PDA

View Full Version : Surging while climbing a hill on pavement...

Dredwolf
10-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, I literally finished two great days of finally getting to wheel my '99 XJ, and I am going back over the day's observations, what worked, what needs fixing, etc.

I have a few minor things to fix, but during the drive home, I had one of the dreaded "oh :turd:" moments....we were leaving a friends house and accelerating up a hill in 4x2 when the XJ surged 3-4 times, I took my foot out of it, the surging stopped, but we were cresting the hill by that time. It did not do it again during the drive home.

Prior to this, it wheeled fine all day, working fine and strong in 4x2 and 4Lo. I know there is a list of the "normal" things to check, and now that I know the XJ is viable off-road, I will be going through everything eventually....but with that surging, should I go ahead and locate a spare AW4?

I know these AW4's are sensitive to heat (my buddy's CJ ran warm several times this weekend, so we took many breaks, was not concerned about the XJ), and a cooler is in the "re-build" budget.

cantab27
10-15-2012, 12:22 AM
hows it ideal as in ticking over nice......nothing get wet......

Dredwolf
10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

We did a good bit of running in the water, and I did one "mud bog" run (under duress), but the engine compartment stayed clean.

Idle is okay, I have some vacuum lines to re-route and patch in the vacuum canister.

I do have a check engine light from the cat/2nd O2 sensor missing, I think (that was what it was prior to the weekend wheeling), but I will throw the scanner on it this evening.

I picked up a lot of OEM components from a pull-a-part JY, and there are more there to help me fix the vacuum lines on my '99 from a twin '99, how in the heck do the fittings on the top of the valve cover release?

Dredwolf
10-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Changed the crankcase oil tonight, motor started easy and rev'ed clean....a little slow winding down after I let off the accelerator.

I added a turn-down to the exhaust Saturday to try to get the "drone" out of the passenger compartment (Previous owner chopped the pipe, and added a dynomax muffler with no pipe afterwards), it worked well.....but I can tell I have an exhaust leak at the donut gasket, or somewhere on the header.

Carves
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
............ how in the heck do the fittings on the top of the valve cover release?

As in the elbows running to the airbox and intake manifold ??

... the rubber grommets they sit in, need to be warm and supple ... run the engine or use a heat gun ...

... then if your lucky and the elbows arent too brittle from age ... you can just yank them out.

Dredwolf
10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
As in the elbows running to the airbox and intake manifold ??

... the rubber grommets they sit in, need to be warm and supple ... run the engine or use a heat gun ...

... then if your lucky and the elbows arent too brittle from age ... you can just yank them out.

I'll give that try if needed, I managed to piece together much of what is needed to reinstall the factory airbox. Not that I want to keep 100% that restrictive assembly, but I am trying to put back what the PO yanked out in his enthusiasm.