PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from the Utah and Colorado area?

Dredwolf
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Looking for opinions and tips, thinking about the trip during the summer.
Both previous trips to Az and Utah have been in late July/early August and we were fine with the temps, the lack of humidity is a nice change, and even Phoenix could not match some of the places I have been overseas.

My wife and I are trying to advance plan another trip to Moab, but this time, we want to drive out and see more of the USA. We have flown on our other trips (into Phoenix and into a rental :D), but this time, we really want to drive, I will have the vacation time, and a good part of the expenses is already set aside.

We know what we want to hit in Moab for this 2nd trip, but we will be passing through Colorado. The dream is to take my XJ, the reality will probably be her Explorer, and the lottery would be a quad cab 1 ton diesel towing the XJ on a nice 7K rated trailer with electric disc brakes, and a nice slide-in camper in the back.:pray:

On our way to Utah, what are the "can't miss" towns? Ouray, Telluride? The wife loves photography, I know that I could easily spend weeks in each, but I do have to get back to paying the bills at some point.:rolleye0012:

Thanks for any input, maybe this will work out and my wife and I can meet some other XJTalk members on our trip.

Dredwolf
10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
So guess all the 4 Corners XJ folks are either over at NAXJA, CF or the ARRRRRG forum?

:(

XJ Wheeler
10-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Okay, i'm here, i'm here.

Spent a lot of time in Colorado throughout my childhood/early adulthood. I'll give you some ideas and impressions.

Ouray! You will never regret making this drive and going to the wonderful little town of Ouray. There's this great little burger shack along the main drag, or at least there was when i was there. Be sure to head in to one of the stores and pick up a t-shirt, they usually have an endless amount of jeep related shirts. It is one of my top towns in the country i'd like to live one day.

Pikes Peak! The area I've spent the most time in. A must do is making the drive to the top of the "Peak". If you time it right you can be there for the PPIHC (Pikes Peak International Hill Climb), its usually in early August. A great town to stay in by there is Woodland Park, not real small but has the feeling and much better than staying in the city (Colorado Springs). The area does have many other attractions for vacationers as well. Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, and just about an hour away is Cripple Creek. The Creek is an old mining town that has a bit of a gambling problem.

Rocky Mountain National Park! If you're in to hiking and such this offer great trails. Beautiful views to boot.

Aspen! Other than just being famously associated as a getaway area for the rich it has some amazing views. Since you said your wife is into photography she would probably recognize Maroon Bells, one of the most photographed mountains and breathtaking in person.

Breckenridge! An amazing town filled with gorgeous views. If its still there give Bubba Gumps restaurant a try. And yes, its name does come from the Forrest Gump movie.

Avoid most of eastern Colorado. Hot, flat, and ugly.

I'll give it some more thought and see if i can come up some more but its been a few years since we've been exploring Colorado. Must be time for a trip.

Dredwolf
10-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info! We are trying to decide if we want to detour to Telluride or Ouray, or both....or hit one on the way to Moab and the other on the way back. Of course, the closer we get to next summer, that may change.

Before I went to Moab in 2011, I hit the forums and asked questions to avoid the regular tourist mistakes, and studied the maps and satellite images so much I did not need the GPS unless I was trying to verify coordinates or that what I thought was north really was. It really helped during the drive from Flagstaff to Moab, and made hugely efficient use of our too few days in Utah.

I already bought the Charles Wells book for the area, and we could easily spend our entire trip in Colorado, but that will have to be a separate trip. Just trying to be well informed and efficient, the last thing any of these great areas needs is another tourist being stupid and unprepared, and becoming a statistic and a news story.

bad luck
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Yes, your correct on being prepared. I have heard that Grand County is starting to charge people for rescues. And it can get very expensive. Also if you break down on a trail and need to be towed out it runs to $150 an hour. I do live in Moab, but you seem to know all about the trails here, and I don't know much about the Colorado trails. I hope you have a great trip out this way.

Dredwolf
10-31-2012, 06:07 AM
The area is simply awesome, to say the least. I'll keep updating on the forum, it would be great to meet some forum members on our trip out west, and run some trails together.

I have a long, long way to go to really know all about the trails in Moab, but the few that I did get to do was addicting, to say the least. I would love to spend a month or two there.

On our last day on Moab, we drove on Williow Springs trail in the airport rental WK to see the dinosaur tracks, and there was a intriguing trail that went off to the NW. In Charles Well's book, its states the conditions are unknown. Is that still true?

My wife and I end up making lists on these trips, with "must do" sights and trails, and "want to do" things also. We sat at that trail junction staring at it for several long minutes before continuing on to the paved road in Arches National park.

bad luck
10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
I think you must be talking about the Tower Arch trail, I did this a long time ago, and it is a lot of fun. It can only be run from north to south though. My wife works in Arches N.P. so I asked her if it was still open and she said it is. Just yesterday somebody tried running it in a minivan, and of course they got stuck. Let me know when you arrive, and we can go run a couple trails if your interested. Bob

Dredwolf
11-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I think you must be talking about the Tower Arch trail, I did this a long time ago, and it is a lot of fun. It can only be run from north to south though. My wife works in Arches N.P. so I asked her if it was still open and she said it is. Just yesterday somebody tried running it in a minivan, and of course they got stuck. Let me know when you arrive, and we can go run a couple trails if your interested. Bob

That is great info! And I would love to take you up on the offer. We ARE going, one way or another. I can't talk the wife into a trip during one of the Safari events, she feels it would be too crowded, but a small group would be awesome.
We were solo a lot of the last trip, and I was being extra-extra cautious (except for my SOLO solo Hell's Revenge run :crazy:), it would be nice to go in a group.

Dredwolf
12-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Anybody have suggestions on where to stay? We stayed at the Bowen motel last time.

bad luck
12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I haven't stayed in a motel in Moab for a very long time. But my wife works in the visitor center in town and at Arches N.P. she hears good things about the Big Horn Lodge, and Red Rock lodge. I guess you know that the rates are much more economical this time of year, than during the high season. If you need more info let me know.

prerunner1982
12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
If you are up for it I would suggest Black Bear Pass into Telluride and then take Imogene Pass back to Ouray. I suggest taking Black Bear into Telluride because it is a one way only trail.

For non Jeep stuff I would suggest stopping at Mesa Verde if you have not been before.

What route will you be taking to get to CO/UT? I would imagine I-40 but wanted to confirm so that I may make a few other suggestions.

