PDA

View Full Version : Welcome bluesky!!!

cantab27
10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi bluesky, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

bluesky
10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks!

I come from a family of Jeep lovers but I just got my first. I just got a 1999 XJ that is pretty stock other than the stereo work I've done so far.

I'm excited to dive in though. First I'll be changing out all the fluids and just kinda going through it. Naturally I have the leaky valve cover and pretty sure the rear main is leaking... So I'll be looking for gaskets and the most recommended fluids.

Long term I'm looking at Rusty's long arm kits, rancho shocks and lift/tire size combos that work great on the XJs.

I know, I have a lot of reading ahead but I'm excited! Not only to make this old girl reliable but to have some real fun on my nearby Southern Oregon mountain trails.

Peace all - Look forward to learning!

w

prerunner1982
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma. 99s are generally considered to be the best year for the XJ.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome Wes. Where at in So OR? I used to live in Albany and did a lot of wheeling on that side of the Cascades

Mudderoy
10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks!

I come from a family of Jeep lovers but I just got my first. I just got a 1999 XJ that is pretty stock other than the stereo work I've done so far.

I'm excited to dive in though. First I'll be changing out all the fluids and just kinda going through it. Naturally I have the leaky valve cover and pretty sure the rear main is leaking... So I'll be looking for gaskets and the most recommended fluids.

Long term I'm looking at Rusty's long arm kits, rancho shocks and lift/tire size combos that work great on the XJs.

I know, I have a lot of reading ahead but I'm excited! Not only to make this old girl reliable but to have some real fun on my nearby Southern Oregon mountain trails.

Peace all - Look forward to learning!

w

Make sure that rear main seal leak isn't a leak from the oil filter adapter. I've read where people have gone to the trouble to replace the rear main seal only to find it was one, or more, of the three "O" rings that the oil filter adapter uses.

:welcome: to :xjtalk: :thumbsup:

bluedragon436
10-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Welcome to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!!

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome to xjTalk Wes from Texas. Doing ya maintenance first, always a good idea. One that often slips my mind.

bluesky
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma. 99s are generally considered to be the best year for the XJ.

Hey that's cool to hear! I wonder why that is?? Maybe they had just refined a lot of issues over the years, huh? From what I understand that was the case for electrical issues - oddly enough this one does have some flakey window controls. Seem almost like the child lock is stuck on... Works from the driver seat though. *better than nothing*:thumbsup:

I looked at so many! This one just turned out to have the most going for it and fit the budget. So far I really like cruising it.

XJ Wheeler
10-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey that's cool to hear! I wonder why that is?? Maybe they had just refined a lot of issues over the years, huh? From what I understand that was the case for electrical issues - oddly enough this one does have some flakey window controls. Seem almost like the child lock is stuck on... Works from the driver seat though. *better than nothing*:thumbsup:

I looked at so many! This one just turned out to have the most going for it and fit the budget. So far I really like cruising it.

The reason it is said the '99 is best is for a few reasons. The '99 had the "horseshoe" intake manifold that produces more hp. Also it was the last year before jeep switched the ignition to distributor-less, and the front axle to low pinion.

Also, that problem with the window switches is common among the late models. I haven't had to deal with it but some with that have could probably give more info.

bluesky
10-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Welcome Wes. Where at in So OR? I used to live in Albany and did a lot of wheeling on that side of the Cascades

Rogue Valley here! We've really got it good when it comes to offroad access around here... Can be on fire roads in less that 10min and crawling in 20! I like to ride dirt bikes too and this is such a great place for Dual Sport bikes because it's all so close.

Where did leave this place for?

bluesky
10-08-2012, 11:51 PM
The reason it is said the '99 is best is for a few reasons. The '99 had the "horseshoe" intake manifold that produces more hp. Also it was the last year before jeep switched the ignition to distributor-less, and the front axle to low pinion.

Also, that problem with the window switches is common among the late models. I haven't had to deal with it but some with that have could probably give more info.

Awesome! I hadn't heard/read that about the intake OR the ignition change up... Guess I got lucky there! This is what I love about these forums; knowledgeable, cool peeps that are passionate about their common hobby!

I'll do some rootin' around on here to see what I can find about the windows. Hoping it's not too big of a deal, it sounds like a great deal of the electronic window issues stem from the driver side controls..

XJ Wheeler
10-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Awesome! I hadn't heard/read that about the intake OR the ignition change up... Guess I got lucky there! This is what I love about these forums; knowledgeable, cool peeps that are passionate about their common hobby!

I'll do some rootin' around on here to see what I can find about the windows. Hoping it's not too big of a deal, it sounds like a great deal of the electronic window issues stem from the driver side controls..

I believe there might even an Article on the window switch issue, could be mistaken though.

This is a cool place, glad you found it.

bluesky
10-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Make sure that rear main seal leak isn't a leak from the oil filter adapter. I've read where people have gone to the trouble to replace the rear main seal only to find it was one, or more, of the three "O" rings that the oil filter adapter uses.

:welcome: to :xjtalk: :thumbsup:

Good advice! I did get in there and check it out over the weekend and I couldn't see anything obviously leaking around the adapter. Trippy little deal there, odd angle to get in to that oil filter... I took a sample of the oil and it looks really clean! The oil change outfit's sticker in the window says it's not due for 2k miles but three months ago... haha

Bought 6qts of syntec and a high mileage filter but I decided to give myself a week to see what others recommend for getting at the filter... seems like accessing it from the bottom is still the way to go, I had it on ramps though and it made it quite a reach up through the engine compartment. Looks like a oil sending unit right there too - bet it's easy to mash that thing if your not careful.

Looks like it's got a new air filter and the dif drain plugs have at least been out (indicating some sort of maintenance). I'll need to pick up a good pump, haven't had a good ol' 4x4 in a while - been AWD subis in our garage.

I want to do gaskets and reseal the drain plugs when I do the difs, all suggestions are welcome!

As for the rear main, I feel like I could really let this go for a while it's not dripping, it's just messy down there more than anything and I'd like to get to where I have a reference point not so many damn greasy parts down there... ha! for all know that could be oil coming all the way from the valve cover! :bang:

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Gotcha. We might have to get together some time. Rogue Valley is about 5.5 hours from me. We go to Astoria from time to time. Wife was born and raised there

bluesky
10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Gotcha. We might have to get together some time. Rogue Valley is about 5.5 hours from me. We go to Astoria from time to time. Wife was born and raised there

Do you mean Ashland maybe? I know Astoria, have family from there, do a family reunion in Canon Beach every year! That's up north though... Bet you meant Ashland - That is where I go to work everyday. :)

I would love to get together with some wheeler buddies for sure! I've contemplated a trip up north on the bike that touches very little highway, I think it dumps out pretty far east though. Already scoping hitch mounts for the bike, I could let momma drive and I could get it on two (maybe one) wheel(s) for a while! :D

Already getting the knowing nod and a wink from XJ drivers all over the place... Love the cult following! lol

Lets be in touch!

Peace

w

4.3LXJ
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
No, Astoria. Wife was raised out on Tucker Creek Rd. south of Youngs bay