PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Drain plug is not closing

willpoot
11-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I tried to drain some coolant out of my 1995 Cherokee. I was not sure how the drain plug worked, and I tried to take it all the off, but it would not come off. After trying that, it looks like I should have just turned it , maybe? Until the water started draining but it would not drain. Is there a way to close that drain back, I turn and turn but will not close. can anyone tell me how to do this or do I need to replace the drain valve, or the whole radiator? Thanks for your help.

willpoot
11-06-2012, 08:16 AM
did I post this in the wrong area? I'm not to familiar with navigating on this site. No one has responded so I wasn't sure if I posted in the right spot.

OrangeXJ
11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I woud try changing the valve first

4.3LXJ
11-06-2012, 10:18 AM
If it won't open, it is probably clogged. If it won't close, you have damaged the threads. You can usually replace them. They are available at all radiator shops and most parts stores.

Joliet Johnny
11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
If you stripped the threads on the drain valve your best bet may be to remove the drain valve and install a bolt covered in silicon. I couldnt get mine to move to I dropped the lower radiator hose.

XJ Wheeler
11-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Make sure you've pushed the drain plug in enough to enable the threads. Its tough to tell sometimes since its positioning, well... sucks.

willpoot
11-07-2012, 12:44 AM
I appreciate the help. To late tho, i am replacing the whole radiator. this site is way too slow to respond and i will not return to this site. good luck and have fun with your chat sessions among-st the others.

cantab27
11-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I appreciate the help. To late tho, i am replacing the whole radiator. this site is way too slow to respond and i will not return to this site. good luck and have fun with your chat sessions among-st the others.

see ya then,,thought the answers covered the issues you where having ...seems like you have other issues ...:rolleye0012:

bigjim350
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Please if you find a site that is quicker to respond with helpful and kind suggestions let me know. In fact ill help. Post that question on pirate4x4.com and I assure you, you will get tons of responses.

XJ Wheeler
11-07-2012, 01:31 AM

I've been a member on several forums and surprisingly even though its not the biggest i get the quickest responses with the most valuable and respectful answers on this very one. Some of my questions and other posts on other forums were completely ignored and went unreplied.

So good luck, but try giving the next one a chance. Otherwise you'll only frustrate yourself.

OrangeXJ
11-07-2012, 07:08 AM

see ya

oderdene
11-07-2012, 08:34 AM
anyway, you have spare radiator if you replace drain valve.

we all have choice, nothing wrong

BlueXJ
11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
This forum is a volunteer forum. Many only get on it occasionly and a quick response is never a sure thing. We are not like a phone bank away. You post and we read and reply if we have an answer.
We are sorry that your answer came in a less than rapid way. We will miss you but do hope you will give us another try, now that you know how a forum works..
Where are you located in N.C. as I have relatives in several locations there. I may be able to refer you to locals who can answer your questions about your Jeep. We are here anytime but can NOT promise a rapid answer, please give us another try.

LizardRunner
11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Wow, answers on the same day posted isn't fast enough?

4.3LXJ
11-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Apparently not. I guess thee was a misunderstanding of how forums work. We are a community that volunteers fellowship and technical expertise. That means you may or may not get what you need quickly. But I do know I posted almost immediately after it came up on my screen. I think perhaps the bottom line is that this person who had been posting is just blaming us for frustration in general

cantab27
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
maybe he dont like Obama.........4 more years..........

LizardRunner
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah I think so, I've always recieved an answer fast here, and I try to give them fast when I'm on, if I have the knowledge to share.

LizardRunner
11-07-2012, 10:57 AM
maybe he dont like Obama.........4 more years..........

Ah Hah! that's probably it!!