PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee fan clutch stuff

XJ4IV
11-17-2012, 08:45 PM
ok those who have done the upgrade... I went to rockauto.com today and I saw a reverse rotation heavy duty clutch... Im curious ... HOW is it reverse rotation? is it gonna work with my jeep or not? I really want to ditch this POS electric fan setup from dirtbound!

4.3LXJ
11-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Scott, I am not sure when the break is, but somewhere the water pumps went from regular rotation to reverse. It depends on how the belt is routed.

Mudderoy
11-18-2012, 12:46 AM
ok those who have done the upgrade... I went to rockauto.com today and I saw a reverse rotation heavy duty clutch... Im curious ... HOW is it reverse rotation? is it gonna work with my jeep or not? I really want to ditch this POS electric fan setup from dirtbound!

To be fair you purchased the shroud from DirtBound, correct? The rest you pieced together?

bluedragon436
11-18-2012, 05:09 AM
I went to AZ and just ordered a HD fan clutch for a ZJ, they told me there was only one PN, and it happened to be the same PN that everyone else online is running with the swap... I don't have the PN on me as I don't have the part here in durkadurka-stan with me... I'll see if I can find the PN I got online somewhere..

Brasscatz
11-18-2012, 10:05 AM
here in durkadurka-stan with me...

:rotfl2::smiley-laughing021:

XJ4IV
11-19-2012, 10:47 PM
To be fair you purchased the shroud from DirtBound, correct? The rest you pieced together?

with the same parts that DB uses... I just couldnt see giving the middle man another 100 bucks...

4.3LXJ
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
So how many CFM do you r fans pull?

XJ4IV
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
states 1550 each... but thats BS im sure! the OE fan pulled way more in just feeling the difference!

4.3LXJ
11-23-2012, 10:38 AM
All three of those fans are slightly more than the stock fans

XJMJeep
11-23-2012, 10:45 AM
I was going to do that mod myself until I found this post from Firemanray.

I did the upgrade and must have had weak motor mounts. I went wheeling last week end and pushed the clutch into the radiator. Other than that problem it works great!! As far as removing the fan I removed the bolts from the shroud, then removed the bolts holding the fan assembly to the pulley. The fan and shroud can then be lifted out as one unit.
Here's a video of the carnage happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-fEj-KUdU&feature=player_embedded

Mudderoy
11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
with the same parts that DB uses... I just couldnt see giving the middle man another 100 bucks...

My point is if you're going to talk bad about a vendor you need to add those details. As meticulous as you may have been to get the exact parts it's only fair to the vendor to mention that all you purchased from the vendor, DirtBound Offroad, was the shroud.

4.3LXJ
11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Scott, did yo get pushers or pullers?

XJ4IV
12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
they pull air through the radiator

BlueXJ
12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Where did you purchase the fans from? I think the DB system flows plenty of air.

As to the WP i put one on my XJ at the same time I replaced the radiator with a 3 row aluminum one and it was way cooler until the radiator sprung a leak. I don't think it was up to the amount of flexing I put the Jeep through. I was told there was only 1 PN for the pump.

4.3LXJ
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
they pull air through the radiator

What I meant was that fans are directional due to the design of the blades. You can make them run backwards by reversing the wires to the power source. But they don't move near as much air that way.