Dredwolf
12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I-40 was one option, we are "generally heading west" to end up in Moab...eventually.:D

Maybe I-40 to I-70?...we are trying to decide the "heading out" route, and the "heading home" route.

Black Bear and Imogene Pass would be great to do, we would love to mark some things off the "Bucket List".

COSXJFAN
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Honestly, you can't go wrong around the Ouray area. I have spent the last couple of years worth of Labor Day weekends exploring that area! Black Bear is the only major trail that I haven't been on in that area. Poughkipsee Gulch is tough, and not for a stock rig at all, and if it is raining SKIP IT! A winch is a MUST, lockers, lift, good tires, and everything else just makes life easier, obviously! LOL! Most of the trails in that area are stocker level, and the Explorer would have no problems. There is also a lot of traffic, so if you get into trouble, you're not very isolated. I would be glad to help, if you have questions about wheeling that part of CO...as for UT, I haven't made it yet....but I'm gonna!! LOL!!

prerunner1982
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
If you decide to take I-40.... and end up passing through Ark, Ok, and Tx, there are a few places of interest you may (or may not) be interested in visiting.

In western Arkansas, near Russellville there is Lake Dardenelle. There is a Nuclear power plant next to the lake. Many years ago when I had a brochure for the lake I believe it said there were 200lbs catfish and 100lbs Alligator gar in the lake. Being right on I-40 it may make a neat photo op. Always reminds me of the cartoon The Simpsons with power plant on the lake/river and the 3 eyed fish.

Did you know that Oklahoma has the most driveable sections of Route 66? If this interests you then you may consider heading north from I-40 just west of Okemah on hwy 48 into Bristow. From there you can head West on Route 66 going through some neat little towns eventually you will end up around Arcadia, Ok. Just east of Arcadia there is an old gas station or what is left of a gas station that has a neat history. It's on the north side of the road and if you aren't watching you will fly right by it. In Arcadia there is the Round Barn (http://arcadiaroundbarn.com/Round_Barn_Website/HOME.html) and just west of Arcadia there is Pops (http://www.pops66.com/) Arcadia Lake is just a bit farther West and though it would be a good place to stay the night (camp) the time of year you will be through would be hot and humid, so a hotel in town (Edmond, OKC) would be better depending on what time you arrive in the area and how far you are going for the day.

Western Oklahoma is pretty flat and boring. You will see a Wind Generator Farm or two, and maybe even a couple Route 66 Museums. However, in NW Oklahoma we have Little Sahara State Park (http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.4581) Heading North from Clinton to Little Sahara State Park (Waynoka, OK) is approx 1.5hrs.

In Texas, east of Amarillo you will see the Giant Cross and the Leaning Water tower in Groom Texas. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom,_Texas). West of Amarillo is the Cadillac Ranch (Cadillac Ranch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Though I have driven I-40 west many time I don't recall seeing much to stop at in NM. If you take this route I would suggest heading North to Santa Fe on Hwy 285 from Clines Corners. From Santa Fe you can head on to Pagosa Springs, CO via hwy 84/64 up through Chama, NM. It is a nice scenic drive. From Pagosa you can get to Durango via hwy 160.

From Durango you head straight up hwy 550 (The Million Dollar Highway) to access Black Bear to Telluride. If you keep heading up Hwy 550 you will get to Ouray.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dredwolf
12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Wow, that is great info. We did as much of Route 66 as we could in Arizona, it would be cool to do more.

Dredwolf
01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
So we have been trying to catch some You Tube videos of Black Bear, trying to get an good idea of how "bad" it actually is, and if the '03 Explorer can do it with 265/75R16's.

I found one where someone took a Subaru Forester on Black Bear, he scrubbed a bit because of the front overhang, and what appeared to be a lack of low range.

prerunner1982
01-09-2013, 07:08 AM
There's one section where you will almost definitely drag a bit. It is commonly called the stair steps and is just before you cross an old mine and start the switchbacks (what Black Bear is known for).

In this video the stair steps are at about 1:30.
http://youtu.be/dmd6CTYgwC0

heres another good video.
http://youtu.be/yTT9qy-qFnY

KH96XJ
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Depending on how much time you have the Great Sand Dunes national park in Colorado is a place I like. Tallest sand dunes in the U.S.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/KH01GTP/2011-07-27134438_zps4f092eaa.jpg

There is also a short hiking trail a couple miles from the dunes for Zapata falls. Leads up to a 25' water fall.

4.3LXJ
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Is that the pink cloud sand dunes?

Dredwolf
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Bumping this thread as the wife is ready to lock down some travel plans for this summer, she is past ready for a vacation.

How feasible would it be to operate from the Moab area and have time for for decent trips into Colorado? Looking at a two-week trip.

I know people have driven from the Southeast to Moab and wheeled, I'd like to think the wife and I can too, with proper planning and vehicle prep.

We are still being optimistic on a tow vehicle option.

bad luck
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
From Moab to Telluride is about 2.5 hours and if your coming in the warm weather you may prefer to spend more time up there. I haven't done any trails up there yet, but am looking forward to going some time. Also if you want to do some sightseeing, Mesa Verde N.P. near Cortez in pretty interesting. Let me know when your going to be here and If I'm home we can try to get together and do a couple trails. The La Sal's are quite a bit cooler also and there are a few trails up there.

TripleZero
04-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Swing into Grand Junction if you have time. Could take you out and hit a few trails around here if you do bring the XJ. Billings Canyon, Bangs Canyon, and 21 Rd are pretty popular. Can check out the Colorado National Monument too, or even take a little trip up onto the Grand Mesa. It's only about 110 miles from this area out to Moab also.

Dredwolf
04-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Trying to plan for motels during the trip...the additional fees and taxes add up quick.:mad:

Wish my pop-up was in better shape....:P

XJ Wheeler
04-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Trying to plan for motels during the trip...the additional fees and taxes add up quick.:mad:

Wish my pop-up was in better shape....:P

For the amount of money you're gonna spend on two weeks of motels you might could buy something, and sell it after you get back. Just a thought.

Dredwolf
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
For the amount of money you're gonna spend on two weeks of motels you might could buy something, and sell it after you get back. Just a thought.

Good thought! Will look into that....its just the wife and I on this trip.

TimmyTXJ
04-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Good thought! Will look into that....its just the wife and I on this trip.

