PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side rear end grinding.

docshep
10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
ok guys. my jeep has been making a grinding noise in the rear end. acceleration worsens it. when i let off the noise goes away almost completely. but, if i let off and turn right (placing extra load on left side) then the noise comes back, and if i am accelerating and turning right then the grinding gets pretty loud. , noise starts at about 45mph; before then barely noticeable. I am thinking wheel bearing or hub. But could possibly be a u- joint or something wrong with the diff.
my jeep has the dana 35. also could it be something wrong with the brakes? the brakes are worn out; getting ready to replace them. Thanks everyone.

bigjim350
10-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Since its happening under acceleration I would suspect something in the diff. Like a bad pinon bearing or worn/broken teeth on the gear set

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

docshep
10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
ok, and also would like to add that when shifted into neutral the sound diminishes almost all the way. I am already thinking about replacing the rear axle with a dana 44 off of another xj. this is going to be my toy. :)

4.3LXJ
10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think your gears are shot too. The D44 is a great idea and this is a good excuse to pull the trigger on that.

docshep
10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
ok, thanks for all of the info/opinions. i found a used 44, guy is saying that 1 outer axle seal is leaking. i know that i won't be able to do that myself because i don't have a 5-6 ton press. what would an auto shop or machine shop charge for a rebuild? thanks again. he's asking 250 bucks for the entire axle assembly; including drums and brake assemblies. looks to be in good shape (just from outside) Says it has 120,000 miles on it. any opinions are welcomed. i just want my jeep ready for moab when i get out of the army :) lockers are the next on the just empty every pocket checklist. :)

4.3LXJ
10-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Here is how to do it. This was a D35, but the Dana stuff is basically all the same

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7256