PDA

View Full Version : Did my Jeep have high-speed internet???

TimmyTXJ
10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Found something exceedingly wierd the other day. I was taking the floormats out to clean them and noticed a rather large bump under the passender side carpet.

Being the intrepid new Jeep owner that I am, I folded back the carpet and pulled this out.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q776/TimmyTXJ/2012-10-27_11-38-13_512_zpsf496511b.jpg

Near as I can tell it's a CAT5 type cable with a couple of headphone jacks spliced to it. I pulled about 4 ft of coiled up cable out before it resisted. There's an ground attached to the floorpan. I couldn't trace it to any apparent factory item so I went ahead and cut that mess out.

I'm stymied... does anyone have ANY idea what the heck this could have been for?

prerunner1982
10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
My guess would be cell phone/car phone as my wife's S10 Blazer had a similar set up.

NW99XJ
10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
That would be correct, each 1/8" phono plug went to an aux speaker, and a microphone respectively. The mic would usually be mounted on the A pillar, or above the rear view mirror, and the speaker under or just on the lower edge of the dash. The Coax was obviously for the antenna.
Back in the day I had installed hundreds of these "hands free" systems..... I think I even have a new one in the box still somewhere for an old Nokia brick phone.

TimmyTXJ
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
That makes a lot of sense. "Car phone" never entered my mind... I mean, according to all the 80's and 90's movies I've watched, those only get installed in 500sel convertibles. :)
Thanks for clearing up my confusion guys.