PDA

View Full Version : 3D printers

4.3LXJ
10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
For those who don't know what a 3D printer is, they create layers of plastic in any shape you want. For instance, you can build an adjustable wrench from plastic that will have moving parts and actually work. Just think of the Jeep parts I could make. Like cup holder modifications I am working on, or overhead console for switches etc.

http://news.yahoo.com/3d-printers-conquer-consumer-market-144226050.html

TimmyTXJ
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
We have a 3d printer in the office. They are fantastic for proof of concept "toys". Like you said, you can actually make moveable pieces as well. Ours is fairly small so I can't print anything too big. Technology is awesome isn't it?

4.3LXJ
10-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I have seen vids of them in design situations. But just think if they were affordable for the average person. Might start putting the Chinese out of business on cheap stuff.

Mudderoy
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
In my opinion this is going to be the next big technical wave in the West. If you're a Star Trek: TNG fan you'll recognize these 3D printers as a crude replicator.

Plastic is just the first step, as they will be able to print most anything in the future or use materials that are as strong as their classic components.

And you're right, this will decimate the countries that are full of cheap labor. Information will be the big boom. Specially the designs you feed into the printer to make the things you want.

TimmyTXJ
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Just think... a neverending supply of all those stupid fiddly plastic pieces that are always breaking at your fingertips!

4.3LXJ
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Dream on ....

TimmyTXJ
10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
A little toy I printed out a few weeks ago. I'm fairly impressed with the level of detail considering it's size.