PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice

kbenfield
10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
i recently got a 96 cherokee with a 4 inch lift. its got a wobble and pop when turning the wheel.... i honestly think when the lift was put on that nothing else was upgraded. what all should i update to get this thing to where it drives a little better??

Brasscatz
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm kinda thinking your wheel bearings may be shot. You can order a set from 1A Auto (mention xjtalk and get a discount).

cantab27
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
pics of set up.....hard to tell might need a bit more info katy...tire size and such

kbenfield
10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
i will get some pics up soon. ive got a set of 33s on it. planning on replacing the wheel bearing aswell as beefing up the tie rods and u joints. i just ordered a adjustable track bar and just replace the track bar end link bushings. was wondering.... should i do a transfer case drop, also what about adjustable lower controll arms? just wanting to get it they way it should in hopes to not wear my front end out and make it a little easier to drive:confused:

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Unless you have drive line vibrations, you don't need the tcase drop

cantab27
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
i will get some pics up soon. ive got a set of 33s on it. planning on replacing the wheel bearing aswell as beefing up the tie rods and u joints. i just ordered a adjustable track bar and just replace the track bar end link bushings. was wondering.... should i do a transfer case drop, also what about adjustable lower controll arms? just wanting to get it they way it should in hopes to not wear my front end out and make it a little easier to drive:confused:

see what all that does for ya......try dropping ya front drive shaft and go for a spin.......they throw a vibration when sick....

kbenfield
10-09-2012, 09:34 PM
i have the front drive shaft out now.. being rebuilt lol it gets a terrible wobble at about 35/40 other wise the virbrations arent terrible

cantab27
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
well thats one less thing to check brother ..lol

XJ Wheeler
10-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Could be many but with the symptoms you're describing i'd either - control arm & track bar bushing(s), tie rod end(s), or ball joint(s). Might wanna also check the alignment, who knows the last time that was done (unless you do;)). If ever since the lift.

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I am confused. Are you getting steering wobbles or driveline vibrations, or both?

bigjim350
10-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Best thing to do is: Have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth while your laying under the front of the jeep. Look for play in any of the joints, like the tierod ends, trackbar, draglink, pitman arm etc etc. Pay most your attention to the track bar, thats where most problems come from.

Cheromaniac
10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
i recently got a 96 cherokee with a 4 inch lift. its got a wobble and pop when turning the wheel.... i honestly think when the lift was put on that nothing else was upgraded. what all should i update to get this thing to where it drives a little better??

A 4" lift will change the whole front suspension and steering geometry. At the very least you'll need longer control arms to restore normal caster (unless you use drop brackets instead), plus a drop pitman arm to lower the drag link and correct the tie rod angle.