PDA

View Full Version : Winch opinion

01xjcny
11-16-2012, 05:36 AM
so last night i respond to a plea for help for a stuck truck, did not know the guy just was a friend of a guy i am in a club with. Well i get there and they look at the xj like yea right that wont do it the truck was complete buried. Would say it was a 50 yard pull so i hook the cable and tie the rear off to a tree, that did not work so i used a snatch block and dug out the axle and freed it up. Now what is was wondering i have the 12 k lb warn power plant work great but takes a ton of power already planning dual battery. But is it worth selling this and taking the money to get a winch that runs off the power steering system. Have not looked at them just sounded nice. defiantly want to change out to synthetic rope. This xj is a winching machine

OrangeXJ
11-16-2012, 05:47 AM
you will like the rope

gary63
11-16-2012, 07:49 AM
when you said off the power steering I'm geussing you are talk hydrolecs winch.
that is what tow rigs use and they work great but they are missy and usuly leak
alittle. and it is a extra lode on you eng.but you can use them all day.

4.3LXJ
11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
The only one I know of set up for wheeling is the Mile Marker. They do work well, although saw one fail on video at Top Truck Challenge. You are right, Warns do take a lot of juice to run. Dual batteries are nice, I have them to run my Warn 9.5ti. One thing about electric winches, especially the Warn is to make short pulls if possible. I do that, when possible and then take out the cable and re spool it correctly. This saves cable and allows the batteries to charge. Optimas are great winching batteries because if you have lots of alternator, they charge very quickly.

cantab27
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
i would only use rope on the winch now days ,,much nicer on the hands :D

we have a few set up hydraulic winch trucks down here...more ya comp thing,,,,,some pulls are gonna be tuff ..the ones ive see have tank for hydraulics and hose everywhere,,,stick with ya warn , less to go wrong with it,,

prerunner1982
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM
The Hydraulic (run off power steering pump) winch works well if you are recovering other people only. If it is for self recovery I would stick with an electric winch. The hydraulic winch (and PTO winch) requires that the engine be running to work. An electric winch will work as long as you have the battery juice to keep it going.

I guess this depends on the type of terrain you will be wheeling in. If you are playing in deep mud/water where the engine may submerge and die and electric winch may be your best bet.

cantab27
11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
good points jon............plus the remote kinda come in handy for self recovery's..

OrangeXJ
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
zup wayne

OrangeXJ
11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
rope and a wire less control

LizardRunner
11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Electric winch, one size up rope and dual batteries, #0 To #0000 cables all around (you can not get cables that are to big). That's way I would set up. Here's a handy chart that will help anyone choose the right cable size for their winch/charging system http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

gary63
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Also with a elec. winch someone can help you out with a jump with pto or hyd. when your jeep is dead you are done.

Carves
11-16-2012, 04:00 PM
so last night i respond to a plea for help for a stuck truck, did not know the guy just was a friend of a guy i am in a club with. Well i get there and they look at the xj like yea right that wont do it the truck was complete buried. Would say it was a 50 yard pull so i hook the cable and tie the rear off to a tree, that did not work so i used a snatch block and dug out the axle and freed it up. Now what is was wondering i have the 12 k lb warn power plant work great but takes a ton of power already planning dual battery. But is it worth selling this and taking the money to get a winch that runs off the power steering system. Have not looked at them just sounded nice. defiantly want to change out to synthetic rope. This xj is a winching machine

A bit of recovery prep such as some digging ... is always a good move for an easier recovery.

Since you already have a big electric ... I'd suggest just increasing the battery reserves.

If you look at the mile marker hyd type ... do some googlingling/checking out hyd shops/supplies .... as there are - 12v hyd pumps on the market - which are more capable than the XJs little power steering pump.

01xjcny
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
well so far i have winched out other people more then myself. Last night was my first real test of the system wish i had pics of it, i was the 6th vehicle to come to the rescue. was an older stock f 250 with a plow mount. For sure want the rope and remote and will be my winter upgrades i have plan. Already have a battery to use just have to wire it up an make a mount for it, thing is massive 1150 cca. i was happy with the speed at witch it went in and out. still newer to the offroad thing but have tow truck experience and knew how to use the snatch block with out it i would not have gotten it out. I really think the warn did good was just wondering if the hydraulic would work better. But sounds like hook up the other battery, good, cable and maybe a stronger alt

cantab27
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
as carves said a bit of digging can go along ways...save this for the owner of stuck 4wd......i was always weary when winching bigger trucks with the fact the xj has no chassis and chance of bending of putting a slight kink in the uni-body.......just me but.....biggest thing ive pulled out was a well stuck 80 series yota.....

01xjcny
11-17-2012, 02:07 PM
i do have the sub frame braced for some support, now i know what it can do but i will stick with what i have never crossed my mind if the jeep dies the winch dies with the hydraulic

cantab27
11-17-2012, 02:12 PM
i do have the sub frame braced for some support, now i know what it can do but i will stick with what i have never crossed my mind if the jeep dies the winch dies with the hydraulic

kinda like if it anit broke dont fix it.......:D

01xjcny
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
exactly i will just upgrade to the rope and the battery and see how it goes

gajeepguy
11-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Too bad there's not a PTO winch option for XJs.

barflyfisherman
10-19-2014, 11:01 AM
I have dual batteries on my XJ.
My WARN winch used to kill both batteries in a heartbeat.

One time the winch killed the cells in both of the sealed gel cell batteries.
Been there & have had to be towed home where I had to replace BOTH BATTERIES.
But at least I was able to get unstuck and back to pavement, where AAA could tow me for free.

I switched over to a Mile Marker hydraulic winch and a PSC high flow power steering unit.
I love it.

The engine does need to be reved to increase the hydraulic output and speed of winch recovery.