PDA

View Full Version : Tires....the painful question...

Dredwolf
11-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I have been looking to replace my Firestone AT's before they wear much more so I can resell them. Looking at the 12.50x33x15 to use my existing wheels.

I live in a region where even new Tahoe's are seen sporting TSL Swampers..:crazy:, but I don't want a pure-mud tire, I am not trailering the XJ, I have to drive it to where I want to wheel. IF I was hauling it on a trailer, I would probably go the TSL route and be done with it. Back in the day, Buckshot Mudders and the economy Mud King were awesome in this region. So that has me looking for the impossible....a traction tire with good manners, and safe enough for my wife to drive the XJ in the rain. And something that will wear good enough to survive the trek to Moab next year.

I thought I wanted Duratrac's, but then saw some reviews that said they are delicate in the sidewall. Have used the MT Kevlar's out west in dry rock and wet mud, and was impressed, but not by the $$.

Now I am looking at Cooper Discoverer STT's and some others, M/T tires with siping, and good sidewalls. I have buggy-building friends that trash the BFG MT's.

Honest opinions? I would try the Treadwrights if they had the size, but I have noticed their prices are creeping up when I checked on 10.50x31's for my son. I know there are a LOT of brands out there these days, so what am I missing?

cantab27
11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
kumho kl71 ....lov em on my old xj......

grab a beer and have a read john.....

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Kumho/Road+Venture+MT+(KL71)

bigjim350
11-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Ran 35" Cooper STT's on a old chevy truck I had. Worked great on and off road.

xjrev10
11-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Ran a set of STTs on well the XJ in my avatar pic. They wear fast on the street but worked great in rocks and on snow.

bluedragon436
11-18-2012, 03:13 AM
The Treadwrights aren't bad, but their selection for 15" rims sucks, especially when you get up to the 32"+ area... I have been looking at the STT's and the BFG MT KM2's to replace my current Baja Claws, which I love... but want something that will be a bit better road wear wise, as I mainly DD this thing on the road more than I get to play in the mud/trails... I have also run Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains... and I loved those... I have very seriously been considering picking up another set of those for my XJ as they wore well on the street, and were great in snow, mud trails and the rain..

Dredwolf
11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I'll take a look at the Pro Comp line....my XJ is not a daily driver, but I want to be able to stand driving it 4-6 hours to the trails in other states.

bigjim350
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Pro-comps wear out VERY fast on the street. My buddy only got about 8k miles out of a set of x-terrains before they were damn near slicks.

Dredwolf
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Pro-comps wear out VERY fast on the street. My buddy only got about 8k miles out of a set of x-terrains before they were damn near slicks.

Well fudge. That is not going to work. I am not expecting 80K mileage, but less than 10K is not going to get it either. Rotation and balancing will not be an issue (unless the tire carcass is crap to begin with).

I ran two sets of the BFG M/T's back in the day with good results on the CJ. The BFG A/T's have been ok on the K20 (will replace with something cheaper in E range again), and I run Michelin LTX's on the two Explorers, and will continue until they fail at the intended job.

Cooper makes a LOT of the small label tires, are there other large tire makers that do the same?

xjrev10
11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
If you can, go with the BFGs. Or even MTR-Ks. Both I have used on wheeler/dds. I would recommend either!

Victoriabcboy
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I REALLY liked my TOYO M/T's they were super quiet, worked great on everything. A little slick on wet pavment but I did have them on my '97 1500 chev stepside with a fiberglass box (no weight over the rear axle) and an Eaton locker.

I had almost 60K on them and were like half worn. I work at a tire shop so I got a smokin' deal. They are not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

The pro comps work great but you get less than half the life for half the price (does that make sense???)

I really don't like the BFG's the A/T or the M/T's. I don't think the quality is there for the money. They have just been riding on the name for way to long.

If you want to save a buck check out the NITTO's. they have some good choices and are basically a less expensive, but still high quality TOYO.

I'm currently running P265/70R15 TOYO A/T's and LOVE them great in the dry,wet, snow, and I'm not a harcore off roader they've done well for me in the bush.

Tire tip ALWAYS ask the guys IN the shop what they have on their trucks and why.

Carves
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I'll throw a spanner in the works and mention these ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Tyres%20and%20Wheels/RF10Hankook01b.jpg

Been using the brand for ages ... bought the A/Ts again coz I thought the M/Ts might be excessive on a DD ... but have read some owners writeups stating the M/Ts have good onroad manners.

EekGirl96
12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Im currently running KM2's on my XJ...she's a DD and a weekend trail rig. I love the KM2's, wouldnt trade them for the world....theyre expensive but I think theyre worth every penny

Dredwolf
12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll throw a spanner in the works and mention these ...

Been using the brand for ages ... bought the A/Ts again coz I thought the M/Ts might be excessive on a DD ... but have read some owners writeups stating the M/Ts have good onroad manners.

Heard good things about Hankook, but they are hard to find in my region for a economical price.

One of the mags did a test, and Hankook surprised them.

Dredwolf
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Got to look at some Cooper STT's today that were run pretty hard, and they seem to be holding up well, and some Mickey Thompson's.

I would try the Firestone Destination MT's, if they had some siping.

xjrev10
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Firestone MTs? For some reason I thought they where discontinued?!

Dredwolf
12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I'll try to follow up on that. Finally saw a set of Duratracs in person on a dodge 1500, and they looked pretty good, but the "horror stories" of the sidewalks scare me

Olie's87XJ
12-17-2012, 01:01 AM
I've run my 33/12.50r15 Pro-Comp X-terrains for over 10000KM a few are still good. I have sliced a sidewall, and if your alignment is off, or there is something loose in the front end, and the fronts scrub, then they dont last. Take into consideration added weight after align, and spring settle. Even with my lock right, the fonts wear faster... proper rotations help.

