PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hood!!

jay23rsx
10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
IM NEW HERE AND i REALLY NEED SOME HELP WITH A HOOD ISSUE I HAVE. iTS A RATHER HARD ISSUE BECAUSE I CAN NOT GET THE HOOD UP DO TO THE FACT THAT MY HOOD LATCH CABLE ON MY 99 CHEROKEE SPORT IS BROKE AND I REALLY NEED A WAY TO GET THE HOOD UP BECAUSE I NEED WORK DONE AND A BATTERY. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.

NW99XJ
10-11-2012, 12:03 PM
TWO WORDS:
Chain
Saw

No in all seriousness, this is going to be hard.
You'll have to remove both headlight buckets, and the grill insert. (all phillips screws)
This will give you access to the area behind the header panel, and room to work.
There will be a small oval opening just above the radiator... you will see the hood latch mechanism there, and you should be able to get a tool (small pry bar, large hook tool, big flat head screw driver, etc... ) up in there to manipulate it enough to release the lock. It's not going to be easy, but thats the only way I know how you'd go about doing it.
Good Luck!

cantab27
10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11342&highlight=hood+open

more ideas in there as well mate ..good luck

4.3LXJ
10-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok, here is how you do it.

Pull the headlight bezel and seal beams out. Remove the can that holds them by using a needle nose plier to unhook the springs the hold one side in. If you don't touch the screws, then you don't have to readjust the headlights. Behind the can, there are two bolts. One, the horizontal bolt you can see. The other is vertical up underneath. You will have to find that one by brail. Remove them and the latch will come loose. Repeat on the other side.

denverd1
10-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Howdy Jay, welcome to the forum.

damn thats a bitch! note to self, replace hood latch cable before it breaks....

jay23rsx
10-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks I will try these suggestions this weekend

bluedragon436
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Howdy Jay, welcome to the forum.

damn thats a bitch! note to self, replace hood latch cable before it breaks....

Had my cable snap right at the handle one day, and was going to get it taken care of, less than a week after it popped so did my serpentine belt and at the same time my water pump went out... yeah... try pulling headlights apart on the side of the headlight to pop the hood... it sucked big time... next time something that seems not such a big deal I'm taking care of it ASAP, just in case!! LOL