PDA

View Full Version : 96 XJ Trans Problem

DJZ96XJ
10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
New Guy - I have a 96 XJ Country, 323,000 great power still running strong, then sold it to my sister-in-law...Just bought it back and she's not the same. My Jeep, not my sis-in-law... Problem - When shifting into 4H from 2WD no problem but coming out 4WD will not shift right away it takes awhile then a sudden thud (jolt) and she's back in 2WD. Also in 2WD I feel a rumble from the rear somewhere? Thanks anyone.

Mudderoy
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
New Guy - I have a 96 XJ Country, 323,000 great power still running strong, then sold it to my sister-in-law...Just bought it back and she's not the same. My Jeep, not my sis-in-law... Problem - When shifting into 4H from 2WD no problem but coming out 4WD will not shift right away it takes awhile then a sudden thud (jolt) and she's back in 2WD. Also in 2WD I feel a rumble from the rear somewhere? Thanks anyone.

When you have a few moments fill out the information best you can at this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/profile.php?do=editprofile)

That will cut down on the questions we have to ask you when you need help, of course in this case it may not have made a difference since it's your sister in-laws vehicle.

Is the transfer case a NP242 or NP231? The NP242 has Full time and Part time 4x4. The NP231 only has Part Time.

I know with the NP242 that after they get some wear you need to slow to about 20 mph, or less, shift the transmission into neutral, then move the transfer case lever to 2wd. It should be firm feeling and now bouncy. Then put the transmission back in drive. Sometimes the transfer case doesn't pop back into 2WD until I put the transmission back in drive.

Oh and do this on a nice straight road, so if it doesn't work you can try it again before having to turn.

If you do have to turn keep it shallow as to minimize the stress on the drive train, and specifically the chain in the transfer case and front axle u-joints.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
This is a typical problem. First, plan ahead. Shift out just as you leave low traction conditions. Any small variation in tire pressure, tread wear etc will put a lot of force on the drive train. As it shifts out, it lets that torsion dissipate and you get a clunk. Second, you can facilitate the shift by backing off the gas and coasting as you try to shift out. Sometimes it might be necessary to stop and back up a little.

DJZ96XJ
10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I will fill out the informtion after today. Thanks for getting back.

Dredwolf
10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
This is a typical problem. First, plan ahead. Shift out just as you leave low traction conditions. Any small variation in tire pressure, tread wear etc will put a lot of force on the drive train. As it shifts out, it lets that torsion dissipate and you get a clunk. Second, you can facilitate the shift by backing off the gas and coasting as you try to shift out. Sometimes it might be necessary to stop and back up a little.

While the newer 4X systems are much more forgiving than the old cast iron Dana 20 and NP 205 transfer cases, I have found with the newer (is a '91 Explorer considered "new" these days?) systems still benefit from shifting "old style" during my few wheeling trips recently, even the "smart" systems like on my wife's 2003 Explorer.

2Hi to 4Hi(or whatever they call it) can be done while in motion but avoid doing it under power, or in turns. 4Hi to 4Lo? I always stop, transmission in neutral, and "unload" the drive train (depends on terrain, slope, etc) before shifting to 4Lo(or whatever they call the rough terrain mode these days). And especially with 4Lo, make sure the transfer case is solidly locked into 4Lo before trying to shove the skinny pedal through the floorboard.

DJZ96XJ
10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I've narrowed itr down to the rear end. It seems like when I give it gas the rear end seems to vibrate more now than before. When I let off the gas the vibration stops. I can see some movement in the rear u-joint, like maybe the bearing might be bad. What can I check in the rear end (dif.) to see if it could be anything else.

Thanks anybody!

Dave

Mudderoy
10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I've narrowed itr down to the rear end. It seems like when I give it gas the rear end seems to vibrate more now than before. When I let off the gas the vibration stops. I can see some movement in the rear u-joint, like maybe the bearing might be bad. What can I check in the rear end (dif.) to see if it could be anything else.

Thanks anybody!

Dave

You said the problem. The rear u-joint. If you can see it moving with little or no drive shaft movement the u-joint is dry and you probably have metal powder where the needle bearings used to be.

Drop the drive shaft and remove a cap to confirm then replace ALL the u-joints on the drive shaft.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
X2 Time to replace it before it becomes too serious

DJZ96XJ
10-29-2012, 05:21 AM
thanks - Will do!

DJZ96XJ
11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Last night I lifted the right rear wheel and discovered that I was able to push in and out the entire wheel as if the axle was moving about 1/4" to 3/8" in and out, same with other side. Bearings on outside seem to be o.k. but I know this is not a good thing the both axle have that much in/out play. What should I be looking for in the dif. ?

thanks

4.3LXJ
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
If it is a D35, mine does it too.

DJZ96XJ
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
If it is a D35, mine does it too. I'll check again tonight what the ear end is. I do have play in the u-Joint I'll try replacing that first.
thanks

oderdene
11-02-2012, 04:10 AM
sounds too big play, try to adjust brake shoe. if it not works, time to replace c-clip.