PDA

View Full Version : Eaton M90

07Negative
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
So I read a post on using ford or neon injectors on the 4.0L earlier. I never considered swapping my OEM injectors so I figured, what the heck? At least I'll read up on it. Then I stumbled upon these 2 Youtube videos. I might be a little late on these. But damn it is neat. And I think it's a great mod for the I6. I'd really hate to go through the hassle of doing a motor swap. And since I'm over the 200K miles. I need to start thinking of a plan. I know my g/f would love for me to sale my Jeep and get something new. But I don't like new cars or their associated monthly payments.
I think this first video is a clean install.
1) Jeep 4.0 supercharger - YouTube

2) supercharged jeep 4.0 1st start.mp4 - YouTube

Cheromaniac
10-09-2012, 02:39 AM
I don't like new cars or their associated monthly payments.

Me neither which is why I own two old jalopies with a combined age of 37 years. :D
Supercharging the old 4.0 is a nice idea but with over 200k miles on it, I strongly recommend that you freshen up the engine with new bearings, rings, gaskets, and seals. Now that you know you'll need to rebuild the engine anyway, it's an opportunity to rebuild it into a 4.6L stroker. Nothing fancy, just a modified "poor man's" stroker similar to mine except that the only non-stock parts you'd need are the 258 crank and a set of Keith Black IC944 forged pistons. Then if you bolt on a supercharger, imagine how much fun you'd have!

4.6L modified "poor man's" stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith Black UEM-IC944-020 forged pistons
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.070" quench height
248hp @ 4900rpm, 306lbft @ 3250rpm ('87-'95 camshaft)
245hp @ 4800rpm, 315lbft @ 3000rpm ('96-'04 camshaft)

With a supercharger and 6psi of boost (non-intercooled) you could have an easy 330hp and a mountain of torque. I wouldn't copy that intercooled set-up shown in your Youtube videos though. The blower sits right above the distributor and there's no access to service the distributor cap/rotor, plug wires, or even to change the spark plugs. With a mild 6psi set-up you don't need an intercooler anyway and you can have the blower sitting on top of the intake manifold instead. Better still, you could go for a centrifugal supercharger (e.g. Vortech, Powerdyne) which is more compact, and put it where you'd normally have the AC compressor (if you don't mind losing the AC) or next to it instead and relocate the battery.

07Negative
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm not so sure stroking a 4.0 is a good way to go. If I can get someone to report that they can get 200K + miles out of it like I can with 4.0L. Then I would consider it. I was just going to rebuild my 4.0. Port and polish the head (a little more air and fuel). And consider figuring out how to fashion up a M90. I know it's not a high power out put blower, but I'm sure I'd get a 20-25% increase in power.
I had spent 2 nights reading through Frank's motor swap write up. And after talking to him. I think there's more logic in doing a LS swap. Far more power, better MPG, after market support is endless.
I'm a little of a purist with my Jeep. I really like the power of the 4.0L. But it could use some help. More power would be nice and fuel efficiency would be much appreciated. But I'm not sure if that can be achieved.
I'm pretty sure I can make it to 300K miles on this power train. I have yet to get less than that on 2 other Jeeps. In the mean time. I think I'll keep milling over options.
I have however thought about a new JK. It's damn near the same thing as a XJ. Just at the ton of $40K I'm not so eager to jump to the dealership.

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
DJ, one thing you have to consider on aftermarket blowers is getting a CARB sticker to go with them. Otherwise, you will have to remove it every two years to smog it.

07Negative
10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I know. But is it still considered aftermarket if it comes off a existing vehicle that came with the blower?

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Has to have been on a Jeep, or it needs a CARB sticker

xj4life2
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually to go a little further , it has to come off the same year make and model as your jeep or its considered "modified" and is a fail

XJ Wheeler
10-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Seems like an engine cover might be a good addition then.

bigjim350
10-10-2012, 01:47 AM
I have however thought about a new JK. It's damn near the same thing as a XJ. Just at the ton of $40K I'm not so eager to jump to the dealership.

Sorry , JK is not like a XJ, has a v6 minivan motor in it.....