PDA

View Full Version : XJ won't start when cold

Thatsmydawg
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
No spark no fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump relay an auto shutdown relay an nothing. If I turn the key an don't hear the pump it won't start. If I pop the hood then try to start it it'll take 3-5 key turns priming the pump to start. Sometimes I've turned the key on herd nothing an shut the key off. When I do that I hear a squeaky noise from the computer. If I hear that it'll start. If not it could be a few mins or 2 hrs before it starts again. I think it's the computer just from the squeezing noise then it starts. Any ideas?

4.3LXJ
10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Sounds like you are on the right ttrack

XJ Wheeler
10-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Nevermind, read the WHOLE thing. :D

olds-cool
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Before you go dropping a load of cash on a new ECU, have you tried a different battery?

89Laredo
10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Used computers are cheap...

If you have a friend with a similar year steal theirs and see if it'll run.

ironmanandy
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Start with battery. Get a fresh one with clean terminals. Cold weather affects batteries before anything else.

After battery check spark level from coil/icm and connectivity. These have always been my biggest problems from cold weather.

A

Thatsmydawg
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
It's a brand new interstate. An it won't be the coil because it's spark an fuel at the same time. If I park in The garage for the night I crank it once. Pop the hood I head the squeak noise from the starter I shut the hood an it runs fine. Like I said threw out the day it's fine doesn't stall or anything it runs fine. Just after sitting for a while. I'll check Craigslist an see what a used ecu goes for.