Colorado... in the late spring early summer? Man... I'm super jealous! This thread has inspired me to start searching the web for trails around Ouray. Please take lots of photos on your trip so I can live vicariously!:pray:

TripleZero
04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Check out this site: http://www.traildamage.com/

This should give you a good list of trails in CO. I am not sure how up to date it is as their have been some trail closures, but still gives you a good idea.

Dredwolf
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Check out this site: http://www.traildamage.com/

This should give you a good list of trails in CO. I am not sure how up to date it is as their have been some trail closures, but still gives you a good idea.

Thanks for the link!

And I can't say enough good things about the FunTreks books. We used the Arizona and Utah books with much success, and saved money by using a capable SUV on the easy and moderate trails, saving the expense of a well-equipped rental rig for the difficult trails.

Dredwolf
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, since the calendar has rolled into May, and the hotel rooms are already reserved, I am having to look at priorities. At this point, it will take a miracle to get XJ ready, too much "life/sh*t happens" for me to feel confident that I can have it ready in time. Plus, the opportunities for a tow vehicle and trailer have faded.
With 2.5 months to go before we leave, I am left to consider what my wife's 2003 Explorer will need to at least get us there and back and handle the easy/moderate trails. I was dreaming of taking the XJ, but maybe taking one vehicle and not towing will leave enough to have seed money for the next trip

prerunner1982
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
What is the exact date of your trip? There are some members from the local Jeep group I m part of that will be in the San Juan Mountain around Ouray/Telluride July 28th - Aug 2nd.

Dredwolf
05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
What is the exact date of your trip? There are some members from the local Jeep group I m part of that will be in the San Juan Mountain around Ouray/Telluride July 28th - Aug 2nd.

We are figuring we'll be in Colorado the 1st time on the 21st, will be in Moab for a few days, and were going to try and make time to be in the Ouray/Telluride region before pointing the radiator towards South Carolina again on August 1st.

prerunner1982
05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Right on, If you see any rigs with stickers that say Red Dirt Jeeps or have Oklahoma plates give them a big Jeep wave. If you need anything I am sure they would help, just tell them you are really a Jeeper. :)

Dredwolf
05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
I could get an :xjtalk: decal for the Explorer...

Honestly now thinking about locating some factory skid plates for the gas tank and transfer case, and new shoes http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/rugged-terrain-t-a-tires for the Explorer for the trip.

And removing the OEM "running boards"....

Dredwolf
06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Talk about too much to do....with the Colorado/Utah trip coming soon, its crunch time on the vehicle work, in the hopes of having one of the vehicles ready enough in time. As I get parts, I am working on the XJ as weather permits, that is Plan A. Plan B is to take the wife's 2003 Explorer, and run the milder trails.

So for Plan B, I have ordered the factory fuel tank skid, and am considering the 1.5" body lift to clear the Cooper Discoverer AT3 255/70-16's better, plus a full service/fluid change/brake job, etc.

I am hoping this will let me traverse Imogene Pass at least, still trying to get an idea of the difficulty of Black Bear.

prerunner1982
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Black Bear isn't "difficult" per say. One area you might drag the rear a bit. It is really just pucker factor and doing 5 point turns at each switch back coming down into Telluride. I wouldn't any problem taking my stockish XJ with 30" tires on Black Bear.

Dredwolf
06-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Black Bear isn't "difficult" per say. One area you might drag the rear a bit. It is really just pucker factor and doing 5 point turns at each switch bar coming down into Telluride. I wouldn't any problem taking my stockish XJ with 30" tires on Black Bear.

The "Stair steps" section is the only one I am concerned about, and its not the HUGE FRICKING DROPOFF ;) that concerns me, its the clearance with the rear passenger body panels on the Explorer in the tippy spot....the wife can spot, and I am pulling the factory "running boards" to gain a little more clearance.

Dredwolf
06-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Well, all that's left to order for the Explorer is tires for the trip. So this afternoon starts the "the race" to see which vehicle is ready in time for us to leave on July 19th and head west.

I wish it was my XJ, but a trip in the Explorer is better than no trip. I will be working on the XJ this afternoon after work, so we'll see.:rolleyes:

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2013, 02:01 PM
The XJ would fit right in. Seen several modded ones just in the two days I've been here.

Dredwolf
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
The XJ would fit right in. Seen several modded ones just in the two days I've been here.

No kidding, if it was not for family and kids, we would relocate as soon as I could find work. There is a lifetime of exploring in that region.

XJ Wheeler
06-28-2013, 12:26 AM
No kidding, if it was not for family and kids, we would relocate as soon as I could find work. There is a lifetime of exploring in that region.

For sure. You can just pick a direction and you will always find something cool.

Dredwolf
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
For sure. You can just pick a direction and you will always find something cool.

No kidding, we will be checking out some easier trails we missed in Moab the last time "wonder what's that way?"

XJ Wheeler
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
No kidding, we will be checking out some easier trails we missed in Moab the last time "wonder what's that way?"

That'll be some fun exploring! Moabs been on my list of places to go, and probably top on my list to wheel for a long time.

Dredwolf
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
That'll be some fun exploring! Moabs been on my list of places to go, and probably top on my list to wheel for a long time.

I can't say it enough for anyone who has not been to Moab. Go...plan for two years, budget, save, whatever. Go at least once, if there is a place in off-roading worthy of a "pilgrimage", its Moab.

I'll quote Charles Wells from FunTreks http://www.funtreks.com/..."you can get the general idea, but the fact remains, the only way to fully appreciate Moab is to see it with your own eyes and to experience it for yourself. Coming here changed my life, and I know it will significantly alter yours."

Being from the south, my wife grew up with the typical "muddin" type of off-roading, she had zero interest in the "trail riding" in the Appalachian foothills with trucks, CJ's, ATV's and dirt bikes that I grew up with. A single trip to Flagstaff and Sedona in 2010 changed all of that, the next trip that included Moab changed everything yet again.:pray:

It speaks volumes that she is letting me "tweak" her beloved 3rd Gen Explorer for this trip.:shocker: since the XJ preparation is so far behind.

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Yup, I am convinced women like rocks better than mud

XJ Wheeler
07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
I can't say it enough for anyone who has not been to Moab. Go...plan for two years, budget, save, whatever. Go at least once, if there is a place in off-roading worthy of a "pilgrimage", its Moab.

I'll quote Charles Wells from FunTrekshttp://www.funtreks.com/..."you can get the general idea, but the fact remains, the only way to fully appreciate Moab is to see it with your own eyes and to experience it for yourself. Coming here changed my life, and I know it will significantly alter yours."

