PDA

View Full Version : XJ lack of power when climbing problem

r111rdody
11-01-2012, 01:15 PM
i have problem with my xj.
no power when it begins to accelerate from a stop position, getting worse when climbing.
but the engine still able to climb the high hill without dying. it's just running very slow at low rpm.

but when on a flat road, after positions in the 3rd or 4th, the engine run fine.

think about what is the problem? can it fuel system or electrical?

4.3LXJ
11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Temp gauge operating normally? How long since the O2 sensor has been replaced. How about the spark plugs? But I think the biggest possibility is the catalytic converter is getting plugged up.

LizardRunner
11-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm with steve, check that cat out.

r111rdody
11-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Temp gauge operating normally? How long since the O2 sensor has been replaced. How about the spark plugs? But I think the biggest possibility is the catalytic converter is getting plugged up.
thanks Steve.. :)

my first problem is heat problems. for that, i change: viscous fan, lower radiator hose, waterpump, thermostat. and i also change temp sensor (2 sensors).

temp gauge look normal ( it's stay on 70 degree, and near 90 degree at climb). but, I just realized that I did not have o2 sensor on my xj.. my friend here at indonesia also do not have o2 sensor on his xj. (it's replace with big bolt on it, but i can see a socket near it).

the catalytic converter is look different with with the catalytic part i see at online webstore. mine, look like muffler.

spark plug, distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires has been replace. Cps and coil also replace.

*sorry if my english not good.

r111rdody
11-02-2012, 04:16 AM
I'm with steve, check that cat out.thanks Chip.. :)

I'll try to check as soon as possible.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
The O2 sensor is very important. It lets the computer know how much gas the injectors need to squirt. At least some of your problem can be a result of not having it. I am not sure of the parts available where you are, but here we can get bungs to weld into the pipe to accept the sensor.

r111rdody
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
The O2 sensor is very important. It lets the computer know how much gas the injectors need to squirt. At least some of your problem can be a result of not having it. I am not sure of the parts available where you are, but here we can get bungs to weld into the pipe to accept the sensor.
thanks you steve .. :)

I realize that the o2 sensor is important. but many users xj here that were not being used. I just asked about the catalytic converter in the forums here, they do not use it too.

I do not understand about get bungs to weld into the pipe to accept the sensor. but my pipe still have the place to accept the sensor, and still have the connector.

I do not know if I replace the o2 sensor, whether the sensor pcm can still read it. because the sensor is gone for a long time.

I do not know whether to open the o2 sensor is done here based on what. but many who do not. I'm finding out. What might pcm has been modified to not accept messages from o2 sensor.

I feel confused about this, but I will try to open the first catalytic converter, and see the results. because, without the o2 sensor, I think it's useless if I replace the catalytic converter.

I will update progress as I try to open the catalytic converter. if this method can not, I will try to put the o2 sensor and reassemble with a new catalytic converter.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Rafa, if you put the O2 sensor in, pull the battery cables off and touch them together and replace them. This clears the computer memory and it will relearn every thing. If nothing else, it will help your gas milage.

r111rdody
11-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Rafa, if you put the O2 sensor in, pull the battery cables off and touch them together and replace them. This clears the computer memory and it will relearn every thing. If nothing else, it will help your gas milage.yes steve, thanks.. :)

I just got the information, that all xj in Indonesia have no O2 sensor, and also does not have a catalytic converter. the reason is because in the year '90, there is no unleaded gasoline.

catalytic converter itself, replaced by a muffler. so in my xj, there are 2 pieces of muffler.

back to the first issue, after I check the exhaust system, my xj problem does not come from clogged catalytic converter.

could it be that the problem of fuel supply? or maybe the sensor?
or perhaps automatic transmission?

I am currently trying to install the o2 sensor. to see if there are changes.