Dredwolf
12-31-2012, 05:25 PM
After some digging, it seems Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek are made by Cooper, while there are a number of statements that Cooper also makes Pro Comp.

There are a number of good deals out there on Pro Comp MT's too, like this one:
http://www.tirepackage.com/Tires/Pro-Comp-Tires-Radial-Mud-Terrain.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=157&t_pt=100807&t_pl=3358

My local store is quoting about $216/tire for the Cooper STT's in 12.50/33 x15 installed.

About ready just to buy something and try it...:bang:

Dredwolf
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Anyone have experience with the Maxxis Bighorns?

Local shop has those for a decent price too....but 4WheelParts still has the sale on the Pro Comps...:confused:

cantab27
01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Most down here say they r best bang for your
buck....got allrounder

4.3LXJ
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Anyone have experience with the Maxxis Bighorns?

Local shop has those for a decent price too....but 4WheelParts still has the sale on the Pro Comps...:confused:

Check the actual diameter on the Pro Comps. They run small and you may want to go an inch higher. Helps them come in with a low price.

Dredwolf
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Check the actual diameter on the Pro Comps. They run small and you may want to go an inch higher. Helps them come in with a low price.

Good to know! I am trying for a siped traction tire because of the southeast mud, but trying to keep decent road manners and wear. I have read far more articles than I ever thought I would.

I am down to Cooper STT, Maxxis Big Horn, Pro Comp MT's, And......

4.3LXJ
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Check with Les Schwab Tires if you have them. They are big on adding sipes out here

denverd1
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Have heard good things on Bighorns, Cooper STT's almost got my vote last time I bought. Josh- NWXJ99 says Pro Comps aren't worth it.

Dredwolf
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Have heard good things on Bighorns, Cooper STT's almost got my vote last time I bought. Josh- NWXJ99 says Pro Comps aren't worth it.

My local shop can get the Maxxis or Coopers in a day or two, and they have the Mastercraft in stock....but while I am sure the Mastercraft will work and save some $, I wanted siped.

I could pick up a groover and cut the Mastercrafts (did a couple of sets of Wild Country's that way years ago, and Swampers too), but I am trying to avoid the "Swamper TSL's on pavement" sound unless I am actually running Swampers.

LizardRunner
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
I run the Hancook Dynapros, mine came with sipes and they are working great for both on and off road.

Dredwolf
01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I run the Hancook Dynapros, mine came with sipes and they are working great for both on and off road.

Those won that 4x4 Garage tire test too, but I am having trouble locating them in my neck of the woods for a decent price. The ProComps are the best deal right now, but the concerns are making that not such a great deal

Mudderoy
01-18-2013, 03:31 PM

Damn it's just like the computer monitor scam!!!!! :bang:

4.3LXJ
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Lots of that going around. 32.1" is advertised as 33"

Mudderoy
01-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Lots of that going around. 32.1" is advertised as 33"

They need to make women in charge of measuring things then! :rolleye0018:

4.3LXJ
01-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh what a blow :bang::bang::bang::sign0181::sad0147::sad0147::eek :

oderdene
01-19-2013, 03:16 AM
I am interesting to order 32x1150R15 Kumho Road venture MT KL71, read tons of good and bad reviews, who here have experience with them? they for DD + weekend warrior

cantab27
01-19-2013, 03:28 AM
I am interesting to order 32x1150R15 Kumho Road venture MT KL71, read tons of good and bad reviews, who here have experience with them? they for DD + weekend warrior

i had them on my old one mate....lov em and would run again....mine were 33s but not a true 33 so check that....run high psi on road and they will last well...directional so swap em around ..as in front to back.......great in the wet / snow and not that noisy........and love the mud:D

Dredwolf
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I have been looking into the Dick Cepek Mud Country's....the siping seems full-depth, unlike the Maxxis Big Horns, and the reported wear is fairly high, with decent road noise.

Lot of the TJ and JK guys here like the MTZ's, but many of them have money to throw at most problems, not my style.

I would have never thought I would spend this much time on this single purchase...a decent set of tires...:bang:

This is going to turn into a spreadsheet problem before its over with.:crazy:

cantab27
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
got the dc on tj.....true 33 and a hard wearing tire.......not to fussed on em would rather have the kl71s....and no i havernt got money to throw at it.....need em buy em simple...........

Dredwolf
01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
got the dc on tj.....true 33 and a hard wearing tire.......not to fussed on em would rather have the kl71s....and no i havernt got money to throw at it.....need em buy em simple...........

So the Kumho's work that well over the Mud Country's?

I am running Firestone Destination AT's now, so any aggressive tire will be an improvement, but I am trying to avoid (as much as I can) the bad traits of "typical" MT tires...

cantab27
01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
So the Kumho's work that well over the Mud Country's?

I am running Firestone Destination AT's now, so any aggressive tire will be an improvement, but I am trying to avoid (as much as I can) the bad traits of "typical" MT tires...

yours isnt a dd is it.....me having had both i would go the kl71s..run em psi high on the road ..xj has heaps of power and clears the mud easy:D..have good side protection....not a true 33 but so check that out...think i have a pic of the two tires side by side.....will see if i can dig it up....:thumbsup:

Dredwolf
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
yours isnt a dd is it.....me having had both i would go the kl71s..run em psi high on the road ..xj has heaps of power and clears the mud easy:D..have good side protection....not a true 33 but so check that out...think i have a pic of the two tires side by side.....will see if i can dig it up....:thumbsup:

Mine is not a DD, but I can't trailer either...I am trying for a rig that can handle 3+ hour interstate trips, rain/shine/what passes for snow here, and still be viable off-road...