Being from the south, my wife grew up with the typical "muddin" type of off-roading, she had zero interest in the "trail riding" in the Appalachian foothills with trucks, CJ's, ATV's and dirt bikes that I grew up with. A single trip to Flagstaff and Sedona in 2010 changed all of that, the next trip that included Moab changed everything yet again.:pray:

It speaks volumes that she is letting me "tweak" her beloved 3rd Gen Explorer for this trip.:shocker: since the XJ preparation is so far behind.

I'm gonna have to... NO COMPROMISE. :D

Dredwolf
07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
If everyone can stand the non-XJ, non-Jeep pics, I'll post from the trip.

I'd like to find some local contacts for "emergencies" in the Moab and Telluride/Ourat/Silverton areas since we'll be solo, I am posting over in the Explorer forum also.

bad luck
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
When are you going to be in Moab? I may still be around when you arrive, give me a call at 435-220-0576. If I'm still in town then we can do some easy trails, or just use me as a contact like you mentioned. I look forward to meeting you. Bob

Dredwolf
07-02-2013, 03:13 PM
When are you going to be in Moab? I may still be around when you arrive, give me a call at 435-220-0576. If I'm still in town then we can do some easy trails, or just use me as a contact like you mentioned. I look forward to meeting you. Bob
We will be rolling into Moab at the latest on July 23rd, and will head back to SC on the 2nd, I believe.

bad luck
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm home right now, but I'm not sure I will be then. I am a trucker so I am on the road a lot. So just give me a call.

Dredwolf
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks Bob, I understand completely. With some luck, we'll get to do some of the easy trails, this Explorer is not my XJ, no matter what I do with it.

But it does have rear A/C :D

bad luck
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
There are plenty of easy trails that are really fun and scenic, so I wouldn't fret too much about not having your xj.

Dredwolf
07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
There are plenty of easy trails that are really fun and scenic, so I wouldn't fret too much about not having your xj.

We have Charles Wells books for Arizona, Utah, and Colorado, and are trying to build "must do", "should do" and "if we have time" trail lists, even with the Explorer, for Moab and Colorado (if we have time).

The Cooper Discoverer AT3's are impressive for an AT, we'll see how they do.

http://i.minus.com/iYl0EqXEfnHPh.jpg

Dredwolf
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Guess I should have clarified that yes, we have the three books, but we are only looking at Moab and Colorado around the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area... Mapquest and Google agree its less than 4 hours between Moab and the region, would be nice to add Imogene and Engineer to decals collected

bad luck
07-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Peter Massey has a very good series of books on the trails in Utah, Colorado, and Arizona, and California, maybe more I'm not sure. They don't list trails that are too difficult. I think a stock vehicle can negotiate all the trails in his books. But I have his Utah and Colorado books at home, and I really like them. He also lists gps coordinates. Look online and check them out. I'm sure you'll like them, and he has a lot of trails that are not in Charles Wells books.

Mudderoy
07-05-2013, 11:53 PM
If everyone can stand the non-XJ, non-Jeep pics, I'll post from the trip.

I'd like to find some local contacts for "emergencies" in the Moab and Telluride/Ourat/Silverton areas since we'll be solo, I am posting over in the Explorer forum also.

Off road pics are great. I've had a full size Chevy truck 4x4, two XJ's and a TJ, so I'm pretty open. :D :popcorn:

Dredwolf
07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
We will be taking plenty...managed to finish the 1.5" body lift on the Explorer today....worst part was getting everything apart, but the blocks in was easy.

Carves
07-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Lotsa pics please ......

Just dont blot out the scenery with close ups of that Exploder ... coz I can look at 4WD Ford 6cyl station wagons, most any ol time .... but not Moab .. ;) :D :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/100_337101a_zps21c8f34a.jpg

bad luck
07-07-2013, 04:11 AM
I really like to see your Aussie outback pics. That reminds me, I heard that Steve Irwins daughter is doing what her dad did. Is this true? Because you guys seem to have really dangerous critters, down under there. How about a real close up of a 20 ft long croc do you think you could do that for us? Not really I wouldn't get within a half mile of those. Bob

Dredwolf
07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Lotsa pics please ......

Just dont blot out the scenery with close ups of that Exploder ... coz I can look at 4WD Ford 6cyl station wagons, most any ol time .... but not Moab .. ;) :D :D

:P

Hey, it actually has a frame...and low range:rolleyes:....wish we had the bull bar options you guys do...

Mudderoy
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Lotsa pics please ......

I still can't believe they won't let you guys lift stuff. My God where you need a lift worse that most every where else in the World!

Dredwolf
07-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I still can't believe they won't let you guys lift stuff. My God where you need a lift worse that most every where else in the World!

:P

I can put a lift on the 4WD Ford Station Wagons we have here :smiley-laughing021:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/2003%20Explorer%20Modifications/IMG_3006_zps984775fb.jpg

I can even install a suspension lift after the body lift......:poke:

Wish we had the bumper options though :sad0147:

Carves
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM

We can lift stuff ... Have been able to for decades.

General rules were ...

Lifts of 1/3 the bumpstop travel ... no problems.

2" lifts regardless of original bumpstop measurements ... never drew any attention.

Lifts up to about 5" could be had - as long as it passed inspection by a vehicle engineer/inspector.

The current hoohaw about limiting lifts to 2" down here ... is just the govt - wasting taxpayers moneys by rehashing, already existing, rules - that they never policed properly ... to appease bicycle riding and mall cruiser minority groups ...

... all under the guise of "road safety" .. :rolleyes:

Dredwolf
07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Okay, we have started narrowing our list of trails to "try" in Moab. Now none of these are extreme, because we are taking the Explorer, not my XJ. So no Hells Revenge for me this trip :(, and we are going for scenery. Some of these are all day trips, others are 1/2 day, but we'll see how our time, energy, and vehicle hold up.

So we are starting with "must do" trails, then "want to do", then ending with "if we have time", because we do want to hit some trails in Colorado too.

Tower Arch Trail (via Willow Springs Rd, if that route is open)

Chicken Corners/Hurrah Pass

Gemini Bridges

Long Canyon (depending on rain, the last trip out, the steepest decent was washed out pretty good)

Mineral Point

Spring Canyon Bottom

Fisher Towers

Top of the World (may have to get a rental JK for this one)

More to follow....my Charles Wells Moab book is getting rather worn....

bad luck
07-10-2013, 01:37 AM
John, I have been on all of those trails and I think you have made some good choices. Does anyone in your family have a fear of heights? Because I have had some family members begin to go on a trail, then get nervous and turn around and go back to town. It is not wheeling, but you really should reserve in advance, a trip in Arches N.P. to the Fiery Furnace.