4.3LXJ
11-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Were you able to see if the exhaust system is blocked? Can you take the pipe off the header and try that?

r111rdody
07-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Were you able to see if the exhaust system is blocked? Can you take the pipe off the header and try that?
sorry for late update.

i believe yes the catalytic converter is blocked. i knock the catalytic converter and it seem that it's like rock inside.

i don't change the cc yet, because of my xj won't start for about 3 month now. it has no spark.

today i replace cps & ignition coil, but still have no spark.
i check wire from ignition coil, CPS to ECU, & it's connect. could it be my ECU bad? or NSS bad that prevent to coil to spark?

nickyg
07-14-2013, 01:02 PM
I had a problem similar to this and it was a plastic bag got caught in front of my air intake box. restricting air flow into the engine.
Did you check the air filter?

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I had a problem similar to this and it was a plastic bag got caught in front of my air intake box. restricting air flow into the engine.
Did you check the air filter?
i do check my air intake box and it's fine. my catalytic converter is bad, i think..

r111rdody
07-17-2013, 12:19 PM
today i try to open catalytic converter & muffler.

i didn't see that cc is blocked. it's only chamber inside.

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/5507/m701.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/7411/8vig.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/1580/ms4l.jpg

so, i think catalytic conv. is't the problem. but yes, my xj don't have an o2 sensor. but it's fine before.

after reinstall the cc & muffler, my xj still have a lack of power problem.
my xj just won't run fast. it stick to only gear 1 or 2. (before i got the problem, my xj stay at gear 2 or 3 whit the same speed. also have a lower rpm to shift. now, i have to maintain +2000rpm to shift the gear).

could it be a transmission selenoid bad? or maybe a clutch problem?

tommorow i plan to get a carb. cleaner to clean intake, check plug gap & check transmission oil level.

4.3LXJ
07-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Do the overseas XJs have an O2 sensor? Somewhere in my memory I think I heard that.

oderdene
07-17-2013, 08:14 PM
mine is 91 limited for europe, 4.0 H.O - have 1 O2 sensor

4.3LXJ
07-17-2013, 08:26 PM
My question here is if it is supposed to or not

Cheromaniac
07-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Depending on the local emission laws, some XJs in export markets didn't have an O2 sensor and some didn't have a cat either. Mine was one of them. Cats and O2 sensors only became mandatory on Gulf spec vehicles from 2002. It's possible the same could also apply to Indonesia.
European and Australian XJs definitely would have been equipped with an O2 sensor & cat as their emission laws are probably as strict as the Federal US.

r111rdody
07-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Do the overseas XJs have an O2 sensor? Somewhere in my memory I think I heard that.

sorry for late reply.

xj here in indonesia, don't have an o2 sensor, and also don't have a catalytic converter (1994 - 1998). 1998 - up i think have an o2 sensor.

updating of my leak of power problem, it's a vacuum leak. my vacuum tube to the transmission broke.

now my xj is back to normal. have plenty of power to accelerate & climb.. :)

and now i plan to put an o2 sensor to my xj.
but, i have a questions:

- can anyone help me with picture of the 1994 o2 sensor connector? or maybe part number?

- if we use o2 sensor, do we have to use catalytic converter? because i don't plan to use catalytic conv.

r111rdody
07-20-2013, 07:43 AM
mine is 91 limited for europe, 4.0 H.O - have 1 O2 sensor

i think it supposed to have o2 sensor.
but here in indonesia, since no unleaded fuel in the year 1994 - 1998, all xj been modified with no o2 sensor & catalytic converter. 1998 - up have it.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2013, 09:33 AM
I think it would help you to have one. All you have to do is weld a bung for it in anywhere in the exhaust near the engine. Is it wired for it already?

r111rdody
07-20-2013, 09:39 AM
I think it would help you to have one. All you have to do is weld a bung for it in anywhere in the exhaust near the engine. Is it wired for it already?
there is a bung on my exhaust. it's cover by bolt. and yes it has a box connector with 4 pin.

i search on ebay, there's lot of oxygen sensor. but i don't know which one is direct fit.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2013, 09:51 AM
On Ebay here in the states, there is generally a section that says what vehicles this part fits. But I am unsure what actual part number to use. Can yo check at an auto parts store there in your area?

r111rdody
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
there's a local part store here in indonesia. but it's kind a expensive. :D i always find my part online to save $.

i don't know the connector type, because i don't have one on my xj.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Raja, sometimes what I do is go to parts stores and get parts numbers and prices from them. Then find that same brand and part number someplace else.

r111rdody
07-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Raja, sometimes what I do is go to parts stores and get parts numbers and prices from them. Then find that same brand and part number someplace else.
i'm away from the city here. it takes 450km to the part shop.

i think both female and male connector is in my xj, but no wire to the sensor. thats why i can't figure the connector type. i'll go check tommorow.

