PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light comes on

vr4operator
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
As it states. It will come on and go off randomly. I've tried watching it to see if its a hitting bumps issue, but it'll come on on a flat surface and stay on awhile, then go off.

I searched around and saw people talking about the clock spring, but the horn works fine and the light is intermittent.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Butch

Mudderoy
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
As it states. It will come on and go off randomly. I've tried watching it to see if its a hitting bumps issue, but it'll come on on a flat surface and stay on awhile, then go off.

I searched around and saw people talking about the clock spring, but the horn works fine and the light is intermittent.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Butch

There is a ground issue on the 97+ XJ's. Most of the time my RPM and SPEED gauges go to zero, along with the airbag light coming on. It used to happen during cold weather, recently it has gotten worse. I used to hit the dash just above the cluster, later I found by accident that if I reset the trip odometer it would reestablish the ground and everything would start working again.

Sometimes only the airbag light will come on. I just press on the front of the cluster and it goes off after about 5 seconds. Also works to get rpm and mph going again.

I'm going to have to take the cluster out and fix that ground.

vr4operator
11-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Pressing on it (and hitting it) doesn't seem to do anything. Sometimes its on, sometimes its off. There is minor front end damage. Damage is a bad description. You can tell the bumper was pushed in a bit. Def not noticeable until you stumble on it (I missed it when we were buying it).

I figure maybe something is loose? Anyone know where the sensor(s) are located? Or a way to deactivate the whole thing? Need it gone so it'll pass inspection.

Thanks!

Brasscatz
11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
My airbag light is on all the time... I'd be curious if my issue is a ground problem or if my airbag won't work. I'm not exactly willing to test the airbag the old-fashioned way ;)

editedforsafety
11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Mine is always on, but my horn doesn't work either so I'm guessing it's the clock spring.

My front bumper, driver side corner, in pushed in a bit, but I don't think that is related, but I guess it could be.

vr4operator
11-22-2012, 07:06 PM
I've read about the clock spring/horn thing, but the horn works fine, which is why I'm thinking sensor, but having never dealt with one before, I'm not sure where is sits and if its something I'm better off taking somewhere