PDA

View Full Version : You know XJTalk is the forum for you...

Dredwolf
10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
When you try, yet once more, to find a thread, with relevant, useful info on the largest offroading website in the world, and run into an endless string of..... :mock: :sign0055: :mad0090: :rant: :shocker: :flameon: :flamewar: :deadhorse: within 3 posts before finding any useful info.

:xjtalk:

yep, I am happy here. :D

Brasscatz
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Happy ta have ya too! XJTalk.com is kinda like this.... :D

Cheers "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy - YouTube

Mudderoy
10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Happy ta have ya too! XJTalk.com is kinda like this.... :D

Cheers "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIVVVP_Nto)

It's funny you picked this song. It wasn't me, but a friend, member and then moderator that pushed the first name thing. I personally didn't like the idea of giving out any personal identity information on the Internet. Watching too much mainstream media I guess, but Rene (rguinard) liked knowing people's first name. So I added the ability of the first name to be entered into your profile, and then added it to your posts, so people could see your first name.

It has turned out to be a great idea, and gave :xjtalk: that personal touch that I think many people like, even though some are still surprised when they are replied to in a thread by their first name.

olds-cool
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I come here because I prefer smaller forums. I like getting to know people by their posts and learn to trust what certain people have to say based on what they've posted in the past. I also hate going to the larger forums and clicking on the new posts link. It always seems like you have to wade through 18 pages of useless poop just to find the 6 or 7 posts of interest. I'm a member on quite a few of them but rarely post a thing. I really only signed up on a few of them just so I could see the pics when I'm searching for something repair related.
I like the first name thing here too. It's more like a group of friends and less like a bunch of faceless weirdos who happen to like Jeeps. I dunno if any of you have ever had a get together of forum members but knowing people only by a screen name is ridiculous. If I meet someone in person I'm not going to refer to them a XQZ093T4 or PimpedOutPurpleXJ, I'd refer to them as Bob or Charlie, or whatever their real name is.

Mudderoy
10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I come here because I prefer smaller forums. I like getting to know people by their posts and learn to trust what certain people have to say based on what they've posted in the past. I also hate going to the larger forums and clicking on the new posts link. It always seems like you have to wade through 18 pages of useless poop just to find the 6 or 7 posts of interest. I'm a member on quite a few of them but rarely post a thing. I really only signed up on a few of them just so I could see the pics when I'm searching for something repair related.
I like the first name thing here too. It's more like a group of friends and less like a bunch of faceless weirdos who happen to like Jeeps. I dunno if any of you have ever had a get together of forum members but knowing people only by a screen name is ridiculous. If I meet someone in person I'm not going to refer to them a XQZ093T4 or PimpedOutPurpleXJ, I'd refer to them as Bob or Charlie, or whatever their real name is.

Looking forward and perhaps being a little too optimistic, I am concerned that as :xjtalk: gets to be the size of a NAXJA, JeepForum, etc... that we will lose much of the things that you like. I am certain that we will maintain the friendly atmosphere, but the wading through 18 pages of new posts is a concern of mine.

Still all in all it would be a great problem to have to tackle and solve. For all of us I hope.

Thanks for being a contributing member!

denverd1
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Looking forward and perhaps being a little too optimistic, I am concerned that as :xjtalk: gets to be the size of a NAXJA, JeepForum, etc... that we will lose much of the things that you like.
Thanks for being a contributing member!

ehh its kinda like that though... I've been an active member of one in particular that went from a close knit group like this to an absolute cluster**** of idiots. obviously, i'm not very active there any more and I suppose my interests changed too. unfortunately, thats part of the forum gaining in popularity. However, I did reach back and back hand some idiot on CF the other for telling someone to "go search" and that was quite fun.

BTW i'm typically only there researching stuff I can't find here. and that will change with time. Great forum and great folks! I'll admit the first name thing threw me a bit and took a while to get used to because it just doesn't happen in forums today, but it is a nice touch once I got used to looking for ppls names.

4.3LXJ
10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
One thing about first names is that it erases a little anonymity. Part of the forum bashing thing is that these guys can hide behind their screen and not have to be accountable for any rudeness. Also, even if this was a larger forum, Tony will just get more mods and keep it where and what it is now. Unlike other forums, we strive to keep this a friendly site and to answer all questions.

