PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) XJ questions

jdel
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey all, just picked up a 95 Sport for very very cheap and I'm trying to fix some issues.

1) The P.O. installed a Valet keyless entry system. At some point before/after installing the system, the instrument cluster fuse started to blow on a regular basis. I have already tried unplugging the Valet unit to see if the fuse would blow, and it lasted a little longer but still blew. I figure I just have to take apart the dash and go through the wiring, unless I'm mistaken. Am I going about it the right way? Is there any easier way to figure out why it's blowing?

2) Obviously being a new owner, I want to test out the 4wd. After multiple attempts to try and get it into 4wd, I am completely stumped. I read through the owners manual and multiple forum posts to see what the recommended procedure to get it into 4wd and still haven't had any success. After moving the selector into neutral, I am able to move the 4wd selector to 4L. If I pop the transmission into drive, everything seems alright, but if I turn the wheel even a little bit, I get a surging or "bucking" from the driveline. What is this an indication of?

3) The P.O. installed an aftermarket intake. What benefit does this provide outside of increased airflow? I don't know how I feel about the potential of sucking up water through it since it seems to be longer and pointed down towards the ground rather than being level. It seems to me that maybe this intake is a bit overkill and that I would be better off going to something like the 2000 intake that everyone talks about.

Sorry for the questions (and if they've already been answered somewhere else. I searched quite a bit before even considering posting) and I'm sure I'll have more. I'll post some pics of it's minty stock condition later on.

bigjim350
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
1. Seems like there is a wire grounding out under the dash somewhere. Best bet would be to remove the wiring the po put in.

2. If your getting the bucking while turning in 4wd on hard surfaces then thats normal.

3. I would remove that cold air intake and put on a stock air box or a cowl snorkle if you plan on wheeling it

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

jdel
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
1. Seems like there is a wire grounding out under the dash somewhere. Best bet would be to remove the wiring the po put in.

2. If your getting the bucking while turning in 4wd on hard surfaces then thats normal.

3. I would remove that cold air intake and put on a stock air box or a cowl snorkle if you plan on wheeling it

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

1. Removal of the wiring for the valet system is next on my list. I'm not sure why keyless entry and a remote starter is necessary on a vehicle that's 15 years old and has over 280k on the clock. Thanks for the idea.

2. That makes sense. I guess I will have to test it out off road.

3. Interesting that they would install it. It wasn't a "cheap" intake, but I don't understand why they would even buy a cold air intake in the first place. Again, my idea of a Jeep isn't to make it a race car.

Thanks for the help!

denverd1
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Again, my idea of a Jeep isn't to make it a race car.

True, but more torque/HP is always better than less! especially when you get some bigger tires on there and haven't regeared

jdel
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
True, but more torque/HP is always better than less! especially when you get some bigger tires on there and haven't regeared

Right. I just don't think bending the intake from the throttle body down to the ground is the way to move forward especially if I'm wheeling or something and go through water.

denverd1
10-15-2012, 02:12 PM
hmmm. check this out.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm

Mudderoy
10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Don't run part time four wheel drive on dry surfaces. That "bucking" is something looking to break, or stretch. Congrats on your find.

jdel
10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't run part time four wheel drive on dry surfaces. That "bucking" is something looking to break, or stretch. Congrats on your find.

Alright that makes sense. Got very lucky finding this for the price I did. Let me see if it stopped raining and I'll put some pics up in the picture forum.