Everyone who does that ranger led tour is always very pleased with it. If you want I can ask my wife about reserving spots for you and your family. And the river level is dropping pretty fast, but it is fun to float down the daily section. Those take about half of a day each. We take out of town guests, down the Potash road, to the beginning of the White Rim trail, as far as Musselman Arch. Then turn around and go up Shafer trail, then take Long Canyon back down. I do like to do some canyoneering routes up in Arches. They are really scenic also, and it gets you out of the vehicle,

if you want I will post a few pics of them. I haven't done it but people also like Canyonlands by night. It is just a boat ride up and down the river while they shine spotlights on the canyon walls. I don't think you mentioned it, but I have always enjoyed Onion Creek, you cross the creek 50 times or so I think, very scenic also. And I also recommend doing the La Sal Mountain Loop. You can do it in either direction and it's really nice, and easy. You won't have time to do everything! After having lived here for almost 20 years, there is a lot I haven't seen yet.

Dredwolf
07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
John, I have been on all of those trails and I think you have made some good choices. Does anyone in your family have a fear of heights? Because I have had some family members begin to go on a trail, then get nervous and turn around and go back to town. It is not wheeling, but you really should reserve in advance, a trip in Arches N.P. to the Fiery Furnace. Everyone who does that ranger led tour is always very pleased with it. If you want I can ask my wife about reserving spots for you and your family. And the river level is dropping pretty fast, but it is fun to float down the daily section. Those take about half of a day each. We take out of town guests, down the Potash road, to the beginning of the White Rim trail, as far as Musselman Arch. Then turn around and go up Shafer trail, then take Long Canyon back down. I do like to do some canyoneering routes up in Arches. They are really scenic also, and it gets you out of the vehicle, if you want I will post a few pics of them. I haven't done it but people also like Canyonlands by night. It is just a boat ride up and down the river while they shine spotlights on the canyon walls. I don't think you mentioned it, but I have always enjoyed Onion Creek, you cross the creek 50 times or so I think, very scenic also. And I also recommend doing the La Sal Mountain Loop. You can do it in either direction and it's really nice, and easy. You won't have time to do everything! After having lived here for almost 20 years, there is a lot I haven't seen yet.

The wife gets a little nervous on the shelf roads if she is a passenger, and my suggestion of doing the shelf roads in reverse did not apparently help :rolleye0012:

She's actually a good driver in her own right, she drove most of the trails around Sedona and Flagstaff in her own rental the last trip to AZ ($$$, but worth the smiles per gallon) and needed very little spotting, and it is her Explorer, so she may be behind the wheel more this trip.

We'll add Onion Creek on the list. And if we don't get to do it all? Great reason to come back.

Last trip to Moab, we basically were only there 2.5 days (:sad0147:), and I managed to wheel Fins and Things, Hells Revenge (FULL SOLO!!!!:crazy:, everybody was exhausted except me, and I was going wheeling!), Long Canyon, Hurrah Pass, Gemini Bridges, Willow Springs Road, Castle Valley Overlook, and a side trip to Valley of the Gods down near Mexican Hat.

The commander in chief has informed me that we will not be engaging in any "wheeling or die" marathons, so we may be able to get two trails a day max. Chicken Corners will be a full day trip, of course.

I'll mention the other opportunities to the wife and daughter, even with the temps out there, its a break from the extreme humidity here. First time we were in Phoenix, they were amazed at how 105 "felt" in the shade.

bad luck
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
When you go to Chicken Corners be sure to bring some flashlights. There are a bunch of piled up boulders on the left side of the trail that are fun to explore. With passages going all through them, but they are pretty dark. A few years ago somebody was renting camels out there, but I guess there wasn't enough business and they don't do it anymore.

Dredwolf
07-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Just a few more days....

Last things to do will be changing oil, new wipers, new bulbs, check fluids, and loading the gear.

Here's hoping we don't appear in any local news stories.

bad luck
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
The wife gets a little nervous on the shelf roads if she is a passenger, and my suggestion of doing the shelf roads in reverse did not apparently help :rolleye0012:

She's actually a good driver in her own right, she drove most of the trails around Sedona and Flagstaff in her own rental the last trip to AZ ($$$, but worth the smiles per gallon) and needed very little spotting, and it is her Explorer, so she may be behind the wheel more this trip.

We'll add Onion Creek on the list. And if we don't get to do it all? Great reason to come back.

Last trip to Moab, we basically were only there 2.5 days (:sad0147:), and I managed to wheel Fins and Things, Hells Revenge (FULL SOLO!!!!:crazy:, everybody was exhausted except me, and I was going wheeling!), Long Canyon, Hurrah Pass, Gemini Bridges, Willow Springs Road, Castle Valley Overlook, and a side trip to Valley of the Gods down near Mexican Hat.

The commander in chief has informed me that we will not be engaging in any "wheeling or die" marathons, so we may be able to get two trails a day max. Chicken Corners will be a full day trip, of course.

I'll mention the other opportunities to the wife and daughter, even with the temps out there, its a break from the extreme humidity here. First time we were in Phoenix, they were amazed at how 105 "felt" in the shade.

I know your very busy getting ready for your trip. But if you get a chance when you return and have time, can you do a trip report about Sedona, the other place with red rocks. I have been there but never went on any trails. I haven't been on any around Flagstaff either, so please do that also. If you don't mind. Have a safe trip out this way, and I may still be here next week, if so, I would like to meet you. Bob

Dredwolf
07-19-2013, 12:09 AM
We actually got packed (finally) and got on the road.... Made it to Knoxville and had to stop, got a late start. LOTS of drama at home, and the first real vacation from work in two years made simply getting out of work a major fight.

But we are actually on the road and headed west!

Dredwolf
07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Metropolis IL

TimmyTXJ
07-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Metropolis IL

I always wondered what state Superman lived in. :)

Have a safe and awesome adventure! :bacondance:

4.3LXJ
07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Making good time

Dredwolf
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
150 miles from Kansas City, had to slow down in St Louis for wife to take pics of the Arch3042

bad luck
07-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Metropolis IL

I know exactly where Superman lives, I've been in Metropolis, Ill many times.

XJ Wheeler
07-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey, happy trails. Enjoy the trip!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Made it to Junction City, Kansas before wife and daughter were too tired to ride any further, so stoping to shower and sleep, found a decent motel 6 for a fair price.

