PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an honest opinion(s)

XJNoob
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone

I am not only new to this forum but new to having a Jeep XJ.

My original plan in getting a XJ was to buy a cheap one a fix it up from there, however that's not how it turned out.
I traded for one that has had a lot of work done to it.
The previous owner kept decent records so i could see a lot of what was done. However, since I am new to this I do not know what parts'brands are good. What is needed/missing/unecessary.
I got this so I can take myself and my girls camping in the Sierra's without any issues.

Here is a list of what I can find that was done to it:

Engine:
Stock 4.0L 6 cylinder
K&N Apollo air intake
Banks torque tube exhaust manifold
Rubicon Express bored out throttle body
Rusty’s off road throttle body spacer
Turbo City Hi flow thermostat housing
Radiator.com 3 row HD radiator
Clutch fan from a 96 grand Cherokee
Flowmaster 40 series exhaust with hi flow catalytic converter
Performance Distributors ignition with E3 plugs
136 amp alt
Jeepers Creepers battery cables
m.o.r.e. HD motor mounts

Trans:
Was rebuilt by Atlas trans in Sierra Vista, Az 16k miles ago
With HD kevlar bands and HD solenoids
Some kind of off road shift kit
HD trans cooler
B&M trans temp gauge (currently not working)

Drivetrain:
Rubicon Express front and rear double u joint driveshafts
Dana30 up front with 27 spline shafts, Sierra Gear 4.56:1 ratio Detroit tru trac locker
8.25 in the rear with 29 spline chromoly shafts, full Detroit locker Sierra Gear 4.56
Teraflex 2low kit in transfer case
HD slip yoke eliminator
Crane dif covers front and rear

Suspension and Steering:
PSC xj extreme duty off road steering box w/ oversized piston
PSC power steering pump
Rusty’s off road steering box brace
c-rok steering box plate
Rubicon Express 5.5” longarm with longer leaf springs
Boomerang shackles
RE gen2 sway bar disconnect
RE HD track bar and brace
RE extended bump stops
Doetsch tech 3000 shocks and steering stabilizer
Jks bar pin eliminiators and stud mount
Steel braided brake lines
15x8 rock krawler steel rims with a 2.75” offset
33x13.5x15 Toyo open country mud terrains

Chasis:
Custom 4x4 fab double tubular rocker guards
Skid row gas tank skid plate
Unibody chassis stiffeners ( looks like a long brace to me)

Exterior:
Performance metal works back door and rear quarter panel guards
Rock lizard lower quarter guards
Bushwacker fender flares
Formattfab steel taillight boxes with LED lights
4 Runcool air vents on the hood
½ “ hood spacers (I don’t know why with the hood vents).
Warn Front winch bumper with grill guard and
Warn 8k lb winch with 100ft of cable
One Warn D-ring shackle in the rear and 2 in the front
2 150w KC daylighters
Custom rear bumper with swing away spare tire and hi-lift jack holder
Class 3 2” receiver (looks like the factory one)
Warrior Products safari rack roof rack with an axe and shovel (my wife cracked up when she saw that)
Airflow xj snorkel intake kit

Interior:
Radio Shack cb radio
Tuffy brand console insert with cup holders
Alpine stereo
Rear cargo net

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow

Let me know what you think

Thanks

4.3LXJ
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I think someone covered almost all the bases for you. There is so much there that if I was to comment, I need some pics area by area. As far as the body is concerned, no comment. The thing I would want to see is the track bar and how it is mounted. I would also want to see how the bumper is mounted. Lots of steering box and pressure is why. So, It is time for some pics. Also, where are you gonna wheel it and what type of terrain?

prerunner1982
10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Chris.. first off welcome to XJTalk.

From the sound of it you scored a nice rig.

There are a few things on there that some may not care for such as the throttle body spacer and the 1/2" hood spacers. But other than a few things like that I don't see anything that just jumps out at me as being a bad thing.

I am by far no expert so I am sure others with a bit more experience will jump in with their opinions.

XJ Wheeler
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow, that thing has a ton of stuff. First thing i would do is go through all the suspension/steering/brake hardware to make sure its appropriate for the application and tight. It sounds like the previous owner knew what they were doing with great detail but never can tell how they kept up with it. Also, check fluids, lube bushings and fittings. And, as stated, the upcoming pics will help.

Jeepster19
10-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a nice Xj with alot of good parts on it.Post pics of your Xj so we can see all the goodies!:popcorn:

junglejuice
10-24-2012, 05:10 AM
I agree with prerunner I tried a spaced bonnet on mine as a test with a fully functioning cooling system I found that under bonnet temps on the highway at highway speeds the temps increased when measured with a laser temp sensor when compared to stock bonnet position, I measured things like rocker cover, battery, master cylinder etc to get an overall sense of what was happening and everything increased in temp incl the temp guage....

