PDA

View Full Version : Ford 8 inch???

jschmidt250
10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I found a D30 and a Ford 8 inch (not an 8.8) with 4.56 gears on craigslist. They are coming off of another XJ. The 8 inch is trussed.

Is this something worth considering to swap for my 8.25 27 spline?

Thanks for the input

xjmarc
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
The 8" is the little sister to the 9" and has a decent bit of aftermarket support. The shafts are 28 spline and factory ones neck down a good bit and aren't known to be all that strong. With aftermarket shafts and a good truss I'd feel comfortable running 35s but not much more. Also it like the 8.8, never came in stock XJ width so it's most likely going to be a tad narrow.

jschmidt250
10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
The 8" is the little sister to the 9" and has a decent bit of aftermarket support. The shafts are 28 spline and factory ones neck down a good bit and aren't known to be all that strong. With aftermarket shafts and a good truss I'd feel comfortable running 35s but not much more. Also it like the 8.8, never came in stock XJ width so it's most likely going to be a tad narrow.

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention both the D30 and the 8" have Detroit lockers along with the 4.56 gears.

As far as tire size, I'm running 32's and have no intention of going bigger. The pics I saw the spring mounts are close to the brake back plates.

I just want to make sure I'm not going backwards if I go ahead with it.

xjmarc
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry I'm just now getting back to this, been on vacation with no internet.
Find out what the D30 came out of, older versions have smaller u-joints.
Also ask what the width is on the 8" and if it's running stock shafts. Stock would work for 32s but not much more.