Hammer down again in AM, glad I installed those Silverstars high and low beam in the "Ford Stationwagon" before we left. Had to replace a burned out taillight bulb just before we left Illinois, glad for spares and tools

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 11:20 AM
There are dirt roads out here, even the station wagon can handle

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Colorado!!!!

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Really impressed with the Cooper tires, 80mph speeds for hours, and they are barely warm to the touch.3056

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Made it to Montrose Colorado, our base of operations for two days. Ouray etc just too $, need to save $ for gas. Last leg of the trip was rough, getting 17.9 mpg in the Explorer though, with lift, tires, and cargo bag

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Last dollar road to telluride

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow......

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Talus slopes

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Last Dollar Road intersection with T60

Not your average station wagon....but I miss my XJ

bad luck
07-21-2013, 12:14 PM
It may not be as capable off road as your xj but it sure is taking you to some nice places.

4.3LXJ
07-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Yes, a nice back country trek. There are times I do the same thing in my Subaru :sign0181:

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
At bottom of Bridal veil, must be FJ week, thinking about giving Engineer a try

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
It may not be as capable off road as your xj but it sure is taking you to some nice places.

It's the Mrs Dredwolfmobile

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Imogene pass starting out

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Just after Tire Wash

4.3LXJ
07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Ah the miracle of modern electronics. Chronicling the back country.

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Almost to top

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Almost top of the world. Imogene pass

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Heading down to Ouray 3076

Dredwolf
07-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Ouray!!!!

Never would have believed I would ever be here.
Dad got me a subscription to Four Wheeler when I was 10

Made it Dad!!

XJ Wheeler
07-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Great place, isn't it? Ouray is one of my top favorites. One of the times i was there that place on the right had an 80s suburban with tracks for sale. :D Wanted $22K.

Carves
07-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Looks like your having a good trip .. :thumbsup:

Keep the pics coming .. :cool:

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Having a little trouble with tapatalk uploading the shots I am taking with its picture function, so regular pics are been taken too. i'll upload those one evening in Moab.

Hmmm, where to go today?

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Heading out of Ouray to Black Bear

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Well, had to cancel Black Bear... Took the wife and daughter on the first leg of the Red Mountain mining trail, but had to detour to Silverton for a restroom break.

Looking at the clouds moving in, and the clock, starting Black Bear in the afternoon in a rig I am still trying to learn the capabilities of is a bad idea

We'll try to get to some of the ghost towns instead, air up, and head to Moab

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Well, things are falling apart fast, we blew something in the Explorer in Cortez, Colorado

Anybody know anyone in the area?

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
What is wrong with it?

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I called Bob (Bad Luck) because I needed to borrow his Forum name.....

Looks like there is a Ford Dealer in Moab, maybe AAA will tow a few miles past 100 if we pay extra

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Oh, and Bob is officially awesome for offering informational assistance and something to reset the mental clarity so I can figure this mess out

XJ Wheeler
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
It ain't a proper road trip without some troubles. Hope ya get back on the road soon.

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Pulled the t stat housing, the lousy thing is plastic, it split at the molding seam.

Hope I can order one

Thanks to this forum, I met Bob, and all is not lost

Let someone else drive for awhile

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
And glad I bought that AAA membership before we left

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 09:43 PM
What is wrong with it?

Looks like the PLASTIC t stat housing separated when I put the hammer down to past a slow moving carnival truck and food trailer...

JB Weld might fix it enough, but the housing has little locating ears on it to center it on the block.... Those crumbed in my fingers like rotten wood

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Probably not even Chinese

Dredwolf
07-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, I am saving gas right now3098

XJ Wheeler
07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
That's a shame. Cheapin out speaks loads.

Dredwolf
07-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks to Bob and AAA, the Explorer and us are safely in Moab. We already had a room reserved, so we are good there, and Bob graciously allowed us to unload the Explorer at his house.

With luck, we'll get the part in a day or two and resume the vacation

XJ Wheeler
07-23-2013, 01:37 AM
You don't know this but what you're going through is exactly the kind of trip we always use to have when we would take the zj. EVERY time pretty much as soon as we got there the jeep went in the shop, usually preceded by some adventure to get there. :rolleyes:

Dredwolf
07-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Yeah, but I prefer to seek adventure on the trail and not this way....

Looks like the failure is fairly common, it's called a "lower thermostat housing", so I need the housing and the "square" for the block junction and maybe a coolant temp sensor...and change the oil for good measure

XJ Wheeler
07-23-2013, 02:54 AM
I agree, but makes for long lasting stories. :D Good luck bud

4.3LXJ
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Should have brought the XJ :D

Dredwolf
07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Should have brought the XJ :D

Yeah, wanted to but it's not to the Steve approved "wife can drive at 70 on the Interstate" yet

Dredwolf
07-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks to Bob and his XJ we did Chicken Corners today while waiting on parts for the Explorer, I'll post a trip a report

Dredwolf
07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, parts should be here by 8AM, and we'll start wrenching on it at Bob's ASAP.

A huge thanks to Bob for his hospitality and generosity in allowing our Explorer to rest at his house untold the parts arrive, and offering his carport to do the work.

I can't thank him enough, the trip today to Chicken Corners restored my wife and daughters belief that we were on vacation and not another trip from hell.....

Think I might finally start to relax...

4.3LXJ
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
That is really great and a testimony to our extended family

XJ Wheeler
07-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah, that's awesome! Shows what great camaraderie we can have for one another to offer so much to someone in need. Kudos Bob!

Dredwolf
07-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Tusher Tunnel

Explorer was fixed this AM with Bob's help, we are rolling again!

Dredwolf
07-24-2013, 04:44 PM

4.3LXJ
07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Nice cave :D

Dredwolf
07-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Long canyon... Mrs Dredwolf drove! And she did well, even conquering ledge that developed when the culvert apparently washed away from recent storms...

I coached her through it, the passenger rear tire would drift too far down and unload the driver front tire, but she figured it out on the 4th try and made it look effortless with zero tire spin compared to the rental JK that bashed through, slinging rocks and dirt everywhere after her third attempt.

