PDA

View Full Version : Push button start

Tristan89xj
10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to instal a push button start and I need to know the best place to get the wire in the cab of the jeep

4.3LXJ
10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
The best place for that is your hot to the ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column. If you don't mind my asking, why are you doing this?

Tristan89xj
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Well a little while ago the relay next to the battery for the starter trigger went bad so if been pretty much hot wiring my jeep for a while and I figured that I trout the push button s tart was cool anyway so why not

4.3LXJ
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I see. The purpose of that relay is to keep from pulling too much current through the dash wiring. You might want to listen to Jeep Tips from the pod cast #51. To do what you want to do, you should use a source directly from the battery. The starter solenoid pulls quite a bit of current and you will need more than a normal push button switch to start it. I haven't checked the current draw from the starter relay to the starter, but it is considerable and more than the usual 10 amps switches are rated for. I would suggest replacing that relay, much easier. But if you are set on a push button start, then get the power directly from the battery

Tristan89xj
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Ok thank you how much is that relay?

4.3LXJ
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Not sure. Check NAPA and see. They are very reliable and can be had cheap at wrecking yards

NW99XJ
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
This is how I would do this..... Find the button you want to use... doesnt really matter here, its just going to be used for a trigger source, but it will need to be a momentary switch. A standard relay could be used in line to trigger a universal starter solenoid, to then trigger the vehicles starter solenoid... so basically the switch would trigger the relay, the current passed thru the relay will be more than adequate to trigger a starter solenoid, which is obviously big enough to handle the amperage draw of the actual starter/starter solenoid on the vehicle.

For the switch to the relay wiring use 16 awg wire, that will be good enough, for the relay to solenoid wiring use 12 gauge wire, and for the solenoid to solenoid connection I would highly recommend no less than 8 awg wire.

Power for the relay can come from your ignition switch and I would use the 12 awg wire for this.....Same for the connection from the relay to the solenoid...... but power for the solenoid SHOULD come directly from its own fused circuit directly from the battery. I would also highly suggest you use a circuit breaker to fuse this circuit, rather than a "one-and-done" fuse... this way, if something were to happen, you aren't left stranded or have to resort to hot wiring your jeep again just to make it home.

If you want help with wiring diagrams for this PM me and let me know, and I'll see if I cant draw something up here to share with you and others who want to do this sort of thing.

NW99XJ
10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Here..... Figured I'd whip something up real quick for reference:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h328/jbchill1/pushbtnstrt.png

Tristan89xj
10-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Awesome thanks that helps me a lot. Ill make sure to take some pix and put them up.