PDA

View Full Version : AX15 gear issues

prcjeep
10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Well it appears my AX15 may be on its last leg... It has been gradually getting tougher and tougher to shift smoothly and without "grinding." First guess is the syncronizers are goin out. Probably, I dont know. I dont consider myself educated on how transmissions work.
Well anyways, the issue I'm having as of lately is, Second gear. I can shift into it, but when I go to shift out of it, it's stuck. I can pump the clutch pedal a million times and it is still hanging on to something. After enough force and cusing and wiggling of the shifter, i can get it to slide out but then the shift lever is very resisatant to any movement.

I might have a line on a donor AX15 but doers anyone know what all is wrong with mine?

Mudderoy
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Well it appears my AX15 may be on its last leg... It has been gradually getting tougher and tougher to shift smoothly and without "grinding." First guess is the syncronizers are goin out. Probably, I dont know. I dont consider myself educated on how transmissions work.
Well anyways, the issue I'm having as of lately is, Second gear. I can shift into it, but when I go to shift out of it, it's stuck. I can pump the clutch pedal a million times and it is still hanging on to something. After enough force and cusing and wiggling of the shifter, i can get it to slide out but then the shift lever is very resisatant to any movement.

I might have a line on a donor AX15 but doers anyone know what all is wrong with mine?

I've never seen the insides of a AX15 but when I was 16 years old I broke the 1st to 2nd gear synchronizer in a Chevy 3 speed. I took it apart, saw the problem, bought the synchronizer and replaced it. Just looking at it, it was very easy to understand and is why I asked the Jeep dealership for a manual transmission version of the XJ I have now.

You might want to pull it out and have a look inside.

Carves
10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
AX15 is the one that was in '97 TJ's ???

Mine was a dog right from new with 2nd gear playing up ... then 5th.

Never was happy with it - considering I use to have more success slapping 13spd & 15spd RoadRangers around, even without using the clutch ... :bang:

4.3LXJ
10-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Patrick, I think it may be a clutch master cylinder issue. Sure sounds like it. Have you ever driven without a clutch, where you match RPMs to engine speed. You might try it and see if you can get it just right and slip it out of gear and then match speed for the next gear. If you can shift that way, it is the master cylinder.

Cheromaniac
10-16-2012, 07:09 AM

I think that 4.3LXJ might have hit the nail on the head with the clutch. Does your clutch pedal feel spongy? Does the clutch fluid reservoir need frequent topping up? If so, either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder is leaking and if fluid is leaking out when you press the pedal, air can get drawn in when you release it and cause the spongy pedal feel.
The master cylinder could be toast anyway even if there's no external signs of a fluid leak but traces of "sweat" around the MC will give it away.

msmoorenburg
10-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Patrick

after driving your Jeep it needs syncronizers bad! have a look at the diagram below and you will get the idea. I wouldn't put it past a bent shift fork too. As for shifting without the clutch i don't think you would have success due to the issues i felt during the drive around the block.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transmission-parts/images/ax15-transmission-large.jpg