PDA

View Full Version : Problem going up inclines at high speeds

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
:o Hey all, it's me, your favorite Red Jeeping step child.....

So, my Jeep started jerking a bit whenever I was on the freeway going up hills at speeds of 55mph or more. The gauge cluster doesn't change, im a little stumped. Could this be a fuel issue, electrical issue. I have tried looking around here, and elsewhere, but maybe I am just searching the wrong terms?

Thanks.

Mudderoy
10-02-2012, 12:43 PM
:o Hey all, it's me, your favorite Red Jeeping step child.....

So, my Jeep started jerking a bit whenever I was on the freeway going up hills at speeds of 55mph or more. The gauge cluster doesn't change, im a little stumped. Could this be a fuel issue, electrical issue. I have tried looking around here, and elsewhere, but maybe I am just searching the wrong terms?

Thanks.

Are you increasing throttle when this happens, you know to maintain speed up the incline?

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I am increasing the throttle, I try to maintain my speed. It's a drive I have been making regularly for a few months, and it just started doing this.

Mudderoy
10-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I am increasing the throttle, I try to maintain my speed. It's a drive I have been making regularly for a few months, and it just started doing this.

I've been fighting an issue with my new motor. Won't go above 4,100 rpm, well not until I unbolted the exhaust from the header.

Something in my exhaust system is blocking the flow. May be the catalytic converter, but I'm not sure at this point.

A blockage in the exhaust system will show up and hotter coolant and lower max RPMs and MPH.

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
This may be a bad thing, but when I redid my cooling system I put in a 190 degree thermostat instead of the OEM. My temp gauge has never gone over 210. It actually sticks around 190 most of the time. I have debated whether or not to swap it out for the OEM.

I am not actually loosing any speed. The speed limit in this area is actually 75mph, so I am usually doing about that. This issue will appear at any speed over 55mph. I am not loosing any rpm's either. Nothing on the gauge cluster is affected when this happens. It's almost like there's a hesitation, like if you removed your foot from the gas pedal, it's just a slight jerk like that. however, it continues to jerk even though I have accelerated and not let off the pedal.

I replaced the fuel filter for funnzies this morning. It still does it. I didn't think it would fix it, but I figured why not.

I am by no means, a mechanic. Some of the possibilities I have been considering are:
a: fuel system? Fuel pump? Fuel injectors?
b: Possible misfire?
c: spark/ignition system?
d: relay or sensor?

Also, I have ran BG through my fuel system, and my engine before. Should I do it again?

Mudderoy
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
This may be a bad thing, but when I redid my cooling system I put in a 190 degree thermostat instead of the OEM. My temp gauge has never gone over 210. It actually sticks around 190 most of the time. I have debated whether or not to swap it out for the OEM.

I am not actually loosing any speed. The speed limit in this area is actually 75mph, so I am usually doing about that. This issue will appear at any speed over 55mph. I am not loosing any rpm's either. Nothing on the gauge cluster is affected when this happens. It's almost like there's a hesitation, like if you removed your foot from the gas pedal, it's just a slight jerk like that. however, it continues to jerk even though I have accelerated and not let off the pedal.

I replaced the fuel filter for funnzies this morning. It still does it. I didn't think it would fix it, but I figured why not.

I am by no means, a mechanic. Some of the possibilities I have been considering are:
a: fuel system? Fuel pump? Fuel injectors?
b: Possible misfire?
c: spark/ignition system?
d: relay or sensor?

Also, I have ran BG through my fuel system, and my engine before. Should I do it again?

All this sounds good, but the additional load going up an incline has me thinking flow, certainly fuel flow could be a consideration. Now if it happened on flat level surface it would open up the possibility for many things. One being the CPS.

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I dread the CPS. Looks like I will be checking the exhaust. Thanks Mudderoy. :D

nickxj94
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I would check the fuel pressure see what its getting. Is the cel on?

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
nvm, I got it handled. :)

cel is not on, but I will check my engine codes.

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I am still not sure whats going on, but I will be picking up a gauge to check fuel pressure.

Do you think its safe to continue driving on the freeway?

Mudderoy
10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I am still not sure whats going on, but I will be picking up a gauge to check fuel pressure.

Do you think its safe to continue driving on the freeway?

If the coolant temp isn't high and really I guess it would depend on how bad it is bucking. You would be the best judge as to the safety of continued driving on the highway. Might be interesting to see what it does at a higher speed/rpm.