PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank:13Gal to 20Gal Swap

jortz
10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I am curious to know if anyone has swapped a factory 13Gal fuel tank for a factory 20Gal fuel tank? My '88 XJ has the 13 Gal and if I use it for commuting I'm filling it every other day. I'm interested in any changes to the fuel lines, gauge/pump wiring, hangers. I'm reasonably certain that I will need the fuel pump pickup/gauge and the straps with the tank but will I have to fabricate the mounts for the straps? Are there other considerations such as rear end clearance when crawling? Is there a better Idea out there?

4.3LXJ
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Jeff, I have not done this swap. To be honest, you are the first one I have found to actually have one. But the strap anchors should be the same. Fuel lines will be no problem. There is a short stretch of rubber on both lines. If you have a complete tank and straps it should just be a bolt in. Also while you are at it, pick up the skid plate for the larger tank. If you don't have the nut strip that goes inside the frame, pick that up too. You will have to remove the rear bumper to access that. Fill hoses should be the same too

XJ Wheeler
10-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Same here, first one I've actually heard to have one.

I wouldn't think the mounting would be different so it should be a simple bolt-in. I do wonder if the sending unit would be setup (electrically) to work right. Guess that would be a trial thing.

I would like to ask a favor if its not too much trouble. A couple pics would be great. Mainly the front of the tank where the sending unit is but the whole tank would be nice too. That way everyone can see what this elusive equipment looks like.

Welcome to xjTalk too.

Mudderoy
10-14-2012, 06:24 AM
So they are physically two different tanks? On the Wranglers it's the same tank but a longer tube so you can only get 13(?) gallons in it instead of 18. Cut or replace the tube and boom now you have 18 gallon tank.

jortz
10-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks to 4.3 and XJ. I will take pics as I do the work. From the pics of new tanks online both have the sending/pump unit on the front. I will have to take some measurements of the original tank before going to the junkyard.

jortz
04-22-2014, 06:32 PM
I went to the junkyard and got what they said was a 20 gallon tank. Turned out to be exavtly the same. I cut the fill and vent tubes and now the tank holds well over 20 gallons but leaks all over the place. I'm thinking of getting the welder out and modifying the original tank to fit a top mounted pump/sender unit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Better watch that welding on a tank. When I was a paramedic I scooped up a fella that welded on a tank that had been sitting for years, it went boom and took his legs out

abebehrmann
04-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Better watch that welding on a tank. When I was a paramedic I scooped up a fella that welded on a tank that had been sitting for years, it went boom and took his legs out

So what would be the safe way to weld a fuel tank? Remove tank, fill and empty multiple times with water?

jortz
04-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Weld as full as possible with water

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
So what would be the safe way to weld a fuel tank? Remove tank, fill and empty multiple times with water?

When I welded on mine, I removed the tank and the sending unit and all hoses. Left it outside in 100° heat for a week and then blew it out with an air hose for a few minutes. I made sure there was no odor left before starting

jortz
04-22-2014, 09:18 PM
When I welded on mine, I removed the tank and the sending unit and all hoses. Left it outside in 100° heat for a week and then blew it out with an air hose for a few minutes. I made sure there was no odor left before starting

Or that!