JJ

cpttuna
10-24-2012, 05:49 AM
I would get rid of the E-3 plugs in favor of regular champions.

XJNoob
10-24-2012, 10:02 AM

The outside :)

4.3LXJ
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Since you are a Californian, and I am too, is your license plate fully visable? Hard to tell from the photo angle. If not, it is a good excuse to stop you. Other than that, very nice looking rig.

Mudderoy
10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone

I am not only new to this forum but new to having a Jeep XJ.

My original plan in getting a XJ was to buy a cheap one a fix it up from there, however that's not how it turned out.
I traded for one that has had a lot of work done to it.
The previous owner kept decent records so i could see a lot of what was done. However, since I am new to this I do not know what parts'brands are good. What is needed/missing/unecessary.
I got this so I can take myself and my girls camping in the Sierra's without any issues.

Here is a list of what I can find that was done to it:

Engine:
Stock 4.0L 6 cylinder
K&N Apollo air intake
Banks torque tube exhaust manifold
Rubicon Express bored out throttle body
Rusty’s off road throttle body spacer
Turbo City Hi flow thermostat housing
Radiator.com 3 row HD radiator
Clutch fan from a 96 grand Cherokee
Flowmaster 40 series exhaust with hi flow catalytic converter
Performance Distributors ignition with E3 plugs
136 amp alt
Jeepers Creepers battery cables
m.o.r.e. HD motor mounts

Trans:
Was rebuilt by Atlas trans in Sierra Vista, Az 16k miles ago
With HD kevlar bands and HD solenoids
Some kind of off road shift kit
HD trans cooler
B&M trans temp gauge (currently not working)

Drivetrain:
Rubicon Express front and rear double u joint driveshafts
Dana30 up front with 27 spline shafts, Sierra Gear 4.56:1 ratio Detroit tru trac locker
8.25 in the rear with 29 spline chromoly shafts, full Detroit locker Sierra Gear 4.56
Teraflex 2low kit in transfer case
HD slip yoke eliminator
Crane dif covers front and rear

Suspension and Steering:
PSC xj extreme duty off road steering box w/ oversized piston
PSC power steering pump
Rusty’s off road steering box brace
c-rok steering box plate
Rubicon Express 5.5” longarm with longer leaf springs
Boomerang shackles
RE gen2 sway bar disconnect
RE HD track bar and brace
RE extended bump stops
Doetsch tech 3000 shocks and steering stabilizer
Jks bar pin eliminiators and stud mount
Steel braided brake lines
15x8 rock krawler steel rims with a 2.75” offset
33x13.5x15 Toyo open country mud terrains

Chasis:
Custom 4x4 fab double tubular rocker guards
Skid row gas tank skid plate
Unibody chassis stiffeners ( looks like a long brace to me)

Exterior:
Performance metal works back door and rear quarter panel guards
Rock lizard lower quarter guards
Bushwacker fender flares
Formattfab steel taillight boxes with LED lights
4 Runcool air vents on the hood
½ “ hood spacers (I don’t know why with the hood vents).
Warn Front winch bumper with grill guard and
Warn 8k lb winch with 100ft of cable
One Warn D-ring shackle in the rear and 2 in the front
2 150w KC daylighters
Custom rear bumper with swing away spare tire and hi-lift jack holder
Class 3 2” receiver (looks like the factory one)
Warrior Products safari rack roof rack with an axe and shovel (my wife cracked up when she saw that)
Airflow xj snorkel intake kit

Interior:
Radio Shack cb radio
Tuffy brand console insert with cup holders
Alpine stereo
Rear cargo net

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow

Let me know what you think

Thanks

I would dump the cold air stuff and install a snorkel. I think that cold air thing will just get you into trouble and the air will be colder at 6+ feet than it will be in the engine bay. I don't buy Rusty's anything, but I would call that personal choice.

Edit: Well hell, I see the follow up posts with pictures and I see a snorkel. Now I'll have to go back and see if I misread something. I was going to say paint it red, but I see you have that covered! :D

XJNoob
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM

And the underside

Sorry about the weird angles I couldnt figure out what pics to take that would show everything.

Mudderoy
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey could I get a picture of that K&N Apollo air intake and snorkel setup? If I'm reading right this allows you to remove the OEM air box and that would be great news to add an extra battery.

XJNoob
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah I was on a wierd angle but the plate is fully visible from the rear.

4.3LXJ
10-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Track bar and steering set up look very good to me

XJNoob
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Upon further review I do not see K&N anywhere. The reciept I had says K&N intake plumbed into snorkel. Maybe just the top hose to the throttle body?

