PDA

View Full Version : To bumpstop, or not to bumpstop....

Dredwolf
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
THAT is the question.:D

Got a 4.5" lift w/ 33" tires, and my front factory bumpstops crumbed like a stale cookie last weekend.

Not really all that worried about the fenders rubbing...

http://i.minus.com/ibka5Nz2rn9rnd.JPG

The above pic was taken BEFORE the front bumpstops crumbled.

More concerned about preventing damaged to suspension and drive train components than fenders (Bim Jim style bumpstops?)

So should I use OEM replacements, or go back with Daystar from one of our forum vendors?

oderdene
11-11-2012, 05:41 AM
yeah, it seems you need an extended bumpstop. aftermarket one definitely good,
i used hockey puck in front (2 each) and spacer at rear

Firemanray
11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I had the same lift and tire size you do. I just used the fenders until I raised it another 2". It's kind of hard on the tires, sliced all kind of grooves in them.

bluedragon436
11-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Ahhh good old SC and no fares required!! If I don't manage to procure some flares to keep the MD/DE folks happy I'll be trying to register my XJ down there next year... Might do it anyways, since I'd rather be registered in SC than DE anyways... I wouldn't worry about bumpstopping unles it starts causing damage to your tires or fenders...

Dredwolf
11-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I had the same lift and tire size you do. I just used the fenders until I raised it another 2". It's kind of hard on the tires, sliced all kind of grooves in them.

I trimmed the fronts a little more today, we'll see how it does at full stuff. :pray:

I measured the bumpstop "buckets" today, they are 2". If I get the poly bumpstops, can they be trimmed?:confused:

Like I said, not worried about sheetmetal, but don't want to damage the suspension or drive train.

4.3LXJ
11-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I trimmed the fronts a little more today, we'll see how it does at full stuff. :pray:

I measured the bumpstop "buckets" today, they are 2". If I get the poly bumpstops, can they be trimmed?:confused:

Like I said, not worried about sheetmetal, but don't want to damage the suspension or drive train.

Yes, they can be cut with a hack saw

Dredwolf
12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Well :sign0055:

I got the wrong size bumpstops. Anybody need the larger size? I'll post pics when I can find my camera.

Dredwolf
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Behold, the wrong diameter front bump stop for my application....

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3356

Does anyone need this size?

prcjeep
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
lube em up and stick em in! im sure they'll fit lol

Dredwolf
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
lube em up and stick em in! im sure they'll fit lol

Only if I took a grinder to them....got the other size on the way.