Dredwolf
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
One thing about first names is that it erases a little anonymity. Part of the forum bashing thing is that these guys can hide behind their screen and not have to be accountable for any rudeness. Also, even if this was a larger forum, Tony will just get more mods and keep it where and what it is now. Unlike other forums, we strive to keep this a friendly site and to answer all questions.

I like the first name idea as well....I have been "Dredwolf" for many, many years (pretty sure I am the original, at least in the old newsgroups), its the only name I use, but not everyone is that way.

People are entitled to opinions, but be decent about it, or at least act as you would if the person is across the table from you.

What drove my initial post was trying to find info on Engo winches....but every thread descended into "anything other than W@RN winches are :turd:, and anybody that does not agree is :female: or :gay: or :crazy: or :spongebob: or all of the above" junk, with ZERO of the actual performance feedback I was looking for. If I want to deal with that, I'll join my son playing on-line with the Xbox 360.

XJ Wheeler
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I have to admit, i kinda wish it would stay small like this. When i come on here it feels like i just walked into a room full of good friends. But, Tony's doing such a good job at making this place so enticing i know it will grow like a wildfire in a windstorm.

cpttuna
10-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I know I do not do it enough, but on this site you can expect to get a thankyou from someone for a useful post.people on this site are tremendous at not being critical when someone comments. I like to hear what people say(don't have to agree with them) and I feel very proud of the way I take care of the XJ's in the family with the help of the info I have picked up here.PS. Tony, call me Earl anytime.

denverd1
10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I like the first name idea as well....I have been "Dredwolf" for many, many years (pretty sure I am the original, at least in the old newsgroups), its the only name I use, but not everyone is that way.

People are entitled to opinions, but be decent about it, or at least act as you would if the person is across the table from you.

What drove my initial post was trying to find info on Engo winches....but every thread descended into "anything other than W@RN winches are :turd:, and anybody that does not agree is :female: or :gay: or :crazy: or :spongebob: or all of the above" junk, with ZERO of the actual performance feedback I was looking for. If I want to deal with that, I'll join my son playing on-line with the Xbox 360.

Dredwolf... I mean JOHN! buy that ENGO with confidence....

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9993&highlight=winch

NW99XJ
10-04-2012, 09:54 AM
You know :xjtalk: is the forum for you...

...when you spend more time in/on the chat than you do working...

Dredwolf
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
You know :xjtalk: is the forum for you...

...when you spend more time in/on the chat than you do working...

Step AWAY from the keyboard....

NW99XJ
10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Step AWAY from the keyboard....

NEVER! http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_455/1258825956Oy21cS.jpg

bluedragon436
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
You know it's for you when you spend more time on it in more countries than most people ever get a chance to travel to in the first place....and love every minute of time you spend on it no matter where I am... and getting to meet new folks that share my addiction!! And I also love the first names because I think it keeps it kind of a family.... or at least some really good friends that you can hang out with and talk with

matchframe
10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I am a member of many forums, most of them car related. I am even a moderator on the second largest Corvette site on the Internet. When my daughter wrecked her XJ last March, I started a search for Jeep sites because I know the value of information in these forums. I found XJtalk after a few days of trying to get info from other Jeep sites. I found that flaming was a sport on some of those sites. There was always one or two members that were sort of the forum's Yodas and if anyone disagreed with them they were flamed. I did not have time for that. XJTalk is by far the friendliest site on the Internet that I am aware of. Everyone here is quick to help out if they knew the solution and was a huge help to me last Spring. I finished my daughter's XJ last May and gave it back to her. Because the nature of XJTalk, I find myself checking in here most everyday because of the friends I made here. Great place to hang out!!!

Showtime3492
10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I am a member of many forums, most of them car related. I am even a moderator on the second largest Corvette site on the Internet. When my daughter wrecked her XJ last March, I started a search for Jeep sites because I know the value of information in these forums. I found XJtalk after a few days of trying to get info from other Jeep sites. I found that flaming was a sport on some of those sites. There was always one or two members that were sort of the forum's Yodas and if anyone disagreed with them they were flamed. I did not have time for that. XJTalk is by far the friendliest site on the Internet that I am aware of. Everyone here is quick to help out if they knew the solution and was a huge help to me last Spring. I finished my daughter's XJ last May and gave it back to her. Because the nature of XJTalk, I find myself checking in here most everyday because of the friends I made here. Great place to hang out!!!

X2 on that. This is a great forum. The "yoda's" on other forums drive me up the wall.