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 07:40 AM
updating my xj condition. *sorry for late updating

finnaly, i got my o2 sensor, and installing it. not many changes since i'm not resetting my ecu. but, week ago, i change my battery and install new battery clamp since my clamp seems bad. after that, my xj start better. the idle speed is better than before.

i testing it on the road, the engine has more power than before. and also has better fuel consumption now. very happy with the result. :)

but, there are still minor problems.

the engine has lack of power again after i fill the fuel (after i open the gas cap). engine start to loose power, high rpm with no power.
i don't check the fuel pressure yet, because i don't have the pressure gauge.

when i open the gas cap, it's don't have pressure. is it normal? i believe that it's have to pressure inside the tank. i try to add rubber on my gas cap, but still don't have pressure.

is my fuel pump is bad, or there are valve on fuel system that maybe bad?

4.3LXJ
07-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Raja, glad things are getting better. The gas tank is not supposed to have pressure. It is vented up to the engine. Gas caps only have to hold one PSI to be considered good. The only valve involved in the fuel pressure is the regulator valve on the fuel rail where the return line is. The only way to check that is with the fuel pressure gauge.

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
thanks 4.3LXJ

so, i guess my fuelpump is bad. i changed it about year ago with non original one.

with the conditions of my xj start to loose power when i opened the gas cap, it's possible that the fuelpump is the problem?

i plan of to install a permanent fuel pressure gauge on my xj, but if the problem can figured as bad fuelpump, i prefer to only buy a fuelpump to save $.. :D

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Raja, glad things are getting better. The gas tank is not supposed to have pressure. It is vented up to the engine. Gas caps only have to hold one PSI to be considered good. The only valve involved in the fuel pressure is the regulator valve on the fuel rail where the return line is. The only way to check that is with the fuel pressure gauge.
i forget to say thanks to you about what you said that o2 sensor is important. now, i share the info to my friends. they thanks to me, i beleive that they t\say thanks to you too. and offcourse for xjtalk :)

4.3LXJ
07-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Glad to help Raja

If possible, I would install that fuel gauge first. I always like to test things before throwing parts in. I think it is cheaper in the long run

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Glad to help Raja

If possible, I would install that fuel gauge first. I always like to test things before throwing parts in. I think it is cheaper in the long run
ok 4.3LXJ, thanks.

i see on ebay, it's more cheaper if i just buy the fuel pressure tester than permanent type one. hope will arrived soon, and test my xj fuel pressure.

i'll update soon when it's arrived.

i post here my extremely stock xj :D

4.3LXJ
07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
That is a very nice looking XJ Raja

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 10:37 AM
That is a very nice looking XJ Raja
thank you 4.3LXJ :D:thumbsup:

sr7376
07-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I hope you get everything taken care of, that is a really nice looking XJ.

r111rdody
07-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I hope you get everything taken care of, that is a really nice looking XJ.
yes sr7376, thank you. :)

still have to check fuel system & front/ rear brake. also, today, after driving, she's won't start. only starter selenoid click. but after 1-2 cycle of key, the engine start. i believe that i have starter problem. looking forward for that tomorrow.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Check the connection on the battery and clean it Raja

r111rdody
07-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Check the connection on the battery and clean it Raja
i already cleaned the connection on battery post and ground cable, 4.3LXJ.

she's good for about 3-4 days, but yesteday she's acting like still have problem with connection or maybe the starter. i'll check for that tomorrow, hope can find the problem. :)