I am very proud of her

Dredwolf
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
No idea why the picture posted twice

Dredwolf
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Food

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 12:41 AM
So the trail total so far...
Last Dollar Road
Imogene Pass
Red Mountain Mining District
Anamas Forks Ghost Town
Hurrah Pass (thanks to Bob and his XJ)
Chicken Corners (thanks to Bob and his XJ)
Bartlett Wash Road
Tusher Tunnel
Long Canyon Road

More to come

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Food

Got to point something out

The Branding Iron, while not a beef snob's top choice in town, cooks a dang decent ribeye, and you don't leave hungry

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Running Gemini Bridges this AM, then maybe Mineral Point,

Stopping at Dead Horse State park

4.3LXJ
07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Gotta hand it to you John, you have seen a lot of country with beautiful scenery

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM

And in the distance, a dirt road beckons.....

bad luck
07-25-2013, 02:34 PM

And in the distance, a dirt road beckons.....

That would be the White Rim Trail, most people take 2 days to drive that, but you need a permit to camp overnight and you likely can't get one.

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 08:07 PM
That would be the White Rim Trail, most people take 2 days to drive that, but you need a permit to camp overnight and you likely can't get one.

Maybe one day....

dajeepman
07-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I will be up in ouray this weekend and all next week with the lone star jeep club.. but i will be jeepless, now have a subaru outback. My goal is to try blackbear in it. I will try to get footage of it.. so if you see a gold outback with a lsjc round stick on the back glass thats me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 11:12 PM
I will be up in ouray this weekend and all next week with the lone star jeep club.. but i will be jeepless, now have a subaru outback. My goal is to try blackbear in it. I will try to get footage of it.. so if you see a gold outback with a lsjc round stick on the back glass thats me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Be careful with the weather, they are calling for rain every day. Good luck!

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Well, it took much of evening to remove a Rootkit virus that invaded my wife's Netbook, but it's fixed now so I can up load camera pics

Dredwolf
07-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Gotta hand it to you John, you have seen a lot of country with beautiful scenery

And I'll have to hand it to Bob, he met the rollback at the Utah/Colorado border so we could continue our journey to Moab, gave me space, tools and help to get the Explorer fixed, took me and my wife and daughter on one of trails we intended to do, and gave local info on trail conditions, etc.

We would not be enjoying ourselves today without Bob taking my call that night we broke down in Cortez

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Potash Road

TimmyTXJ
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Last Dollar Road
Imogene Pass
Anamas Forks Ghost Town
Bartlett Wash Road
Tusher Tunnel
Long Canyon Road

More to come

Some beautiful country John, and props to Bob for helping out! Which of those trails has been your favorite so far?

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Thelma and Louise point on Potash Road

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Baby Lions Back

In a Ford station wagon

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Some beautiful country John, and props to Bob for helping out! Which of those trails has been your favorite so far?

That's a hard one....the terrain is so different between Colorado and Utah, and I can't really hit any hard trails in the Explorer

I really enjoyed Hells Revenge when I was out here last time, but EVERYTHING out here is picturesque

4.3LXJ
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
There is a vid somewhere on YouTube of a car on Hells Revenge. Somebody local

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Baby Lions Back

In a Ford station wagon

From top of Baby Lions Back

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
There is a vid somewhere on YouTube of a car on Hells Revenge. Somebody local

That must be the Crown Vic video...the "slickrock" out here is like driving on sandpaper. I was temped to run the first part of Hells Revenge just for the pictures

use you head, pick a good line, keep your speed down and tires stick like glue...but it will test your nerve, nothing but blue sky in the windshield going up

:)

4.3LXJ
07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
There is a place out here they call slickrock too. It is anything but slick

Dredwolf
07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
As long as you can keep tires planted, traction is incredible here...

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/Moab%202013/IMG_3528_zps88d9f483.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/dredwolf1/media/Moab%202013/IMG_3528_zps88d9f483.jpg.html)

And they say a 3rd Gen Explorer can't wheel...

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/Moab%202013/IMG_3540_zps390d88ae.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/dredwolf1/media/Moab%202013/IMG_3540_zps390d88ae.jpg.html)

But bad things can happen...

From Gemini Bridges, a trail now rated as "Easy", from what I read, it was much harder before rock-grinding equipment smoothed it some. We did it in the Explorer, parked, wand walked across the bridges....we found a plaque marking a remembrance.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/Moab%202013/IMG_3341_zps8340e34c.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/dredwolf1/media/Moab%202013/IMG_3341_zps8340e34c.jpg.html)

Dredwolf
07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Today was Onion Creek road, Fisher Towers, and Willow Springs road into Arches National Park.

We counted 32 creek crossings (wheeeeeeee) on Onion Creek, got offered advice from a group from Red Rock Wheelers...

Willow Springs has gotten rougher in two years,

4.3LXJ
07-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Underside nice and clean now? :D

Dredwolf
07-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Underside nice and clean now? :D

Actually yes, the water from Onion creek is highly saline according to the info at the trail head, so the Explorer took a "trail rig bath" at the coin wash, where 2x was spent on the underside as was the shiny side :)

Dredwolf
07-27-2013, 10:19 PM
After an early dinner, we headed up Sand Flats road to the Castle Valley overlook, it was cool watching the rains sweep across the valley from such a distance

Dredwolf
07-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Last Dollar Road
Imogene Pass
Anamas Forks Ghost Town
Bartlett Wash Road
Tusher Tunnel
Long Canyon Road

More to come

Okay, adding to the list in order:

Gemini Bridges
(We then visited Dead Horse State Park)
Mineral Point
Potash Road/ Shaffer Switchbacks
"Easy" portion of White Rim to Musselman Arch
Onion Creek
Fisher Towers
Willow Springs Road (back entrance to Arches National Park)
Sand Flats Road
Castle Valley Overlook
La Sal Mountain Loop

Man, got to start heading back to SC in a few more days.... ;(

Dredwolf
07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Sadly, I did not get any pictures of the Explorer with the passenger rear tire almost 4' in the air as Mrs Dredwolf. navigated down some ledges on Willow Springs road while I spotted. The rear suspension on these trucks does not have much travel at all, and she already had the nose of the truck headed downhill, but I put some cautionary weight on that corner anyway.

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Picture Frame Arch

And first tracks of the day

4.3LXJ
07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
That is that pink sand in Utah. Going to the Pink Cloud Sand Dunes someday

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Did some dune bashing in the Explorer, will post pics later tonight

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Needles Overlook

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 04:42 PM

bad luck
07-28-2013, 08:06 PM
The Coral Pink Sand Dunes is a state park, it's down near Kanab.