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Warning! This thread will be closed when someone suggests a GROUP HUG! :rolleye0012: :smiley-whacky119: :shocker:

EekGirl96
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
awww guys...group hug!

just kidding,...dont close the thread

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 01:41 PM
awww guys...group hug!

just kidding,...dont close the thread

Well it's different when a girl calls for a group hug. :rolleye0012:

EekGirl96
10-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Well it's different when a girl calls for a group hug. :rolleye0012:

one girl, a bunch of guys...too much of a sausage fest for me

4.3LXJ
10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds like Amber is out of the group hug :P

EekGirl96
10-04-2012, 01:56 PM
aw come on...I was hoping to be in the middle

makes me feel like a pimp

NW99XJ
10-04-2012, 01:56 PM
LOL A Group Hug She-Pimp!
AWESOME!

4.3LXJ
10-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Since you are the only woman, guaranteed:sign0181:

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Hmmm I thought you might be holding out for BACON!

EekGirl96
10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Hmmm I thought you might be holding out for BACON!

uhm how did bacon come into this?

NW99XJ
10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
There's ALWAYS room for BACON!

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 02:13 PM
uhm how did bacon come into this?

Sorry I guess I'm still hungry from lunch.

Besides that's always the choices for breakfast drive through, sausage or bacon!

Jeepster19
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Everyone at Xj talk makes you feel like family,to say the the least.I looked at several websites before Xjtalk,trying to find a decent one.Xjtalk is home for me as far as I'm concerned.Keep up the good work!:thumbsup::D

4x4Dalton
10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
when you can be gone for over a year and still hold the chat record lol.But seriously this is the greatest site online for XJ's hell jeeps in general.We all get along with each other as a big ole family. We all joke and kid each other bout our jeeps,life all kinds of stuff. What more could ya ask for from a great website?

Brasscatz
10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
when you can be gone for over a year and still hold the chat record lol.But seriously this is the greatest site online for XJ's hell jeeps in general.We all get along with each other as a big ole family. We all joke and kid each other bout our jeeps,life all kinds of stuff. What more could ya ask for from a great website?

X2! Great to hear from you again, Bear :p how's work going?

4x4Dalton
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
goin good bro. Just waitin til they hie me on full time then im set

Carves
10-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Where the hell have you been .. :mad:

Mums gettin real tired of setting the table for you ... coz you never turn up ....

4x4Dalton
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Where the hell have you been .. :mad:

Mums gettin real tired of setting the table for you ... coz you never turn up ....

I talked to mom shes ok with me stayin out late.You on the other hand lol

Dredwolf
10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
You know it's for you when you spend more time on it in more countries than most people ever get a chance to travel to in the first place....and love every minute of time you spend on it no matter where I am... and getting to meet new folks that share my addiction!! And I also love the first names because I think it keeps it kind of a family.... or at least some really good friends that you can hang out with and talk with

I wish I had found this forum when I was working in the sandbox, it was hard to not daydream about off-roading with all the awesome potential trails around....Taliban might have made it a little rough though...

Dredwolf
10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
X2 on that. This is a great forum. The "yoda's" on other forums drive me up the wall.

You can say that 4 more times....I have gotten some good deals on things through other forums, but the sheer amount of shit being slung is :crazy:.

In a matter of minutes on those forums, if your entire rig is not TIG welded DOM tube with a blown big block, full hydro steering, custom Dana 80's with 42" PitBulls, you are a :smiley-laughing021:, and how dare you ask a question of the elite?

It got real old, real fast. I honestly can't remember how I found this board, but I lurked for awhile before posting.

It's nice to get answers and no :sign0055: or :flameon:

Dredwolf
10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Dredwolf... I mean JOHN! buy that ENGO with confidence....

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9993&highlight=winch

Ask my wife, I respond to many names...not all of which are on my driver's license...

Not to hijack my own thread, but post a update in that other thread....I have money for a winch and bumper in my XJ budget, and certain brands, while I am sure are great, aren't so great for the budget right now. The Engo looks promising, as does the Quadratec.

cantab27
10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
wow feeling the love in this thread...........................

prerunner1982
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
goin good bro. Just waitin til they hie me on full time then im set

hire you on full time....dang you barely have enough time for us as it is... :p

XJMJeep
10-05-2012, 12:53 AM
You know XJTalk is the forum for you...

When you wont post any pic's of your new Jeeps progress because it doesn't have an XJTalk sticker on it yet! :D

Seriously this is the best site on the net!
A big thank you to Tony & all the mods for keeping it that way