Mudderoy
07-20-2014, 02:58 PM
updating my xj condition. *sorry for late updating

finnaly, i got my o2 sensor, and installing it. not many changes since i'm not resetting my ecu. but, week ago, i change my battery and install new battery clamp since my clamp seems bad. after that, my xj start better. the idle speed is better than before.

i testing it on the road, the engine has more power than before. and also has better fuel consumption now. very happy with the result. :)

but, there are still minor problems.

the engine has lack of power again after i fill the fuel (after i open the gas cap). engine start to loose power, high rpm with no power.
i don't check the fuel pressure yet, because i don't have the pressure gauge.

when i open the gas cap, it's don't have pressure. is it normal? i believe that it's have to pressure inside the tank. i try to add rubber on my gas cap, but still don't have pressure.

is my fuel pump is bad, or there are valve on fuel system that maybe bad?

A clogged exhaust system can cause loss of power at higher RPMs. How high depends on how bad the clog is. Most of the time it's the catalytic converter, but any clog/restriction can cause the problem.

r111rdody
07-20-2014, 03:23 PM
A clogged exhaust system can cause loss of power at higher RPMs. How high depends on how bad the clog is. Most of the time it's the catalytic converter, but any clog/restriction can cause the problem.
i don't that clogged exhaust is the problem. i has checked the exhaust (2 exhaust, coz my xj don't have catalytic converter) by cutting and see inside, there are no clogged. but i don't check the exhaust header yet.

what makes me confused is the lack of power shows sometimes, not all the time.
after filling fuel on gas station (open the gas cap), the lack of power shows. or after run in rough road / light offroading (slow speed for long time), and then to the highway, lack of power shows again.. :indifferent0020: :D

r111rdody
07-21-2014, 05:58 AM
today, i'm driving my xj. run good at first drive from home, but after full stop (parking) and start to run again, the power drop. when decelerate, seems that the brake binding. after run and stop few times, i check the front discbrake and touch with my finger, the disc was hot! i think lack of power causing by binding brake also.

maybe, not using for a long time causing that? :confused:
that adding to list of my xj problem.

Mudderoy
07-21-2014, 06:55 AM
today, i'm driving my xj. run good at first drive from home, but after full stop (parking) and start to run again, the power drop. when decelerate, seems that the brake binding. after run and stop few times, i check the front discbrake and touch with my finger, the disc was hot! i think lack of power causing by binding brake also.

maybe, not using for a long time causing that? :confused:
that adding to list of my xj problem.

Is one hotter than the other? Around here calipers are $20 each.

r111rdody
07-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Is one hotter than the other? Around here calipers are $20 each.
two of them. and my rear right drum brake also hot.
i read on other thread that worn caliper can causing that. or maybe there are other?

4.3LXJ
07-21-2014, 09:43 AM
If the rear drums are hot, that is a sign you may need new brake cylinders. If they don't release, the brakes will stay on partially

r111rdody
07-21-2014, 12:56 PM
If the rear drums are hot, that is a sign you may need new brake cylinders. If they don't release, the brakes will stay on partially
Thank you 4.3LXJ, i'll chek the brake cylinders when check all my xj brakes.

slvmart
07-22-2014, 04:45 AM
The "Hot" drum brake could also be due to hardware problems (the springs and adjuster, etc.) on that side. (Over adjustment of the brake so it is constantly riding on the drum) In the US you can pick up kits, for both sides, for around $20.

r111rdody
07-22-2014, 04:56 AM
The "Hot" drum brake could also be due to hardware problems (the springs and adjuster, etc.) on that side. (Over adjustment of the brake so it is constantly riding on the drum) In the US you can pick up kits, for both sides, for around $20.
thanks slvmart.

do you have a link/ pics of the kits?

slvmart
07-23-2014, 05:08 AM
Sure Raja, here you are :
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56210_02.htm

r111rdody
07-23-2014, 07:02 AM
Sure Raja, here you are :
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56210_02.htm
thank you slvmart.

i'll find info on of Drum Brake Small Parts Kit on my local part store.