PDA

View Full Version : Checking exhaust back pressure

Mudderoy
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Recently, after a 4.0l rebuild, I ran into an issue that exposed a clogged exhaust system. Replacing the catalytic converter and muffler go rid of of a 4,100 rpm limit, and general slow acceleration past about 2,100 rpm.

Happy to have my power back but since I'm still see a running warm situation I picked up a back pressure gauge.

Well I've been through the 99 Field Service Manual (FSM) and I can't find anywhere what the psi should be.

Does anyone have that information handy? If you find it in the FSM could you tell me what section? I've looked in engine and exhaust sections.

Jeepster19
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Recently, after a 4.0l rebuild, I ran into an issue that exposed a clogged exhaust system. Replacing the catalytic converter and muffler go rid of of a 4,100 rpm limit, and general slow acceleration past about 2,100 rpm.

Happy to have my power back but since I'm still see a running warm situation I picked up a back pressure gauge.

Well I've been through the 99 Field Service Manual (FSM) and I can't find anywhere what the psi should be.

Does anyone have that information handy? If you find it in the FSM could you tell me what section? I've looked in engine and exhaust sections.
I have a factory service manual on a disc for my 98.I'll go through it and see if I can find anything.I also have another source I can check,I'll do that first because the FSM is rather large.

Mudderoy
10-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Well the results are 0 psi, doesn't matter the RPM. I tried up to around 2,000 rpm to idle.

New gauge so I blew some compressed air in it and it registered. Now way of knowing if it was reading right, but the needle did move.

I'll have to try it on the 99 XJ and the 03 TJ.

Jeepster19
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Nothing from my source mudderoy,I'll dig through my FSM tomorrow night to see if I can find anything.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Nothing from my source mudderoy,I'll dig through my FSM tomorrow night to see if I can find anything.:thumbsup:

It looks like it's going to be a moot point, but if you run across it great!