PDA

View Full Version : Lift question

Canoe58
10-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone, I have a question about adding lift to my XJ. I have a 3.5 inch lift now for about 3 years. I noticed that when turning sharp the tire is starting to rub just a little bit. (31" tires) If I add 1 inch coil spacers and 1 inch shackles will I have to change anything else to compensate the height change? All suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

ironmanandy
10-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Running longer, or adjustable upper and lower control arms to scoot your front axle forward will improve your caster as well as get your wheelbase back and keep your center of gravity where it is.

This will also get your tires out of your fender lol.
Andy

4.3LXJ
10-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Turning sharp with 31s will cause the tires to rub because of the increase in dire diameter. Jsut a matter of geometry. If you only go an inch, you probably can get away with it. However Andy is right, doing it with a full kit, or change to long arms only will be the best way to do it. Does your current lift kit include aftermarket front arms? If not, not a good idea to go that extra inch. Your castor angle will be too far off and you may have death wobble as a result. As far as the rear goes, going that inch with a 2 inch extension of shackle length will result in a 2° change in pinion angle and may cause driveline vibrations, which can be cured with a 2° shim. We have an article here on correcting drive line angles.

Canoe58
10-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Thank you for the info. Looks like I'll be installing adjustable upper and lower control arms. I really didn't want to have to go any hire with my XJ. Thanks again!

ironmanandy
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
If you are interested I sell those parts but if you have a preferred brand I understand feel free to call me though so I can give you some measurements to go off of.
Andy

Jeepster19
10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Turning sharp with 31s will cause the tires to rub because of the increase in dire diameter. Jsut a matter of geometry. If you only go an inch, you probably can get away with it. However Andy is right, doing it with a full kit, or change to long arms only will be the best way to do it. Does your current lift kit include aftermarket front arms? If not, not a good idea to go that extra inch. Your castor angle will be too far off and you may have death wobble as a result. As far as the rear goes, going that inch with a 2 inch extension of shackle length will result in a 2° change in pinion angle and may cause driveline vibrations, which can be cured with a 2° shim. We have an article here on correcting drive line angles.

Hey 4.3LXJ,what is the proper driveline angle on the rear driveshaft,and angle on the front driveshaft?

4.3LXJ
10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Do you have a CV joint on an SYE or the stock driveline?

Jeepster19
10-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Do you have a CV joint on an SYE or the stock driveline?

Stock driveline for now.I'm looking for a np231 so I can put a SYE in it.:D

4.3LXJ
10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
You set them up differently depending on which one you have. Here are instructions for both. Since I posted this, I use a smart phone with a free app as an angle finder now.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7299

Jeepster19
10-21-2012, 10:27 PM
You set them up differently depending on which one you have. Here are instructions for both. Since I posted this, I use a smart phone with a free app as an angle finder now.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7299

Awesome,thanks for the info 4.3lxj.:thumbsup: