does the oil adapter seals leak?

dagod16
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
What is the typical amount of oil that leaks out of these seals, once you know they are leaking of course. Seems that I have more and more drips each day. Today I had a spattering of about ten or so drips. I know it's the oil adapter seals, which are going to be fixed soon. Can it run all the way down towards the oil pan plug and drip off of that point or area, or drip all the way to the back of the jeep and drip off in that area? Again just a few drips but...concerned?
I'm not low on oil.
Thanks

OrangeXJ
11-18-2012, 05:02 PM
should not leak any but it is a easy fix

dagod16
11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Well its leaking alright. I am going to take it in to the shop in the next 30 days, right now the drips are on some cardboard. This isn't going to like blow out on me and all the engine oil leak out onto the floor. I did notice that most of the leaks seem to at start up and one or two after I shut it off at night? Any thoughts?

bigjim350
11-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Ive seen some just leak a few drops, and some pour oil out. Just depends on how bad the o-rings are.

dagod16
11-19-2012, 03:38 AM
well then maybe i should hurry up and get it done

gajeepguy
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
What is the typical amount of oil that leaks out of these seals, once you know they are leaking of course. Seems that I have more and more drips each day. Today I had a spattering of about ten or so drips. I know it's the oil adapter seals, which are going to be fixed soon. Can it run all the way down towards the oil pan plug and drip off of that point or area, or drip all the way to the back of the jeep and drip off in that area? Again just a few drips but...concerned?
I'm not low on oil.
Thanks

I just did my Orings last week on my 89. It took me all of about 20 minutes and that included changing the oil :) Mine leaked really bad, in fact the entire passenger side of my engine, trans, oil pan and everything in between was covered in oil. No idea how long it had been leaking.

Mine appears to still be leaking, but I know it's not the orings so I'm guessing it's the distributor mounting gasket. Might want to change that too while your in there :)

89Laredo
11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
-91 is easier to do than 91+.
They use a regular bolt instead of torx.

gajeepguy
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
-91 is easier to do than 91+.
They use a regular bolt instead of torx.

Go figure! Seems like every time I work on the heep I end up at the store buying torx drivers lol!

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

dagod16
11-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Mine is an 01. I tried and I can't get the darn bolt off. ITs ok I don't mind paying 67 bucks to the dealer for this one.

Any chance that this bolt will have the head torn off when it is removed and the bolt will still be lodged in the adapter casing?

gajeepguy
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Mine is an 01. I tried and I can't get the darn bolt off. ITs ok I don't mind paying 67 bucks to the dealer for this one.

Any chance that this bolt will have the head torn off when it is removed and the bolt will still be lodged in the adapter casing?

I don't know about the newer xjs but IF I had snapped the bolt on my 89 seems like the adapter would slide off leaving the bolt exposed

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2