Heres is another obvious question. Looking at the stock airbox I found the original intake inlet not sealed, so wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the snorkel?

This weekend I am going to do a more detailed investigation :)

4.3LXJ
10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes it would, however just to make sure it is not sealed inside, pull the top and filter and see if it is fully open. If it is, seal it. There is good duct tape in CA that will withstand heat for a zillion years without degrading. It is available at Lowes and Homedepot.

Pookapotamus
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Unless that factory opening has been blocked inside the air box, then the snorkel is useless.

Also that dropped front sway bar looks a little fishy to me, don't know if that would be a benefit or just get in the way.

Nice looking xj though!

Mudderoy
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Upon further review I do not see K&N anywhere. The reciept I had says K&N intake plumbed into snorkel. Maybe just the top hose to the throttle body?

Heres is another obvious question. Looking at the stock airbox I found the original intake inlet not sealed, so wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the snorkel?

This weekend I am going to do a more detailed investigation :)

I don't see the K&N apollo intake. :(

Jeepster19
10-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice looking rig!I see alot of $$$ in it.:D

XJ Wheeler
10-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Very nice! A lot of Jeepers spend years getting to that point.

Brasscatz
10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh no no no no no no no.... it's all wrong. I'm sorry to tell you this, but that setup is not going to work for you. The only hope I see for your case is to get another one stock and give yours away. Since you're a valued xjtalk member, I'd be willing to do an even swap for my red one. I won't even charge you for taking it off your hands :D LOL, seriously though... damn beautiful Jeep, man!

XJ4IV
10-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Sooooo does the previous owner come and fill up the tank for you when you get down to 1/4 tank... he did everything else for you!!! thats a great buy ! Im kind of curious what a filled to the max jeep like that costs? Muddy's jeep aint to far behind that one!

XJNoob
10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
@Brasscatz Thanks but I think I like my shade of red better :wink:

@ XJ41V, I wish I could get the gas :thumbsup: The previous owner claimed to have 17k in it. Yeah this was not the way I planned on getting a XJ, but I'll take it!

junglejuice
10-25-2012, 02:32 AM

Um, yes, it should be sealed, I plastic welded a piece of the offcut over the opening when I fitted my snorkel, has been fine so far....

JJ

XJNoob
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
]
Also, where are you gonna wheel it and what type of terrain?

Sorry I missed this earlier. It will mostly be dry trails in Sierra Forrest, possibly some mud/snow as the weather changes, but most on established trails and forrest roads.

Like this

and this

I know crazy stuff :o

I took it out today on some very minor trails just to check it out. Ran through all the gears and ranges and it did great.
I did find some clicking in the front which later I found was the front axel u joints were worn. The rear end seems to have a lot of play as I can turn the driveshaft about an 1/8th turn. No noise but seems like a lot?

4.3LXJ
10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Chris, you down around Fresno or Bakersfield?

Just a typical high milage rear end. As long as it doesn't make strange noises no worries

XJNoob
10-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Dead center of Fresno

4.3LXJ
10-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Been there a few times on business. Have you been up Dusie Ershom?

XJNoob
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Only on 2 wheels and even then is was only for about the first five miles.
I need to start our on the bunny slope first :)

4.3LXJ
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
We will have to get together sometime and do it. That one is on my list.

Dredwolf
10-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Oh no no no no no no no.... it's all wrong. I'm sorry to tell you this, but that setup is not going to work for you. The only hope I see for your case is to get another one stock and give yours away. Since you're a valued xjtalk member, I'd be willing to do an even swap for my red one. I won't even charge you for taking it off your hands :D LOL, seriously though... damn beautiful Jeep, man!

Jim beat me to it....I was going to say a black XJ that needs work was more his style and drive mine out to CA to trade with him and take that non-character building XJ off his hands to that he can experience all the.....character building..yeah, CHARACTER building.:D

Seriously, really nice XJ.

XJNoob
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Just a typical high milage rear end. As long as it doesn't make strange noises no worries

I was curious if the Detroit Locker made a difference and what do you know it's normal :shocker:

On Eaton's FAQ page it says that a 1/3 to 1/4 turn of the driveshaft is normal.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/FAQforDifferentials/index.htm

4.3LXJ
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I have never run an Eaton. But lockers in general have a little slop in them due to the ratchet having to get firmly tightened before it is really engaged. Just the nature of the locker.

XJNoob
10-28-2012, 10:47 AM
We will have to get together sometime and do it. That one is on my list.

That sounds fun and scary all at once!
But I would love to give it a try.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't get scary, just good old finesse. It is a long drive from there back to Chico.