PDA

View Full Version : 1996 XJ Front and Rear Brakes

GMan
10-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Would like some advice on complete brake rebuild. First, aside from OEM, what are the best manufacturer choices for brake after market products? Rotors, Drums, cylinders, calipers. Second, I can not find a stamp that identifies exactly which axels are on my cherokee. Thanks for your help. GMan.

nickxj94
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I use Autozone duralast gold for brake pads and just bought there mid priced rotors mine has 4 wheel disc now.

denverd1
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
yea go discs all around if ya can. I think v8 GC have bigger rotors up front so if you are or are planning to run big tires you may look at that. I found a noticeable change in braking going up to 33s.

LizardRunner
10-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Front axle will be a Dana 30, rear axle will be either a Dana 35 or a chrylser 8.25 ( look at the stickied thread in OEM/Factory heading) for how to visually tell which you have. For brake parts You can have two ways to look at "best". The first way is going to be a bigger expense (top of the line) then there is the "best" that means best bang for your bucks (my favorite). So, the first way would be to go Brembo or Wilwood. The second and the way I went, was for EBC parts from O'Reilly on my XJ for the disc brakes and Wagner for the drums

GMan
10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I like your definition of best! Thats what I will do, EBC and Wagner. Thank you.

What is the "stickied thread in oem/factory heading"? splain please. GMan

TimmyTXJ
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I like your definition of best! Thats what I will do, EBC and Wagner. Thank you.

What is the "stickied thread in oem/factory heading"? splain please. GMan

The stickied thread is here:
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6280

Visually, the Dana 35 is round. The chrysler has "ears" that make the flange look flat at the bottom.

XJ Wheeler
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I haven't been able to drive on them much so i can't advise for/against their performance. I installed EBC Sport slotted and dimpled rotors along with their yellow stuff pads. I can attest to their quality, other than the powder coating on the pads they seem great. They do have quite a bit of grab during the first few miles to remove the factory coating.