PDA

View Full Version : NSS and p0705 code

viprus
11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Howdy, so I picked up a 99 cherokee (3rd one i've owned) and this one is throwing a bit of a fit.

It had a slew of codes and drove a bit funny so i tossed a new TPS at it right off the bat and it cleared the codes and drove better. But there is one issue that I still am fighting.

A p0705 code keeps getting set, and I can start the truck in all gears, so I replaced the NSS.

The new sensor dident change anything. I grabbed my snap-on solus (scan tool) and found out that the TCM sees all the positions of the NSS/Range sensor but the PCM only sees p-n (park/neutral). So, my PCM and TCM are not communicating.

Does anybody have and idea? or can someone tell me the pins on the TCM and ECM that communicate the transmission position?

Thanks,
-Andy

Carves
11-11-2012, 12:16 AM
.............. A p0705 code keeps getting set, and I can start the truck in all gears, so I replaced the NSS.

The new sensor dident change anything..................

Interestingly ... the 99FSM doesnt list a P0705 code ... which is handy .. :rolleyes: .. :D

Heres a web one .. http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0705/Diagnostics/Chrysler/Default.aspx

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0705refers to The park/neutral position (PNP) switch includes a transmission range switch. The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Symptoms
Possible symptoms of OBD code P0705
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0705
- Open or short park/neutral position switch circuit
- Poor park/neutral position switch circuit connection
- Misadjusted park/neutral position switch - Park/neutral position switch may be faulty
The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position and sends a signal to the TCM.

Just for starters ... Have a good look at the NSS wiring harness and the firewall connector ... In case someone has done that bodgy, paperclip bypass/whatever ... for all gear starting ... instead of cleaning/replacing the NSS.

Carves
11-15-2012, 03:48 AM
Any luck yet ??

Still need some wiring diagrams ??