PDA

View Full Version : Factory Fog lights rebuildable??

Victoriabcboy
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a 99 with factory fog lights. I pulled one off as they are not working. Found out it was caked full of mud (yipee). My question is has anyone tried to rebuild these or is it not worth the effort and just replace them?

I ask as with winter coming I'd like some foggers but don't know if or what I'm going to do for a bumper/winch upgrade yet or if I'll do one. If I do a bumper upgrade my light options are limitless, and would pick after I got my bumper.

Back to my stock lights, the contacts are super rusted and I couldn't even tell if the bulbs are replaceable. Are they? or is this a huge waste of time?

Thanks any thoughts would be great.

Mudderoy
10-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a 99 with factory fog lights. I pulled one off as they are not working. Found out it was caked full of mud (yipee). My question is has anyone tried to rebuild these or is it not worth the effort and just replace them?

I ask as with winter coming I'd like some foggers but don't know if or what I'm going to do for a bumper/winch upgrade yet or if I'll do one. If I do a bumper upgrade my light options are limitless, and would pick after I got my bumper.

Back to my stock lights, the contacts are super rusted and I couldn't even tell if the bulbs are replaceable. Are they? or is this a huge waste of time?

Thanks any thoughts would be great.

I have several of these as I would replace them as they broke on my 98. Recently I decided I'd take the one good one and one I got off of eBay and install them in the 99. Well the one I got from ebay was messed up on the mount, just never noticed it before. So I thought I could move it's parts to an old broken one. Boy was that a pain in the ass. Add to that the mirroring had gone on the one I was trying to use it it was just crap.

I bought a new one off of eBay for $30. Still need to run all the wring...

Victoriabcboy
10-14-2012, 10:25 AM
$30 eh? for that price I think I'm better off waiting and putting the money into new ones. Thanks.

xjrev10
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Stealership wants around 120 for ONE if I remember correcty?!

Victoriabcboy
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
$120??? holy crap I wasn't going there but wow that's alot. Can get cheapo driving/fogs at Wal-mart for like $60 a pair.

I might just tough out this winter and get some good ones next winter.

I went to a place here on the Island called Bear Creek Reservoir yesterday. Rained buckets stock headlight didn't do much. I might see if the wife will forward a budget for the new foggers, as she is loving to come with on adventures. LOL.

Mudderoy
10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
$120??? holy crap I wasn't going there but wow that's alot. Can get cheapo driving/fogs at Wal-mart for like $60 a pair.

I might just tough out this winter and get some good ones next winter.

I went to a place here on the Island called Bear Creek Reservoir yesterday. Rained buckets stock headlight didn't do much. I might see if the wife will forward a budget for the new foggers, as she is loving to come with on adventures. LOL.

$32.50 a light... :link: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2001-JEEP-CHEROKEE-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-FOGLLIGHT-FOGLAMP-RH-PASSENGER-/130635945482?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6a82560a)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1997-2001-JEEP-CHEROKEE-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-FOGLLIGHT-FOGLAMP-RH-PASSENGER-/00/s/MjE2WDM2MA==/$(KGrHqN,!iEE8I)b!hHWBPH3-bLtY!~~60_12.JPG

Victoriabcboy
10-18-2012, 12:27 AM
that's a better price thanks.

gyrene
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree with Mudderoy. Not worth rebuilding. Just buy new/used. A lot less headaches in the end.

LizardRunner
10-23-2012, 01:57 PM
towards answering the other parts of your question... yes they are rebuildable, the bulbs are replaceable. If the plugs are that rusted, you would have to spice in new ones, so better to go with the aftermarket set you like most. As for headlights you can change the bulbs to higher wattage bulbs but even better is a set of replacemet lamp assemblies, since it is really the lense and reflector that are crappy in the OEM set up.

Victoriabcboy
10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks I have decided I'm going to wait and save my pennies for an aftermarket set of foggers.

As for the headlights, I have seen the upgrade kits and am interested I'm going to wait and see how bad mine are now. I don't think they are that bad but the rain is starting to come down here every now and then.