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Moab is amazing, we just wrapped up 70+ miles of off-pavement driving today alone

4.3LXJ
07-28-2013, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=4.3LXJ;158958]That is that pink sand in Utah. Going to the Pink Cloud Sand Dunes someday[/QUO The Coral Pink Sand Dunes is a state park, it's down near Kanab.

yes, thinking of Hole in the Rock, Bryce Canyon and Pink Cloud in a loop

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
The dunes today were on the trail to Picture Frame arch and Balcony arch, good fun..

Stopped at the "Hole n' The Rock" roadside attraction for a break and ice cream

I looked at the sculpture and thought " I could use those tools".

Yep, I'm sad

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 09:38 PM
As I mentioned earlier, after Picture Frame arch and Balcony Arch, we made our way to a backcountry route to the overlook for the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park...nothing too technical but loads of sandy wash driving...

We found Looking Glass arch
(Imagine picture of arch here since Tapatalk is requiring an ID to upload pictures from my phone now?)

The end result is an amazing view

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
The dunes today were on the trail to Picture Frame arch and Balcony arch, good fun..

Stopped at the "Hole n' The Rock" roadside attraction for a break and ice cream

I looked at the sculpture and thought " I could use those tools".

Yep, I'm sad

And I wonder who gave up their Jeep?

bad luck
07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
[quote=bad luck;158972]

yes, thinking of Hole in the Rock, Bryce Canyon and Pink Cloud in a loop
We have been to all of those, but you may want to include Zion also. All of southern Utah could be one huge national park. There is a tourist place south of Moab, called Hole in the Rock also, it is a home blasted out of the rock, but Hole in the Rock, south of Escalante is the one you are talking about I think. Where the Mormon pioneers were attempting to reach Bluff, Utah to establish a mission there. The history of that journey is amazing.

4.3LXJ
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
[quote=4.3LXJ;158980]
We have been to all of those, but you may want to include Zion also. All of southern Utah could be one huge national park. There is a tourist place south of Moab, called Hole in the Rock also, it is a home blasted out of the rock, but Hole in the Rock, south of Escalante is the one you are talking about I think. Where the Mormon pioneers were attempting to reach Bluff, Utah to establish a mission there. The history of that journey is amazing.

Yup, that is the one. Not this year for sure, but on my bucket list. This is our last year for Fordyce as a multiday adventure. Future trips there will be day trips. We have not decided on where we will go next year.

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I was going through my Charles Wells book on Moab, marking off the trails we had done when i glanced at the Lockhart Basin trail info.
I realized i recognized the yellow YJ pictured from earlier this week. A little more thought, and i realized I received advice from non other than Ber Knight of the Red Rock 4 Wheelers when we were at the end of Onion Creek trail.

He kindly offered to allow us to tag along on the club run to Thompson Canyon and Polar Mesa, if the girls had not been past ready for the promised lunch break at Big Bend, I would have gladly tagged along.

I can only hope I am still wheeling and adventuring in my later years to the extent of the very kind Mr. Knight.

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Slinging a little sand in the "station wagon"....

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=511&pictureid=3653

Dredwolf
07-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :D

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=511&pictureid=3654

(Disclaimer: Despite all the fun the OP appears to be having in a non-XJ vehicle, he thinks at least 6 times a day how much more fun it would be to have his XJ in Moab, and he has detoured in route to breakfast/lunch/dinner at least 6 times while in Moab to more closely examine a built XJ spotted while traveling)

Dredwolf
07-29-2013, 12:08 AM
I have been trying to find a way to relate the sheer scale of the 4x4 trails, scenery and sheer visual possibilities in Moab....I think I found two pictures to help..We ran Long Canyon two years ago in a Farabee rental JK..

The first picture is of the fallen rock on Long Canyon trail that you are supposed to drive under....does not look huge does it? How are you supposed to fit a Jeep or SUV under that? Without tearing the top, or knocking off the roof rack?

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=511&pictureid=3655

Well, road goes that way, so I guess we can check it out and see if we can fit through...

Now lets throw in something in the picture for reference....

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=511&pictureid=3656

Yeah, its that big...

Carves
07-30-2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3188&d=1374882272

And to think that our, bleeding heart society, eco-freaks .... believe that tourists, walking, on our little red rock .... will cause earth shattering erosion issues .. :rolleyes:

http://www.leeabbamonte.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/walking_down_ayers_rock.bmp

Carves
07-30-2013, 11:19 PM
:bang: .... double post

dajeepman
07-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Took my Subaru Outback on Black Bear Pass today!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02312_zps9db8e75b.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02312_zps9db8e75b.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02305_zps7d3d7b2d.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02305_zps7d3d7b2d.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02304_zpsf1b840fe.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02304_zpsf1b840fe.jpg.html)

I didn't get any pictures of me going down it. I think some of my buds in my jeep club did lol

I did see a cherokee infront of our group.. try to do this crazy waterfall.. he was sporting a D35 on 33"s not sure if it was open or not.. I was praying he was not gonna break it.. its a hell of a long walk to get back to the road.

Dredwolf
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Took my Subaru Outback on Black Bear Pass today!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02312_zps9db8e75b.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02312_zps9db8e75b.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02305_zps7d3d7b2d.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02305_zps7d3d7b2d.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/derrickdrew17/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02304_zpsf1b840fe.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/derrickdrew17/media/2013%20Ouray%20Colorado%20LSJC%20Trip/DSC02304_zpsf1b840fe.jpg.html)

I didn't get any pictures of me going down it. I think some of my buds in my jeep club did lol

I did see a cherokee infront of our group.. try to do this crazy waterfall.. he was sporting a D35 on 33"s not sure if it was open or not.. I was praying he was not gonna break it.. its a hell of a long walk to get back to the road.

Congrats on completing Black Bear! I'll be back that way again someday, and maybe luck will let me try it. I got to see the sign of the entrance road...oh well

Dredwolf
08-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Well, we are 7 hours from home, stopping for the night.

What a trip. The Explorer did better than I ever hoped in some areas, and was a pain in others (stupid plastic $@"#%!!!)

Hers an interesting note that I should have thought of... I aired up to 41psi in the Coopers for the trip home in Moab, checking them tonight in Mississippi, they are down to 35 psi.... ;-)

Should have thought of that

Dredwolf
08-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh, and a steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo may not be the best in the world, but it was worth the stop :-)

XJ Wheeler
08-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Oh, and a steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo may not be the best in the world, but it was worth the stop :-)

I've been through there so many times and looked at that place and wondered if we should stop but never have. Gonna have to do it next time!